OT: Avalounge: What happens in Vegas...

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I wish I was able to still look at post counts from the last threads. I miss posting those in the new threads.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
So I have a dilemma. I've talked about this with friends and my sister but I still don't know what I should do. Basically I have roughly 2 years left of my undergrad, living in a fairly expensive city, most of my friends are there, I enjoy life in the city. I'm piling up the debt and that's something that I absolutely hate.

However, at a university much closer to home there is a program, or a joint program that is ideal for what I want to get into and would be 100x cheaper as I would be living back at home and just commuting back and forth.

I'm basically really struggling with what is better/smarter, socially and independence wise I absolutely do not want to move back home and find a way to make it work in the city. But.. It would make so much more sense financially and I could focus 110% on my studies now that I know what I want career wise. And also being closer to family, but I feel like I might also lose my mind living back home.

Some of my friends say move back home and focus 110% now that I know what I want, others say it'd be a good challenge to stay in the city and not take the easier route, so yeah.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
If they’re really your friends then it doesn’t matter where you live

Also I hate to break it to you but over the span of life and changes (marriage, babies, etc) your friends will change. Some of them will completely disappear and some new ones will arrive.

It sucks but that’s just life.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Can you get a cheap place near home, and still be able to commute, save money, and dedicate the vast majority of your time on your studies?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
So I have a dilemma. I've talked about this with friends and my sister but I still don't know what I should do. Basically I have roughly 2 years left of my undergrad, living in a fairly expensive city, most of my friends are there, I enjoy life in the city. I'm piling up the debt and that's something that I absolutely hate.

However, at a university much closer to home there is a program, or a joint program that is ideal for what I want to get into and would be 100x cheaper as I would be living back at home and just commuting back and forth.

I'm basically really struggling with what is better/smarter, socially and independence wise I absolutely do not want to move back home and find a way to make it work in the city. But.. It would make so much more sense financially and I could focus 110% on my studies now that I know what I want career wise. And also being closer to family, but I feel like I might also lose my mind living back home.

Some of my friends say move back home and focus 110% now that I know what I want, others say it'd be a good challenge to stay in the city and not take the easier route, so yeah.

I replied in the previous thread but I'm not sure if you saw. Here's what I said:
To answer this, I'd suggest asking yourself where you want to be in the future (say 5 and 10 years from now) in terms of both professional and personal life, and ask yourself which option is more likely to get you to where you want to be. I don't know which one that is, but hopefully you do.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Can you get a cheap place near home, and still be able to commute, save money, and dedicate the vast majority of your time on your studies?

Probably can yeah, but if I were to do it that would be something I'd transition into doing later on.

If they’re really your friends then it doesn’t matter where you live

Also I hate to break it to you but over the span of life and changes (marriage, babies, etc) your friends will change. Some of them will completely disappear and some new ones will arrive.

It sucks but that’s just life.

Oh yeah 100%, it's more-so just the social aspect of it as 99% of people that I knew growing up have moved away. So it'll basically be strictly all about university, which is good in a way obviously but not having anyone really around for at least a year will suck. Some days I really think I'll do it and others I think no way, short term pain vs long term gain type of thing.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Someone could always manually keep track of how many posts everyone has in the thread.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
My anxiety manifests itself in the long term so I always think about that when making decisions. I’m already stressed about retirement.
Also always take the easy route lol

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Can the big city be viewed as an investment? Will you get better exposure or internships that will lead to better jobs and allow you to pay down debt more quickly?

Even if not, I can still see why it’s be a tough decision. My wife and I could have a higher income and lower cost of living if we moved, but we don’t want to leave our friends. Those factors can be more important than money.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Can the big city be viewed as an investment? Will you get better exposure or internships that will lead to better jobs and allow you to pay down debt more quickly?

Even if not, I can still see why it’s be a tough decision. My wife and I could have a higher income and lower cost of living if we moved, but we don’t want to leave our friends. Those factors can be more important than money.
Ah yes, that is something I didn't mention too. A lot more opportunity and being the capital of Canada it has a way more research institutions/centres, along with seminars, field studies, etc. So there's definitely pros and cons to both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad