OT: Avalounge: What happens in Vegas...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it's more than that. What's happening in your current situation doesn't mean it translates to later on in life. If you're miserable right now, it doesn't mean you're destined to be miserable - it simply means that it's happening for a reason (i.e. to help growth, fortitude, etc).

I personally don't believe it, simply because for me to wrap my head around the theory of predestination it means I have to believe there's some sort of higher-being that sets a course for each individual being, which I don't believe in the slightest.
I've been a miserable loser for 33 years, I think I can figure out the trajectory of my life by now. I don't believe in a higher power either, in part because if there is one, he certainly isn't on my side.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
After discovering what funnel cake is I certainly don't expect you to be eating that.

In general, not just at gigs.
me-im-going-to-start-eating-healthy-also-me-funnel-4114408.png

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I used to work at funnel cake stands at Elitch's in my teen years. Those fryers may be the most hazardous things to work around. It's basically an open bathtub full of hot, boiling grease, and of course the grease and batter get on the floor so it's slippery as all hell in front of said boiling vat of grease. I once burned the living shit out of my hand when I slipped and kicked up a big wave that splashed everywhere. Ended up having to go to the emergency room because of it. I still can't eat funnel cakes to this day.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I used to work at funnel cake stands at Elitch's in my teen years. Those fryers may be the most hazardous things to work around. It's basically an open bathtub full of hot, boiling grease, and of course the grease and batter get on the floor so it's slippery as all hell in front of said boiling vat of grease. I once burned the living **** out of my hand when I slipped and kicked up a big wave that splashed everywhere. Ended up having to go to the emergency room because of it. I still can't eat funnel cakes to this day.

Same, I used to have a similar kind of job in highschool. Used to burn the hell out of my arms, I think I have a video of one of my buddies getting burned...

Here we go.
m0xncZO.gif

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I’ll add that if you’re a fan of beer you’re in the right town. But there’s honestly SO many good breweries in the area that there are more good ones than you’ll be able to visit while here on vacation.
Some of the best ones in the state are a bit of a drive from Denver (new terrain, 4 noses [shameless plug, my husband manages it but they really are amazing], odd 13, Avery, etc) but you should be able to go to Rino and walk to some really good ones just in that neighborhood (ratio, black shirt, our mutual friend). You’re best bet might be googling

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah it’s been almost 10 years to the day since I lived in Colorado, about 15 since I lived in Denver. The East Coast has its cool spots and all, but there is something about being out west I’ll always miss. Maybe it’s the wide open spaces, the independent way people live, the mountains or the good ol’ dry snow, but there’s something transcendent about it to me. I’m sure Denver’s changed, but what a cool city and area to grow up in.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Yeah it’s been almost 10 years to the day since I lived in Colorado, about 15 since I lived in Denver. The East Coast has its cool spots and all, but there is something about being out west I’ll always miss. Maybe it’s the wide open spaces, the independent way people live, the mountains or the good ol’ dry snow, but there’s something transcendent about it to me. I’m sure Denver’s changed, but what a cool city and area to grow up in.

As Stegner said, "the road has always led west"

Might watch Into the Wild tonight.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Just got the best spam email of all time.

Subject line: "Toenail Fungus Ruined My Life Until I Found This".

I guess I should open it post haste....

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just got the best spam email of all time.

Subject line: "Toenail Fungus Ruined My Life Until I Found This".

I guess I should open it post haste....
I checked my trash folder the other day and had gotten some "FBI email" from like Turkey, (which I guess is a widespread scam attempt) and it was written sooo god damn badly. It said I had won some lottery and there was like a scam and the FBI had recovered my winnings and now the FBI were going to, I guess, wire me 8 million dollars.

The dude was trying to sound official of course, like the FBI might, and doing that they absolutely butchered the English language. First of all, this one sentence was five rows long on my laptop, but here's some of it:

", we want to let you know that one of the bank worker where your fund was deposited arrange with his friend to come as the owner of the E-mail that won the prize which they claim your fund, but now your fund has been recovered from them and the people that claim your fund has been arrested" End of the sentence, no full stop.

Oh, good thing you emailed me, the FBI. Hey, only send this to the Nordics if you finished elementary school.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is the first season of Big Brother that I've watched live and these might be the dumbest suckers ever on BB. The few dudes who know what they are doing aren't even needing to be that good, the other side is just so bad. Like god damn.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm excited to come to Denver on Wednesday. Heading to the Rockies game that night. And then I think I'll do some nature stuff during the days Thursday and Friday. Beer all days, of course. Then I'm there til Monday morning.

I was able to use my Marriott points to get a free stay in Cherry Creek. Which is apparently a nice neighborhood.

Cannot wait to get away from work. :laugh:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is the first season of Big Brother that I've watched live and these might be the dumbest suckers ever on BB. The few dudes who know what they are doing aren't even needing to be that good, the other side is just so bad. Like god damn.

I haven't watched the past few seasons, the last good one was when Derrick won imo

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The last two seasons where pretty good even though Paul ran that house in season 19, but this season “the other side of the house” is sooooo dumb.
I miss the old school BB. Once the Rachel era started I quickly lost most interest in the show. BB Canada I love though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I miss the old school BB. Once the Rachel era started I quickly lost most interest in the show. BB Canada I love though.

I’ve still never hated someone as much as Rachel lol, but there have been some good seasons since then. Dan’s 2nd season (14 or 15) was amazing, both Paul seasons (18 & 19) were great, and celebrity BB was good to

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Anybody have any phone recommendations? I have an LG G5 right now, which I love. However it's quite beat up and mangled. I don't really care about specs and that sort of thing, as long as it's fast, good battery, doesn't require 5 hands to use, and has a good camera. I freaking love the wide angle lens on this thing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Anybody have any phone recommendations? I have an LG G5 right now, which I love. However it's quite beat up and mangled. I don't really care about specs and that sort of thing, as long as it's fast, good battery, doesn't require 5 hands to use, and has a good camera. I freaking love the wide angle lens on this thing.

I like my Google Pixel 2 but definitely fear they're stalking me.

Oh well, it's a good phone. :laugh:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Is anyone here a professional writer, by chance? I'm starting my Masters in Professional Creative Writing next month, and I don't really want to go in blind. I'll mainly be taking night classes and online classes, and I'm wondering how much outside reading I should expect in a program like this. Obviously it's going to be a lot, but is it A LOT a lot, or just a lot?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Is anyone here a professional writer, by chance? I'm starting my Masters in Professional Creative Writing next month, and I don't really want to go in blind. I'll mainly be taking night classes and online classes, and I'm wondering how much outside reading I should expect in a program like this. Obviously it's going to be a lot, but is it A LOT a lot, or just a lot?
I've written a lot in the past...

...when Penthouse was a popular magazine.
So if you're thinking of "fantasy literature", you know who to turn to.

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad