GDT: Avalanche vs Devils | 8 PM MT | On a Roll

Let him that hath understanding of intangibles count the score for tonight.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Wow, that's a lot of pushback for an actual cross check to the face... a direct hit, with a weapon, in the face... the rule book doesn't distinguish if the dude had a good reason to do it.... that shit needs to be eliminated from the game. Dentists make way too much money with hockey players, it contributes to the inflationary economic climate and is affecting all of us. That stuff needs to stop, I've got roof repair coming-up to finance!!

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
You know, you can "Zapruder" every questionable hit frame by frame and articulate an argument as to why the perp should either a) serve a 2 minute minor and move on; or b) get banned from the league for eternity . . . or play for San Jose for a year.

The NHL refs have a damn near impossible job. This isn't baseball - NHL players are insanely fast and coordinated and its damn near impossible to get everything right all the time at game speed.

I just want consistency. Want to throw Colton to the wolves? OK. Then do the same with the guys from Buffalo and Pittsburgh who almost wrecked Cale Makar's career . . . and got nothing.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
That crosscheck to Meier was a nothing burger and rightfully not worthy of suspension.

Also, weak ass Hughes should learn to brace himself for contact in a shoulder-to-shoulder battle with a guy hounding him since the red line. WTF was he expecting?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Back to taliking hockey...

I'm loving that 3rd line. I really hope LOC can keep the energy up to stay on that line.

Nuke had a really good bounced back game. I was really snake-bit last night. he could have had a couple of goals.

Pavel had a bit of a rough 1st period but I thought he got better and better as the game went on. He was used a lot more by Bednar after Rosco got ejected and IMO he did very well. You can tell Bednar is already starting to trust him. The Avs had a 2-goal lead with 5 mins to go in the 3rd period and he didn't hesitate to send him out. The finish could be a problem though. It is a very small sample but from what he showed last night I think a Cogs-Pavel-Olofsson 4th line could work very well. Not a lot of production but they could draw penalties though. If he gets sent down I'm sure he will get more call-ups in the near future.

IMO we would be a better team with Tufte and Pavel in the lineup instead of Drouin and Tatar because they fit needs better however that would leave us quite thin for call-ups when injuries start happening.

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
Devils fan, coming in peace. Despite not the outcome I wanted, the game last night was a lot of fun. Hated that short handed goal, but the place exploded. Huge energy in the arena. Nice win Avs.
That was an exciting game, for sure. And for once, I thought the refs made the right calls for the most part. Avs had a few powerplays in the first, but those were clear penalties. And you don't see 7 min powerplays much, but I think that sequence warranted it.

Reactions: denverdevil

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Lol at Devils fans arguing that half their team is more physical than Mac. None of em have that dog in em. Mac is a beaut.

• Haha
Reactions: Metallo

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Back to taliking hockey...

I'm loving that 3rd line. I really hope LOC can keep the energy up to stay on that line.

Nuke had a really good bounced back game. I was really snake-bit last night. he could have had a couple of goals.

Pavel had a bit of a rough 1st period but I thought he got better and better as the game went on. He was used a lot more by Bednar after Rosco got ejected and IMO he did very well. You can tell Bednar is already starting to trust him. The Avs had a 2-goal lead with 5 mins to go in the 3rd period and he didn't hesitate to send him out. The finish could be a problem though. It is a very small sample but from what he showed last night I think a Cogs-Pavel-Olofsson 4th line could work very well. Not a lot of production but they could draw penalties though. If he gets sent down I'm sure he will get more call-ups in the near future.

IMO we would be a better team with Tufte and Pavel in the lineup instead of Drouin and Tatar because they fit needs better however that would leave us quite thin for call-ups when injuries start happening.
LOC can't. It's why he goes months at a time doing nothing offensively.

The body is not built to play 15-16 minutes at his pace, energy, and physicality. 10-12? Sure. Those extra 6-8 shifts kill him, and he becomes less effective.

It's why Drouin/Tatar not panning out really hurts this team.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
The Colton hit looked worse than it is because Hughes weighs about 150 pounds and is one of these children who don't expect a bodycheck in the corner. Not a penalty or punishable play.

Tatar is an empty jersey.

Wood is great fun.
yep beautiful hit , love seeing those Hughes' boys get lit up

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

The body is not built to play 15-16 minutes at his pace, energy, and physicality. 10-12? Sure. Those extra 6-8 shifts kill him, and he becomes less effective.

It's looking like Kovalenko will get a shot in the top 6 when he comes over.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Hughes was wobbling on his skates right before Colton hit him, and it was a shoulder to shoulder hit.

Not much good video of the cross-check. For all the body language by Meier I would have wanted to see blood + bone fragments. Additionally, Meier was going after Colton to retaliate for his fly-weight teammate getting tossed like a used Kleenex. I'd want to see better video, all I can say for now is that should have been 2 for cross-checking.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Just like Bednar I can live with the boarding penalty. IMO I think Rosco expected Hughes to turn facing him as the puck was going that way but at the last second he turned the other way. Hard to see on the crosscheck. there isn't a good clip of it. If Bednar is right about Meier coming at Rosco with a high stick then Rosco needs to defend himself. Hard to say but after Okposo not getting anything on the Makar hit I certainly hope Rosco doesn't get a suspension as well. He got penalized enough IMO.
Was a well timed hit not Cilton's fault Hughes is a flyweight.

Either way it was worth the penalty everytime. If you play the Hughes' boys hard they will disappear.

No not a question of doing it before the other guy does it to you. It is a question of defending yourself. If a guy comes at me and I think he is going to hit me in the face with his stick I react and defend myself before I get hurt especially if the other guy is bigger than me.
common sense

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Yup... he'll do great for a month or two like this and then be crap for 4. I wouldn't mind a bit of a rotation though. LOC most of the time with the occasional double shift of Rants, Lehky, or Nuke on that line. Especially Rants.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If that's a suspension that's insane and the league is a joke. No blood, no injury, the guy skated at him with his stick/arms up.
I would rather the league set a standard where you get punished in proportion to your actions rather than punished in proportion to the injury you caused.

Colton just two-handed crosschecked a dude in the face with some degree of force. There are other ways to defend yourself in that situation that don't involve that degree of violence towards an opponent's head.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I just want to know in what world we call this shoulder to shoulder. Come on guys.
:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: missionAvs

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yup... he'll do great for a month or two like this and then be crap for 4. I wouldn't mind a bit of a rotation though. LOC most of the time with the occasional double shift of Rants, Lehky, or Nuke on that line. Especially Rants.
Can you imagine the cross-checks per minute if we ran a line of Wood-Colton-Rantanen? Could have a cool line name though...Lumber Liquidators.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad