GDT: Avalanche vs Red Wings 2/22/24 @5:00 PM (Emergency GDT) In the house of our old Rivals.

What's the best American candy bar?

• Total voters

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Agreed some muscle would help Makar. He needs to spend his summer with 29. Enough of this BS whatever he's doing in Calgary, time to hit the training program hard with 29.
oh yeah I agree totally, get him down here to NS put him out on a fishing boat hauling lobster traps lol.

Seriously I think it would be good for Makar to train with Mack, Crosby and Marchand

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not sure that he's some blobby fatty. But the term frail Cale isn't without reason. Guy could absolutely benefit from some additional muscle, he appears very lean.
That's just silly, I don't know why that notion continues to persist. It's been proven wrong time and again. Reportedly Sammy bulked up the last couple seasons, he actually became MORE injury prone. Because it slowed him down. That is the LAST thing I want to see Cale do.

I really do hope you're not suggesting the very injury-prone Josh Manson is "too lean."

The one thing I'd like to see Cale do better is avoid hard checks better. It's one of the few things he's just not good at. I wish they'd put in a call to Cliff Ronning, who once said he had a long NHL career despite not being a big guy because he learned to roll off hits. Makar could easily learn that skill and it would help those times he gets absolutely crunched fighting through forechecks.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That's just silly, I don't know why that notion continues to persist. It's been proven wrong time and again. Reportedly Sammy bulked up the last couple seasons, he actually became MORE injury prone. Because it slowed him down. That is the LAST thing I want to see Cale do.

I really do hope you're not suggesting the very injury-prone Josh Manson is "too lean."

The one thing I'd like to see Cale do better is avoid hard checks better. It's one of the few things he's just not good at. I wish they'd put in a call to Cliff Ronning, who once said he had a long NHL career despite not being a big guy because he learned to roll off hits. Makar could easily learn that skill and it would help those times he gets absolutely crunched fighting through forechecks.
Whats funny I just watched a Foppa hit clip where Foppa drills lil big man Cliff at center ice haha that might have been the only time I recall Cliff getting hit like that. I remember in Vancouver the guy was so elusive.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Kid's being really hard on himself

No lies told. Hes been trash for awhile. Its not just the lack of points its the defensive side of things. I personally think the minutes gave caught up to him and Mackinnon. Makar being hurt this entire time AND having to play those minutes probably doesnt help.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I don't really care what Cale does in terms of his physique and training. I just want him to be able to play 82 games and playoffs relatively healthy. Unfortunately he hasn't really done that much through this career so it might be time for him to reevaluate his offseason training.

As for Manson I could give 2 f***s what he does, he's a average player that doesn't move the needle much if he does it doesn't play. Cale on the other hand makes a big difference when healthy, he can't continue to miss time or always play hurt.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't really care what Cale does in terms of his physique and training. I just want him to be able to play 82 games and playoffs relatively healthy. Unfortunately he hasn't really done that much through this career so it might be time for him to reevaluate his offseason training.

As for Manson I could give 2 f***s what he does, he's a average player that doesn't move the needle much if he does it doesn't play. Cale on the other hand makes a big difference when healthy, he can't continue to miss time or always play hurt.
You are missing the point. Bulking up won't do shit to make him a more durable player. That's a myth. If there was an ounce of truth to it Phil Kessel would not be the current ironman record holder. Being big and muscular won't make you invulnerable. As stated before, Sammy was told somewhere along the line to bulk up and it had the exact opposite effect.

Some players are simply more prone to injury than others. There's no real science to it. Some of it can be predicated on their style of play, but most of it is just how a person's body holds up to the rigors of a high-impact sport, and sheer dumb luck.

Frustrating as it may be, Cale is just gonna be one of those guys who gets injured. Not his fault or anyone else's...I'd like for him to learn more about possibly avoiding or rolling off checks but in the end I doubt that'll make a gigantic difference.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Remember when MacKinnon came back from summer after swallowing the gym and was absolutely terrible? I'm sure a player whose game is centred around dynamic skating and agility would benefit from an extra ten pounds of forearm.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Remember when MacKinnon came back from summer after swallowing the gym and was absolutely terrible? I'm sure a player whose game is centred around dynamic skating and agility would benefit from an extra ten pounds of forearm.
No one is asking Cale to go hulk mode, but try something different. Like f*** it's not working right now, every year he's got something going on.

I get some players are injury prone, but just try something different, who knows maybe it helps, maybe doesn't, and he's just injury prone but at least give something new a shot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Couple mistakes, special teams, and lack of execution again on shots and passes were enough to lose this game.

Classic Avs loss. They’re the better team, but they just let the opposition stay in the game by not having enough killer instinct, and the other team shows them what killer instinct looks like by beating them. They work hard, play great fundamental hockey, and dominate in the O zone for most of the night, but just can’t execute on their shots.

It’s like they put all their effort and focus into all the details of their game, but then when they get a scoring chance, or go to shoot the puck, they relax thinking the pucks just gonna go in by itself because they’re the better team. No you gotta finish off the play. Look at how Kane tried to fire the puck through the net on the GWG.

Annunen played great for 99.9% of the game, but played that first goal terribly. He was so deep in his net with holes everywhere, he looked like a shooter tutor. Way too easy to score there.

Then Nate for some reason in OT decides to leave his man Kane to cover Larkin who Toews clearly had. Not sure what he was thinking there.

Both the PK and PP have been letting the team down big time lately. So strange. Both units are capable of being outstanding, and have been outstanding this year, but they’re so inconsistent. Especially the PP, it’s always been like that with the guys they have. They’ve got to get more traffic and bear down on their shots, because they shouldn’t be missing on so many chances.

Man that OT goal would have been sweet by Byram. He was flying too at 24 mph. Hopefully that settles whether he’s a good skater or not. He just doesn’t always play at that pace, he likes to slow the game down. Thought he played another outstanding game. Lots of great subtle defensive plays and good gaps.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I’m probably the biggest RyJo fan on this board. I 100% get the risk they took… I also stated it was very boom or bust. Results matter and not having a 2C for two seasons could very easily mean this core lost their next two best chances at a Cup. Very possibly, the Cup window closes. That shouldn’t be acceptable when you have 2 of the top 5 players in the league and arguably another top 10 (at least 15).

To my eyes, his effort and defense are a step back. They were never high, but there are so many moments where he just gives zero shits. He’s just so talented he can cover stuff up so easily with gathering points.
When I was speaking about boom or bust. That was pretty much remembering what you had to say about ryjo this summer. We’ll find out soon enough if we need to start calling for heads. I usually try to reason things out… like when we heard the Avs were looking at those coyotes players. And then trying Colton out with lehky. I’m trying to find patterns. Then again I can barely type the English language so everyone should take anything I say with 50 grains of salt

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Couple mistakes, special teams, and lack of execution again on shots and passes were enough to lose this game.

Classic Avs loss. They’re the better team, but they just let the opposition stay in the game by not having enough killer instinct, and the other team shows them what killer instinct looks like by beating them. They work hard, play great fundamental hockey, and dominate in the O zone for most of the night, but just can’t execute on their shots.

It’s like they put all their effort and focus into all the details of their game, but then when they get a scoring chance, or go to shoot the puck, they relax thinking the pucks just gonna go in by itself because they’re the better team. No you gotta finish off the play. Look at how Kane tried to fire the puck through the net on the GWG.

Annunen played great for 99.9% of the game, but played that first goal terribly. He was so deep in his net with holes everywhere, he looked like a shooter tutor. Way too easy to score there.

Then Nate for some reason in OT decides to leave his man Kane to cover Larkin who Toews clearly had. Not sure what he was thinking there.

Both the PK and PP have been letting the team down big time lately. So strange. Both units are capable of being outstanding, and have been outstanding this year, but they’re so inconsistent. Especially the PP, it’s always been like that with the guys they have. They’ve got to get more traffic and bear down on their shots, because they shouldn’t be missing on so many chances.

Man that OT goal would have been sweet by Byram. He was flying too at 24 mph. Hopefully that settles whether he’s a good skater or not. He just doesn’t always play at that pace, he likes to slow the game down. Thought he played another outstanding game. Lots of great subtle defensive plays and good gaps.

I fully believe some of the trash games this team puts up, or even moments of mental mistakes are due to one Bednar's system sometimes catching up to them, and then two literally everyone outside of the core playing in positions above their weight class. Then you add in the extra minutes our core gets..

Fatigue can be a cumulative effect that isn't well measured, but the entire f***ing team outside of a couple guys play too much.

LOC & Cogs are both less effective in 3rd line roles after a while.

It's painful to watch at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad