GDT: Avalanche vs Devils 5:30PM MNT 2/6/24 (Emergency GDT) God help us find a 2C

What's worse to be hunted by.

• zombie horde

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • werewolf

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Vampire

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You’re just complaining to complain now lmao.
So hypothetically if the Ducks called a month ago and said we'll give you Zegras for Byram straight up and CMac refused you'd be cool with that?

My point is completely valid, we have no idea on who or what CMac has rejected.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm not a professional, nor do I claim to be or get paid to be one. But don't act like CMac hasn't had time to figure out the 2C problem. It's been over 2 years with no resolution. That's completely unacceptable and my personal patience has evaporated. He needs to shit or get off the toilet. I want to win, clearly CMac doesn't give a f***.
If you think somebody would take a GM job and not give a f*** about winning the SC I don't know what to tell you.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So hypothetically if the Ducks called a month ago and said we'll give you Zegras for Byram straight up and CMac refused you'd be cool with that?

Sure. But you're creating scenarios to be upset over. You can't get upset at CMac over something we have zero evidence on happening.

What if Cmac called up the Ducks about Zegras and it would cost Byram, Lehky, and a 1st?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If you think somebody would take a GM job and not give a f*** about winning the SC I don't know what to tell you.
Sure has a funny way of showing he cares by avoiding the one thing that could 100% make the team better.

Tough to sell that you care when you aren't even taking swings. One half assed swing in 2 years on a guy Nashville was so desperate to get rid of they ate 4M, who has completely failed isn't exactly demonstrating a desire to win.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sure. But you're creating scenarios to be upset over. You can't get upset at CMac over something we have zero evidence on happening.

What if Cmac called up the Ducks about Zegras and it would cost Byram, Lehky, and a 1st?
Well most people here have been saying the same thing able CMac and last TDL. Nobody has any idea how hard he tried or what the prices were to the Avs and that never stopped anybody here saying he shat the bed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If you acknowledge we have no idea what CMac has done or tried to do, is it really fair to criticize him so heavily as if you do? Especially when the deadline is about a month away?

Also, just a friendly reminder that a couple weeks ago you sounded ready to dump Georgiev, and said we could get the same performance for 1/3 the price out of Annunen.

We saw the difference between them in the last two games right? It's not impossible for Justus to work his way to the NHL, but so far we haven't seen an NHL caliber goaltender.

Not trying to take a shot at you with this, but do you think that maybe you may let emotion heavily influence your analysis too much, rather than an evidenced based approach with logic and reason?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I mean I'm not not sitting up at night mad at hypotheticals.

Just saying we have no idea what players, deals etc have come CMac's way that he outright said no to. Hope he hasn't f***ed us.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sure has a funny way of showing he cares by avoiding the one thing that could 100% make the team better.

Tough to sell that you care when you aren't even taking swings. One half assed swing in 2 years on a guy Nashville was so desperate to get rid of they ate 4M, who has completely failed isn't exactly demonstrating a desire to win.
The Avs are so secretive that you or anybody else have any idea what swings he has taken. Heck even LeBrun admitted the Avs have been very secretive.

As for your second comment....Duchene will be more costly to the than Ryjo and look at how he is doing for Dallas. Ryjo could have panned out better but it didn't. Oh well. They tried. No GM is right all the time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If you acknowledge we have no idea what CMac has done or tried to do, is it really fair to criticize him so heavily as if you do? Especially when the deadline is about a month away?

Also, just a friendly reminder that a couple weeks ago you sounded ready to dump Georgiev, and said we could get the same performance for 1/3 the price out of Annunen.

We saw the difference between them in the last two games right? It's not impossible for Justus to work his way to the NHL, but so far we haven't seen an NHL caliber goaltender.

Not trying to take a shot at you with this, but do you think that maybe you might have an issue with emotion heavily influencing your analysis, rather than an evidenced based approach with logic and reason?
In fairness 3 weeks ago most people would have gladly shot George to the moon. And personally I'd still do it, a few better games hasn't swayed my opinion. Now my comments regarding Annunen were probably emotion based as I was pissed at George.

Emotionally speaking yes I'm pissed, but it's a fair emotion, we've all been beyond patient with CMac and his do nothing approach, it's not working and the clock is ticking once again.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
In fairness 3 weeks ago most people would have gladly shot George to the moon. And personally I'd still do it, a few better games hasn't swayed my opinion. Now my comments regarding Annunen were probably emotion based as I was pissed at George.

Emotionally speaking yes I'm pissed, but it's a fair emotion, we've all been beyond patient with CMac and his do nothing approach, it's not working and the clock is ticking once again.
And here we are 3rd overall in the league and still 4 weeks away from the TDL...........

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean I'm not not sitting up at night mad at hypotheticals.

Just saying we have no idea what players, deals etc have come CMac's way that he outright said no to. Hope he hasn't f***ed us.
Correct... I'm as pro 2C as needed as anyone here, but you can't get up in arms about deals that you have literally no clue have been offered or not.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I mean my job performance is based on what I actually accomplish and not what I try to do. I mean just look at RyJo. Even if he gives it all it's not enough. He doesn't get brownie points because everyone else on the ice is better than him.

Reactions: rmthomson21

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean my job performance is based on what I actually accomplish and not what I try to do. I mean just look at RyJo. Even if he gives it all it's not enough. He doesn't get brownie points because everyone else on the ice is better than him.

I think my point was that you need to have more than zero information as to what they've tried to accomplish, and wait until after the deadline has passed to see what they actually did, before judging them harshly.

The same would be true for your job performance.

If your boss fired you for not doing your job properly, when they had no idea what you did or didn't do, and before they saw your results, and before the deadline they gave you, that wouldn't be fair right?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think my point was that you need to have more than zero information as to what they've tried to accomplish, and wait until after the deadline has passed to see what they actually did, before judging them harshly.

If your boss fired you for not doing your job properly, when they had no idea what you did or didn't do, and before they saw your results, and before the deadline they gave you, that wouldn't be fair right?
Exactly. Or should a student that crams all his/hers studying on the last night before an exam be given an F because it seems like no work was done prior? Or are you gonna wait until they actually write the exam first before given a grade?

Reactions: Foppa2118

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A bit testy here :laugh:

CMac has had plenty of opportunities to address the 2C situation for good. They’ve just chosen not to do so. If a gm is motivated, you can make deals. Allvin is proof of that on both sides of the coin.

Still… grab a beer, find a nice sunset, eat a butthole and relax.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

Yeah I'm holding off about judging him until the deadline as well but I understand the frustration. And at this point it's more of a meme than anything else

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
A bit testy here :laugh:

CMac has had plenty of opportunities to address the 2C situation for good. They’ve just chosen not to do so. If a gm is motivated, you can make deals. Allvin is proof of that on both sides of the coin.

Still… grab a beer, find a nice sunset, eat a butthole and relax.

You described what my life is at the moment. :thumbu:

Reactions: henchman21

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Well most people here have been saying the same thing able CMac and last TDL. Nobody has any idea how hard he tried or what the prices were to the Avs and that never stopped anybody here saying he shat the bed.

Prices are one thing....True. Maybe he tried, maybe not hard enough, maybe the prices were crazy....

BUT!
CMac allready knew Landy will not be back and out indef... Still he went out, wasted a 2nd for a retention in Lars Eller without any need.

OR:
We tried Newhook as 2C and failed. We allready knew that by the end of november that it wont work. And then we waited until the last moment to "fix" it and failed again because the prices went high (like every f***ing year at this time).

His last and first TDL was kind of a disaster. Simple as that.
Even the players have expressed this.

This summer we got Ryjo for "free" and retention. Nashville really wanted to get rid of the player. We thought maybe another cheap solution on our 2C can arise... And guess what, it backfired again....

And now we are in desperate need of a 2C again and the market will get crazy...again.....

Whats done is done, but this years TDL will be his "do or die"... With Mac having a "Hart-Trophy-Season" he cant sit on his ass....If we still have a 1st after this TDL.... Sorry, but no...

BUT, I'm confident in advance....:)

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Prices are one thing....True. Maybe he tried, maybe not hard enough, maybe the prices were crazy....

BUT!
CMac allready knew Landy will not be back and out indef... Still he went out, wasted a 2nd for a retention in Lars Eller without any need.

OR:
We tried Newhook as 2C and failed. We allready knew that by the end of november that it wont work. And then we waited until the last moment to "fix" it and failed again because the prices went high (like every f***ing year at this time).

His last and first TDL was kind of a disaster. Simple as that.
Even the players have expressed this.

This summer we got Ryjo for "free" and retention. Nashville really wanted to get rid of the player. We thought maybe another cheap solution on our 2C can arise... And guess what, it backfired again....

And now we are in desperate need of a 2C again and the market will get crazy...again.....

Whats done is done, but this years TDL will be his "do or die"... With Mac having a "Hart-Trophy-Season" he cant sit on his ass....If we still have a 1st after this TDL.... Sorry, but no...

BUT, I'm confident in advance....:)
IMO they collectively decided last season was most likely not their year to go for it.

1. I don't think they knew anything about how the Landy situation would turn out. Landy was trying to come back AFTER the TDL and BEFORE the playoffs so they couldn't use his cap space at the TDL.

2. We all thought Makar was playing less than 100%. That was confirmed this summer by Bednar. Obviously they knew he was playing hurt.

3. Nuke played hurt all season and that was obvious looking at how he was playing. His forechecking and especially his speed were reduced marginally.. He was in and out of the lineup. In hindsight they should have done the surgery early last season so he could be 100% for the playoffs. Obviously they all thought he could play through it. IMO this team can sustain losing Landy if Nuke is 100% but they can't if Nuke is out as well or playing hurt.

IMO they look at all of this and thought he could be a lot more damaging to the team spending major assets on a season that could already be doom anyway. So what did they do. They did the next best thing. Get somebody (Eller) that can help in case Landy comes back, and Makar and Nuke get better by the playoffs. It could easily be argued that with both Landy and Nuke in the lineup they could have beat anybody maybe except Vegas.

As for this year we have already beat the Ryjo acquisition to death. Most of us agree that it wasn't great but it was a good gamble considaring their cap situation. It flopped. They know that already just looking at how Bednar is deploying Ryjo. They made quite a few good moves besides that one though. The Colton line could be arguably the best 3rd line in the NHL. Drouin is turning out to be a home run.

Yes they need to fix the 2C situation. I wouldn't be happy at all if they go into the playoffs with Ryjo. He is hurting the team a lot more than he is helping. With that said I am not going to start bashing them when there are still 4 weeks to go to the TDL. I'll see what we have after the TDL and then I'll see how I feel about the team.

That the team had numerous occasions to fix the 2C but they choose not to is an easy narratives. Who are those 2C we could have got until now? I want names and what the cost would have most likely be. I think it was very slim. The only one I see is re-signing Kadri instead of Manson.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
IMO they collectively decided last season was most likely not their year to go for it.

1. I don't think they knew anything about how the Landy situation would turn out. Landy was trying to come back AFTER the TDL and BEFORE the playoffs so they couldn't use his cap space at the TDL.
The players knew because Landy himself told them. Go back and listen what Mac said.

If they decided to wave the white flag, so be it. But wasting a 2nd rounder for nothing was dumb. Simple as that.

I am sure lessons learned for this year. 🙂 Or we better hope so.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The players knew because Landy himself told them. Go back and listen what Mac said.

If they decided to wave the white flag, so be it. But wasting a 2nd rounder for nothing was dumb. Simple as that.

I am sure lessons learned for this year. 🙂 Or we better hope so.
I don't believe Mack knew at the TDL. Do you have a link? Why was Landy still trying to come back in March then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad