GDT: Avalanche vs Devils | 8 PM MT | On a Roll

Let him that hath understanding of intangibles count the score for tonight.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I just want to know in what world we call this shoulder to shoulder. Come on guys.
:laugh:

Wait, there's an official named Grant Skeletor? WICKED.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I would rather the league set a standard where you get punished in proportion to your actions rather than punished in proportion to the injury you caused.

Colton just two-handed crosschecked a dude in the face with some degree of force. There are other ways to defend yourself in that situation that don't involve that degree of violence towards an opponent's head.
That's fine and dandy but the league has no consistency what so ever.

So if you aren't going to punish a guy like Okposo for taking a deliberate cheap shot that could have resulted in a major injury, then they can't punish Colton for a far lesser deliberate cheap shot that had no shot of causing the opposing player any real harm.

Sure Colton could have made a better choice, but Meier also sold a love tap. People need to get over the fact that it was an intentional cross check to head aspect. What really happened was Meier came at Colton aggressively acting like a tough guy, Colton doesn't know what Meier is doing to do so he throws his arm and stick up to protect himself. Turns out Meier was just acting tough and doesn't end up doing anything and Colton was already committed to protecting himself. Colton actually does pretty good too not absolutely clock him with the cross check.

Meier is fine and won't even have a bruise from the incident. The league gave Colton a fine, so they can say look we are paying attention. No reason to draw it out any further. Hopefully Colton makes a better choice next time, or he will get suspended.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So if you aren't going to punish a guy like Okposo for taking a deliberate cheap shot that could have resulted in a major injury, then they can't punish Colton for a far lesser deliberate cheap shot that had no shot of causing the opposing player any real harm.
Talk about that inconsistency and bias... just more on your side. The Okposo play was dangerous and dumb, but it wasn't especially a violent play. It was a slight shove that just was in a bad/vulnerable area and ended badly. Players absolutely should know better, but there wasn't ill intent there. That was a 2 minute penalty sort of play that can have serious injury consequences.

The hit by Colton was far more violent (and dangerous)... and especially so was the cross check. Colton should get a lot more punishment than Okposo did because his actions were worse. Colton's punishment is in the realm of fair.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I’m not sure if it was shared on here, but Bednar essentially said that he wants Colton to keep playing his game and disagreed with the calls.

Last night is the Ross Colton the Avalanche want. Not exactly that, but very close, and Bednar didn’t want Colton to have any thoughts otherwise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’m not sure if it was shared on here, but Bednar essentially said that he wants Colton to keep playing his game and disagreed with the calls.

Last night is the Ross Colton the Avalanche want. Not exactly that, but very close, and Bednar didn’t want Colton to have any thoughts otherwise.
Yup... he was brought in to walk this line, which means sometimes he will cross. This is Colton at his very best and what the Avs need out of him. Occasionally, this will happen.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So the hit from behind on Byram that smashed his face into the glass after he had been showing numbers for multiple seconds wasn't boarding, or a penalty.

The dirty and intentional cross check that Okposo made that almost killed Makar, wasn't violent, and just a two minute minor.

But Colton going to hit Hughes shoulder to shoulder and then Hughes turning his back to him at the last second was violent and dangerous and should get more than both?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I just want to know in what world we call this shoulder to shoulder. Come on guys.

It ended up being not shoulder to shoulder but I still believe Rosco thought he was going to finish his check shoulder to shoulder. If you look at 0:24 in that video you can see that when Rosco started to make his move to bodycheck him they were shoulder to shoulder but more importantly Hughes was leaning towards Rosco. You can see that looking at Hughes' skates. Then as Rosco was already committed into his check Hughes turned his skates the other way to brake/pull out the other way and ended up being half shoulder to shoulder and half numbers.

I'm ok with the 2 min boarding penalty though because it was still a dangerous check considering the speed they were going and how far the boards were.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It ended up being not shoulder to shoulder but I still believe Rosco thought he was going to finish his check shoulder to shoulder. If you look at 0:24 in that video you can see that when Rosco started to make his move to bodycheck him they were shoulder to shoulder but more importantly Hughes was leaning towards Rosco. You can see that looking at Hughes' skates. Then as Rosco was already committed into his check Hughes turned his skates the other way to brake/pull out the other way and ended up being half shoulder to shoulder and half numbers.

I'm ok with the 2 min boarding penalty though because it was still a dangerous check considering the speed they were going and how far the boards were.
That's where I am at. Initially I thought it was clean but dangerous given where they were on the ice. But the replay does show that Hughes turns and Ross' shoulder hits him in the back. I legit could see it not being called if it was a 4th liner that got blown up.

That being said, I'd be pissed if Haula made that hit on MacKinnon, so I've got no problems with the 2 for boarding/roughing.

The cross-check though... That was a completely brain dead move. I still haven't seen a lead up to the cross check, just the split second before the stick hits him so I have no idea what it looked like as they were closing in on each other but still...that was a dum-dum move.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It didn't end up shoulder to shoulder, but it would have if Hughes hadn't turned his back at the last second. Look how much he turns in just a matter of a few feet.

Look how off balance he is in the last frame? Any hit on him is gonna send him flying into the boards.

Colton-Hughes-1.png

Colton-Hughes-3.png

Reactions: niwotsblessing

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

If this were the POs then I would want Rosco to make that hit and I’d be annoyed if it was called then. Regular season? I guess okay but that’s the sort of gritty play you want to see from your 3rd liner especially in the POs. The cross check was just a lack of discipline.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
LOC can't. It's why he goes months at a time doing nothing offensively.

The body is not built to play 15-16 minutes at his pace, energy, and physicality. 10-12? Sure. Those extra 6-8 shifts kill him, and he becomes less effective.

It's why Drouin/Tatar not panning out really hurts this team.
Not that I disagree with you on that. I am just hoping that he worked on his stamina during the summer to be able to sustain that effort throughout the season. I doubt it but one can hope because right now that 3rd line is money.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Talk about that inconsistency and bias... just more on your side. The Okposo play was dangerous and dumb, but it wasn't especially a violent play. It was a slight shove that just was in a bad/vulnerable area and ended badly. Players absolutely should know better, but there wasn't ill intent there. That was a 2 minute penalty sort of play that can have serious injury consequences.

The hit by Colton was far more violent (and dangerous)... and especially so was the cross check. Colton should get a lot more punishment than Okposo did because his actions were worse. Colton's punishment is in the realm of fair.
If Meier doesn't aggressively charge with arms and stick up at Colton like a tough guy and then pull the psych not tough guy act at the last second, Colton doesn't put his up then it's a nothing burger.

If guy was charging at me aggressively I sure as hell would be ready to protect myself because I have no idea what that are thinking.

Colton got exactly what he deserved a fine because it was a very light love tap, on a player who aggressively charged at him, not a great play that he could have handled better but still very minute in the grand scheme of things. What if Colton doesn't protect himself and Meier drills him in the face? Which watching the replay I understand why Colton might have thought it was coming by the way Meier went after him.

Okposo on the other hand saw Makar's numbers for 10 seconds and waited until the last second and gave a cheap shove in a spot he knew might cause a problem. Should have been a suspension and game misconduct.

What Okposo did was far worse than Colton. Colton was handled properly and was assessed a fair punishment, Okposo was not handled properly and NHL missed on it completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad