OT: Avalounge: What happens in Vegas...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Is anyone here a professional writer, by chance? I'm starting my Masters in Professional Creative Writing next month, and I don't really want to go in blind. I'll mainly be taking night classes and online classes, and I'm wondering how much outside reading I should expect in a program like this. Obviously it's going to be a lot, but is it A LOT a lot, or just a lot?
Is there a difference between a Professional Creative Writing course and a Creative Writing course?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Is there a difference between a Professional Creative Writing course and a Creative Writing course?
No idea. I took a decent amount of Creative Writing courses during my undergrad studies (some even in your homeland). I imagine Professional Creative Writing courses are a bit more time-consuming with reading and writing, but I suppose I'll find out here shortly.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
No idea. I took a decent amount of Creative Writing courses during my undergrad studies (some even in your homeland). I imagine Professional Creative Writing courses are a bit more time-consuming with reading and writing, but I suppose I'll find out here shortly.
Where have you studied?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Seattle University for one year, University of Denver for 2 years, and University of Exeter for 1 year. Took my business courses in Seattle and Denver, and primarily studied Creative Writing at Exeter.
The only thing I can deduce from this is that you must have been awfully good at the business courses.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The only thing I can deduce from this is that you must have been awfully good at the business courses.
Not sure if "good" is the correct word there. I showed up to class, which is really all you needed to do to pass those classes. Unfortunately, I received some outside pressure to pursue a business degree when what I really wanted to do was study writing. I haven't had the balls to chase my dreams until now. Hopefully it isn't too late.

Are you a Creative Writing student yourself?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Not sure if "good" is the correct word there. I showed up to class, which is really all you needed to do to pass those classes. Unfortunately, I received some outside pressure to pursue a business degree when what I really wanted to do was study writing. I haven't had the balls to chase my dreams until now. Hopefully it isn't too late.

My point being you must have been rich to go and study elsewhere. And no, fortunately I don't have to study anymore. Since I earned two degrees in my time on HFBoards I'll let you consider my posting history and wonder how I managed it.

I've never taken any creative writing classes but from what I remember from people who did there was a reasonable amount of research required for stuff, ie although you had to write your own thing for assessment you had to base it in some historical or contemporary setting and lay out what everything meant. I guess it depends on how the course is structured.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
My point being you must have been rich to go and study elsewhere. And no, fortunately I don't have to study anymore. Since I earned two degrees in my time on HFBoards I'll let you consider my posting history and wonder how I managed it.

I've never taken any creative writing classes but from what I remember from people who did there was a reasonable amount of research required for stuff, ie although you had to write your own thing for assessment you had to base it in some historical or contemporary setting and lay out what everything meant. I guess it depends on how the course is structured.
DU has a really good study abroad program, in that they have a lot of ties to decent schools worldwide and DU students have access to any of them, if they choose to study abroad. I chose Exeter because I had a childhood friend who had gone on to study there, and because London seemed overwhelming at the time (and low-key due to JK Rowling studying there - I'm not really into Creative Writing for the literary fiction). Where & what did you study? The only other schools I considered for study abroad were University of York and University of Lancaster. If you're from somewhere in the UK that isn't England, my apologies for referring to England as your "homeland."

True that about the course structure. My first course is going to be specifically tailored around short stories - their specific elements, layout, etc. - so that should be fun. All I've written in my life so far have been short stories, but I'd like to eventually become a novelist.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I’ll add that if you’re a fan of beer you’re in the right town. But there’s honestly SO many good breweries in the area that there are more good ones than you’ll be able to visit while here on vacation.
Some of the best ones in the state are a bit of a drive from Denver (new terrain, 4 noses [shameless plug, my husband manages it but they really are amazing], odd 13, Avery, etc) but you should be able to go to Rino and walk to some really good ones just in that neighborhood (ratio, black shirt, our mutual friend). You’re best bet might be googling
Seeing you mention Odd 13 is awesome. That was the first brewery that opened very close to where I grew up. I went on their very first day open and remember thinking, "damn this stuff is good." They have really gained a following around the front range and I visit frequently when I'm back home.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

I am on the same path as you. I went into business thinking it was going to be awesome. I’ve been successful at it but I’m going back for a masters in computer science now.

I might as well have gone on to 1-800-diploma and printed out a degree in business; that’s what it’s about worth these days. I’ve never felt more happier though than I am right now actually going after a degree that I truly care about and have a passion for.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I thought for the longest time that I should be striving for a degree in business or law or what have you. Luckily, before I actually applied, I realized I wasn't cut for anything of the like. Wasted a year thinking about it (made some savings though), and ended up in a much different line of work.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
DU has a really good study abroad program, in that they have a lot of ties to decent schools worldwide and DU students have access to any of them, if they choose to study abroad. I chose Exeter because I had a childhood friend who had gone on to study there, and because London seemed overwhelming at the time (and low-key due to JK Rowling studying there - I'm not really into Creative Writing for the literary fiction). Where & what did you study? The only other schools I considered for study abroad were University of York and University of Lancaster. If you're from somewhere in the UK that isn't England, my apologies for referring to England as your "homeland."

True that about the course structure. My first course is going to be specifically tailored around short stories - their specific elements, layout, etc. - so that should be fun. All I've written in my life so far have been short stories, but I'd like to eventually become a novelist.
I forgot about programs like that, you did well out of it going that far abroad. By the time I went to Master's level there did seem to be a lot more international students. Come to think of it there was only one who was local like me, though most had still studied at the same place before.

I was further north than you and only did regular English.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
My problem was that I would have gone to school for something like History or Theater, and neither of those degrees would have led me anywhere. I did community college for the basics while I thought about it, but in some ways I'm glad I didn't go to get my bachelor's degree because of the cost. I'm not cut out for any of the lucrative degrees, so it wasn't worth it. But at the same time, a four year degree would be helpful now that I'm suddednly unemployed and fed up with the industry I was in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My problem was that I would have gone to school for something like History or Theater, and neither of those degrees would have led me anywhere. I did community college for the basics while I thought about it, but in some ways I'm glad I didn't go to get my bachelor's degree because of the cost. I'm not cut out for any of the lucrative degrees, so it wasn't worth it. But at the same time, a four year degree would be helpful now that I'm suddednly unemployed and fed up with the industry I was in.
There's an interesting interview I came across the other month with Mike Rowe (the host of Dirty Jobs). First off, I came off quite surprised because the bloke is actually quite intelligent - I originally thought he was always one of those average hosts just appearing on TV because they needed a dude to appear on TV. That was far from the case and he brought up many good points about higher education such as if you aren't clearly passionate about the subject you're taking, you shouldn't get yourself in debt via loans (and what not). Of course it's just his opinion, but it was intriguing to hear his take because everyone else in your life tells you to go to college, get a degree, etc.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There's an interesting interview I came across the other month with Mike Rowe (the host of Dirty Jobs). First off, I came off quite surprised because the bloke is actually quite intelligent - I originally thought he was always one of those average hosts just appearing on TV because they needed a dude to appear on TV. That was far from the case and he brought up many good points about higher education such as if you aren't clearly passionate about the subject you're taking, you shouldn't get yourself in debt via loans (and what not). Of course it's just his opinion, but it was intriguing to hear his take because everyone else in your life tells you to go to college, get a degree, etc.
Yeah, it was always just expected that I would go to college, it's still that way for a lot of kids, and now they're in debt and their degree isn't something they'll ever use. The days when a degree was just your free ticket to the middle class are long gone. I may end up going to a trade school or something, I think that's probably a better investment than a traditional college and a humanities degree.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I wasted a lot of f***ing time and money going to university because my parents and society in general pressured me into it. Now that I know what I'm actually passionate about, I'm borderline excited to get back to classes. But those wasted years? Yeah f*** me. But then again with stuff like this I consider it a journey, if I didn't go through what I did maybe I don't get to where I am now.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I am on the same path as you. I went into business thinking it was going to be awesome. I’ve been successful at it but I’m going back for a masters in computer science now.

I might as well have gone on to 1-800-diploma and printed out a degree in business; that’s what it’s about worth these days. I’ve never felt more happier though than I am right now actually going after a degree that I truly care about and have a passion for.

I'd say I've been relatively successful in business, as well, but I realized pretty quickly into it that it's not something that I care about very much. And like you said, business degrees aren't worth anything anymore (except for Accounting because it's so specialized). I'm happy for you that you found something that interests you so strongly. Once I get started on my writing courses, I hope I feel as strongly as you do about Computer Science, haha.

I forgot about programs like that, you did well out of it going that far abroad. By the time I went to Master's level there did seem to be a lot more international students. Come to think of it there was only one who was local like me, though most had still studied at the same place before.

I was further north than you and only did regular English.

I know a lot of American students that studied in the UK due to the ease of not having to know a completely foreign language. I'd be lying if I said that didn't factor into my decision... Then again, I did experience some culture shock regardless of being able to understand the natives, so I miscalculated that entirely anyway.

Further north, eh? I only traveled three times while I was at Exeter - once to Plymouth, once to London, and once to Liverpool. Spent the longest time in Liverpool as I was there to take in a match at Anfield. I think that still ranks as the craziest sporting experience in my life. English football fans are straight up nuts. As for your degree, I kind of figured you did something with English/writing. Your game review posts on the Geek Emporium certainly stand out from the crowd, haha.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ceremony is in part of the UK where they try to speak English and fail miserably. :sarcasm:

I wasted a lot of ****ing time and money going to university because my parents and society in general pressured me into it. Now that I know what I'm actually passionate about, I'm borderline excited to get back to classes. But those wasted years? Yeah **** me. But then again with stuff like this I consider it a journey, if I didn't go through what I did maybe I don't get to where I am now.
Yeah, I wasted pretty much 1½ years of my life taking classes because I thought I wanted to be a Civil Engineer/Architect until I realised that I didn't want to work 55 hours a weeks as a startup in an already established company. I still quite like architecture though, but glad I didn't get a degree. I decided I rather work 60 with people having C-Diff and TB instead. :sarcasm:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Anybody have any phone recommendations? I have an LG G5 right now, which I love. However it's quite beat up and mangled. I don't really care about specs and that sort of thing, as long as it's fast, good battery, doesn't require 5 hands to use, and has a good camera. I freaking love the wide angle lens on this thing.

Anything above 400$ should have pretty good specs. I love the Pixel I have at work, but I'd never give up that much money for a phone. The difference in specs between a phone like that and my Huawei Mate 8 is minute in comparison to the difference in price. As for cameras, LGs have great ones ever since G3 and LG V20 is an amazing phone, probably the best I had and I had all kinds of phones from iPhone 5s, 6, 8, S7, Note, G4 thanks to the job, we have quite a bit of phones for testing, so I usually always grab one iOS and one Android and walk around with three phones like a moron. Now I'm eyeing the iPhone X that has been in the office for some time.

tl;dr

Pick a price range, go to Android Authority, see what they recommended in that range and get it. I really recommend that portal to anyone who considers themselves a Android fan.

On another note, David Lee is the man for laptop reviews, always love his videos. Down to the point, no annoying antics, does his homework and just covers everything you want to know about the device he is reviewing.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Scots sound like a posh south Englishman compared to some guys I worked with who were from western Connacth. Once we were in a meeting one of them held a presentation on some radios we need to install for O3 and at the end of the meeting one of my collagues from Dublin turned around and said "What the f*** is he talking about?".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad