GDT: Avalanche vs Ducks 12/05/23 7:00PM @ Ball Arena. Too many ducks. (Emergency GDT)

Cheese?

• What?

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Yes!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Ew no!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cheeeeeeeeeese!!!!!

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wouldn’t want JTC to be the Avs 2C, and if this is the RyJo we gonna get all season and playoffs, I don’t want him either. Can we just get a better 2C?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don’t know what the hell is wrong with Mikko but he was far and away the worst player for Colorado tonight.

Avs didn’t look great but they also had kind of a piecemeal roster that’s only going to get more piecemeal if Byram misses an extended amount of time.

Kinda liked Olausson, good wheels, good shot. Maybe there’s something there.

Lastly, I didn’t see up close what happened between Max Jones and Logan O’Connor but I did see the Jones hit on Byram and, sorry to say that was perfectly legal IMO.

Anyway, good to see the losing streak end and another highlight reel MacDermid goal to boot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pining for Compher, knowing that he only played at a 2C level for about half a season during their Cup year, is like pining for Kadri, knowing that most the board wanted him gone before his contract year, and that he's reverted back to a 55 point player since. And I liked Naz and said he'd have a good season that year.

The Avs couldn't have decent depth if they spent more than $4M on a 2C this year. They could either bring in a 3C who definitely wasn't a 2C for that price, or gamble on someone like RJ.

If they spent more on the kind of 2C some want, then they'd inevitably be complaining about the Avs lack of depth. Can't have it both ways.

RJ hasn't consistetnly played the way they need him to yet, but he's played better recently, plays his best hockey in the playoffs every year, and even though they helped the team, Kadri and JTC weren't the 2C solution moving forward. All of that is very clear IMO.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t know what the hell is wrong with Mikko but he was far and away the worst player for Colorado tonight.

Avs didn’t look great but they also had kind of a piecemeal roster that’s only going to get more piecemeal if Byram misses an extended amount of time.

Kinda liked Olausson, good wheels, good shot. Maybe there’s something there.

Lastly, I didn’t see up close what happened between Max Jones and Logan O’Connor but I did see the Jones hit on Byram and, sorry to say that was perfectly legal IMO.

Anyway, good to see the losing streak end and another highlight reel MacDermid goal to boot.
I think O'Connor went after him because Byram's head snapped back. You could see him arguing a hit to the head as he skates off, not realizing it was sheer force that caused Byram's head to snap.

Reactions: Foppa2118

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not gonna lie I didn't mind Olausson all that much tonight.

And f*** me, he's got an absolute heater of a shot. When he came down the left side in the 3rd period and took a snap shot from the top of the circle, it was a laser headed right for Gibson's helmet and he barely shook it off.

The Olausson - Colton - Rantanen line got killed in possession numbers tonight so that's a negative. But he seemed to look ok at times offensively.
I hope that give that line a chance for a few games. I think it could be solid.

Throw Nuke in with 29 and Drouin for a few games.

Pining for Compher, knowing that he only played at a 2C level for about half a season during their Cup year, is like pining for Kadri, knowing that most the board wanted him gone before his contract year, and that he's reverted back to a 55 point player since. And I liked Naz and said he'd have a good season that year.

The Avs couldn't have decent depth if they spent more than $4M on a 2C this year. They could either bring in a 3C who definitely wasn't a 2C for that price, or gamble on someone like RJ.

If they spent more on the kind of 2C some want, then they'd inevitably be complaining about the Avs lack of depth. Can't have it both ways.

RJ hasn't consistetnly played the way they need him to yet, but he's played better recently, plays his best hockey in the playoffs every year, and even though they helped the team, Kadri and JTC weren't the 2C solution moving forward. All of that is very clear IMO.
Not pining for JTC, just pointing out that he is much better than RyJo at this point their careers.

RyJo sucks and is getting worse every game. Like how much more do you need to know when he gets 11 mins and no PP time in an injury riddled lineup. Guy is completely done and Bednar knows it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It'd be tempting to play a game with no 2C. Just start your second line from the bench every time and throw a random player out with them. Center, winger, dman...doesn't matter. They should all be better than RyJo at everything except faceoffs. This would be another way to give a little more ice time to guys that jumping.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not pining for JTC, just pointing out that he is much better than RyJo at this point their careers.

RyJo sucks and is getting worse every game. Like how much more do you need to know when he gets 11 mins and no PP time in an injury riddled lineup. Guy is completely done and Bednar knows it.

I don't think RJ's played the way he needs to yet. Maybe that stays the case, but I also know it's a fool's errand to make definitive claims 25 games into a season with an entirely new team, and new linesmates. This has proven true countless times over the years.

And even if he produces less than Compher in the regular season, his track record is better than Compher's in the playoffs, so if he performs well there again, he'll be an objectively better option than Compher at 2C.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Also, he's a cheap winger that we can slot in right next to our 13+M dollar man and it works. Could you imagine if Drouin-MacKinnon-Lehkonen could work full time next season? That really allows for flexibility. Nuke-RyJorReplacment-Rantanen should be a very solid second line.

Always been my problem with keeping Nate and Miko (all the dollars) on one line. None of them ever play at 100% because they relay on the overall talent to win the games for them, especially since they got $7 and #8 out there with them 100% of the time as well. Give them lesser teammates and remind them they are paid to be the best player on their respective lines. They need to deliver and figure it out.

I honestly believe Bednar has been kowtowing to Nate and Rants for far too long at 5v5 and am glad to see he changed it up tonight.

I've said this many times, but Nate and Mikko don't have a real natural chemistry. They really need Landeskog to work.

Get those two away from each other, and pit them against each other. You suck if you're not pulling your weight that night.

You two f***ers are making more than some entire lines make. You f***in run your own line.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
That's fine but JTC is 10x the hockey player that RyJo is at this point.
Yet not good enough. He was not the answer either. Not sure why you keep defending JTC. Good third liner. That's about it.

Yeah, Zegras has two points in 12 games. MacDermid has two points in six.
Adjust to played minutes and that's like four times as many points per minute. MacDermid is a monster.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Fell asleep after the 2nd period and am glad to see the boys pulled through as predicted. That SHG pisses me off and I didn't even see it happen when the game was actually going. I can't imagine the rage in here when that went down. Anyways, a W with half a roster is something I guess. Wonder how Blondie is fairing because if he's going to miss significant time, we're done.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, Zegras has two points in 12 games. MacDermid has two points in six.

Zegras has become too much of a celebrity. MacDermid too much of a bodyguard, Celebrities always fall eventually, but bodyguards? Nowhere to go but up

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Finally Mack played to his standards but Rantanten probably had the worst game in his career. I think RyJo needs to be 13th forward and only get some pp time to plant his fat ass infront of the goal and do the draws. He is not capable of moving. Bednar should play Oloffson as center with Drouin and Tatar or totaly mix the lines.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Saw the highlights. My boy Kurtis with a slick F'in goal- takes the pass on his skate, kicks it to his stick, and rips twine. MacK himself would have thrown a hissy-fit if someone had passed the puck into his skates, MacDermid was unfazed. More goals than Tatar on the season, a better shot than Mikko has made in a month, and so intimidating the refs gave him a BS penalty for talking to a teenage boy who had found his way onto the ice.

December is the time to work out chemistry problems, win through injuries, and see who's worth keeping and who needs to be replaced.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Rants looked dreadful as is becoming the norm through the first 2 periods (didn't watch the 3rd). That giveaway on the PP for the SHG against is unforgivable IMO. Dude is barely even going through the motions.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't think RJ's played the way he needs to yet. Maybe that stays the case, but I also know it's a fool's errand to make definitive claims 25 games into a season with an entirely new team, and new linesmates. This has proven true countless times over the years.

And even if he produces less than Compher in the regular season, his track record is better than Compher's in the playoffs, so if he performs well there again, he'll be an objectively better option than Compher at 2C.
RyJo isn't hitting 40 pts, maybe 30 if he's lucky. He's too lazy, so unless the puck goes right to him or some puts it on his stick he'll just coast around virtually invisible.

I mean we can sit and try to predict playoffs and say his track record is better than JTC etc. But I'd say there is a better chance of him being benched far before the playoffs than RyJo actually being productive in a playoff series.

Guy is simply not playing at an NHL level, or even really close at this point. If he didn't have a 4M price tag he'd been benched by now.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Finally Mack played to his standards but Rantanten probably had the worst game in his career. I think RyJo needs to be 13th forward and only get some pp time to plant his fat ass infront of the goal and do the draws. He is not capable of moving. Bednar should play Oloffson as center with Drouin and Tatar or totaly mix the lines.
Not super surprised that 29 had his best game in awhile the second he got away from 96. Hell they even gave Nate the weaker linemates on paper and he made them both look good. 96 f***ed around and was giving the other team breakaways.

Everyone keeps telling me that 29 is playing like shit, but I be really think the main problem with 29 was 96 was playing far worse. It's hard to look decent when your supposed superstar linemate fumbles every pass, misreads every play, isn't finishing nice passes, has countless turnovers etc.

IMO 29 has been ok, he can play better, and looked much better last night. 96 has been the real problem and just looks disinterested.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
How does this team just lose its mind at the end of periods and games?! So many breakdowns.
My theory on this issue is that Bednar's system demands a lot of effort so they will always be more tired than the other team at the end of periods and especially the 3rd. That is why it is very important the Avs have very good 3rd and 4th lines so they can roll all lines to keep everybody fairly fresh. Unfortunately our 2nd line is a lot worst than it should be and that issue is more evident due to Landy, Nuke and Lehky out at the same time.

He's good, but he kind of gave away that he does indeed talk to the trainers after the game. He just knows he can't let concussion talk creep in with Bo if that's not the case.
I don't think it does because he most likely got an update from the trainers during the 2nd intermission.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Force Mikko to be 3C until starts playing better.
Lehks Nate LOC
Colton RyJo Nuke
Wood Mikko Tatar
Cogs olofsson Kiviranta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad