GDT: Avalanche vs Bruins 1/18/24 @ 5:00PM MNT Moose vs Bear who will win?

Who wins in a fight Bear, Moose or Gorilla?

• Total voters

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Well, not surprising. We looked lazier than the Baaaahston announcer. More upset abot Kooch going off again.
Our next is 8pm Finnish time on a Sat night against phukken Philly. We better tear them a new a-hole.

"Geeeeorrrgeeeeyev."

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Well, not surprising. We looked lazier than the Baaaahston announcer. More upset abot Kooch going off again.
Our next is 8pm Finnish time on a Sat night against phukken Philly. We better tear them a new a-hole.

"Geeeeorrrgeeeeyev."
The announcer sounded like he had an iron rod in his brain the whole time.

8 PM against Philly on national TV. We're going to get stomped in embarrassing fashion.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I mean watch any team with a half decent goalie. They'll have multiple breakdowns each game. Guess what a half decent goalie does... makes a save. Now I'm not expecting George to make a save on every single breakdown that happens, thats unrealistic. But the whole point of a goalie is to help out every once in awhile when the defense breaks down. Or in Georges case when any puck comes in a 10ft radius of him.
Exactly this. People in here act like we should never have a breakdown defensively. Every team has breakdowns defensively. Other teams offensive players get paid too and they make plays as well.

The only difference is when other teams have a breakdown their goalie tends to make a save. Whereas George often times doesn't. Like you said not expecting every single time there breakdown but some would be nice.

The reality is George sucks this year, his apologists can say whatever they want, but his play isn't anywhere close to even that of a mid level backup. Honestly I'm fairly convinced that we'd get about the same results running Annunen every night at 1/3 the cost.

In general George is fine with the high danger stuff. He’s not elite or anything, but average to good. The medium danger stuff is the killer. He gave up 2 on 9 shots tonight. 32 of 227 on the season. Thats the unacceptable part.

He’s played well for a few games, so if this is the stinker and he comes back with 3 good games… that actually doesn’t bother me. He does this against Philly or Washington… that’ll be a continuance of this problem.
Wow that's actually f***ing pathetic on medium danger. Had no idea it was that pathetic. No wonder his play and stats are awful.

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
Just came to see how much s*** Georgie is getting. And yeah, I am biased because I live in Kärppä world and would love to see Annunen play in the nhl. To be honest in this game it probably would have not mattered who was goaltending because defence just sucked. Still, just let the fat kid play and get some experience, it will be a good thing in the long run.. There's not a lot to lose, except he's confidence because playing with this D can make any goalie suicidal. Anyway, if Annunen is even decent he can maybe be a backup or he's trade value goes up, if he sucks you can in all likelyhood just blame the defence. :D

And wtf is wrong with Rants? Every Avs game I watch he just sucks. Sure he scored 2 against Sens but even in that game he made a LOT of horrible plays.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Man, remember that press conference when Bednar said something to the effect that at the end of the day you'd like to get a save from your goalie? Wonder how that's working out for him.

As for Rants, man I wish there was a way he could give his shot to Wood. Or Wood could put his motor and skating into Rants. Mikko's shot is good enough he's always going to be putting up monster points. But everything else about his game is just so... underwhelming.

Whoops.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just came to see how much s*** Georgie is getting. And yeah, I am biased because I live in Kärppä world and would love to see Annunen play in the nhl. To be honest in this game it probably would have not mattered who was goaltending because defence just sucked. Still, just let the fat kid play and get some experience, it will be a good thing in the long run.. There's not a lot to lose, except he's confidence because playing with this D can make any goalie suicidal. Anyway, if Annunen is even decent he can maybe be a backup or he's trade value goes up, if he sucks you can in all likelyhood just blame the defence. :D

And wtf is wrong with Rants? Every Avs game I watch he just sucks. Sure he scored 2 against Sens but even in that game he made a LOT of horrible plays.
Yeah, imagine having to play behind one of the best D Cores in the entire league, behind one of the best Dmen of all time....

Suicidal for sure!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeesh, that was a sloppy start. No legs whatsoever and looked mentally checked out.

Would like to see Georgiev steal a game once in a while, though he wasn't at fault in this one. He does make some big saves, including in this game, but he just has a problem shutting the door when the team needs it. D core really needs to stop hanging him out to dry though. The breakdowns in front of him in this one were terrible.

Thought Manson was having a great game, up until he took that high sticking penalty. That basically killed off the game. He needs to be more aware of his stick, he's taken a few of those this year.

Think I'm more upset about Cale coming one point shy of tying Bobby Orr in games to 300 than the loss. That would have been a really cool achievement. Oh well. That's why Bobby was Bobby.

Reactions: S E P H

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
Yeah, imagine having to play behind one of the best D Cores in the entire league, behind one of the best Dmen of all time....

Suicidal for sure!
No need to get salty. I did mean just these last few games,for example allowing 40 shots againts Sens is not playing good D. At the moment I wouldnt say that being a goalie in Avs is an easy job..

Reactions: Alienblood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Get Hastings off my tv. He sucks!

Edit: Watching the Bruins feed.
Tried to watch the game last night and was bored to tears. Shut it off after the 1st period.

I don't think I'll watch another game this season

I'm coming to this conclusion too and its scaring me
Yeah me too. I'm really not seeing it with him anymore. To be honest Toews is the better all around dman and carries Makar

I'd like to split that pair up but then you'd see even more deficiencies in Makar's game. He sucks in his own end

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeesh, that was a sloppy start. No legs whatsoever and looked mentally checked out.

Would like to see Georgiev steal a game once in a while, though he wasn't at fault in this one. He does make some big saves, including in this game, but he just has a problem shutting the door when the team needs it. D core really needs to stop hanging him out to dry though. The breakdowns in front of him in this one were terrible.

Thought Manson was having a great game, up until he took that high sticking penalty. That basically killed off the game. He needs to be more aware of his stick, he's taken a few of those this year.

Think I'm more upset about Cale coming one point shy of tying Bobby Orr in games to 300 than the loss. That would have been a really cool achievement. Oh well. That's why Bobby was Bobby.
This is the exact problem around here, you basically just gave George a pass even though he was mid to bad again. 2 goals on the first 5 shots, again, puts your team in a huge hole right from the get go. He needs to make at least 1 of those saves. Personally think he could of had both, but I could live with it, if it was just 1.

I can imagine that the players have a let down when they are down 2 within 5 shots. Basically every game.

Simply put we need better goalie play, don't really care who's in net but we can't survive giving up 4+ every single night. As a team they need to be better at allowing high danger chances and goalies need to be much better and actually make some saves. Every game it seems like our goalies are giving up more than expected per the advanced stats. That's a trend that can't continue. Need to be better.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The team that gives up the most high danger chances in the NHL isn’t getting good goaltending…shocker.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They’re literally 14th in the league in HDCA… We have the 9th worst HDSV% and the 7th worst low danger save %.
Don't let facts get in the way!

Funny enough... Winnipeg gives up roughly similar and has roughly similar xGA. Yet they give up ~.9 less goals per game. That's the difference between elite and below average to bad goaltending.

Worse than the high danger is the medium danger. Avs are 26th in MDSV%.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Don't let facts get in the way!

Funny enough... Winnipeg gives up roughly similar and has roughly similar xGA. Yet they give up ~.9 less goals per game. That's the difference between elite and below average to bad goaltending.

Worse than the high danger is the medium danger. Avs are 26th in MDSV%.
Like I said in my earlier post. I don’t expect George to make a save for every breakdown. But if he can’t make any saves when the D inevitably breaks down what’s the point of him?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Like I said in my earlier post. I don’t expect George to make a save for every breakdown. But if he can’t make any saves when the D inevitably breaks down what’s the point of him?
Yup... if George was having this cadence to his games:

Good Game
Good Game
Bad Game
Good Game
Average Game
Good Game
Bad Game
Great Game
Good Game
Good Game
Bad Game
etc
etc

There would be nearly zero complaints. There are always some, but overall we'd feel okay. Counting backwards I see his games as:

Bad Game
Bad Game
Good Game (I didn't watch the Toronto game, giving benefit of the doubt here)
Great Game
Average Game
(not a start)
Bad Game
Bad Game
Good Game
Great Game
Bad Game
Good Game
Good Game
Bad Game
Good Game
Bad Game
Bad Game

At no point is George giving 3 good games in a row. You might get 3 not bad... but you'll quickly also get 2 bad in a row or 3/4 out 5/6. If he just simply strings together 2-3 good games in a row with only one bad game in between. This chatter would slow way down.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They’re literally 14th in the league in HDCA… We have the 9th worst HDSV% and the 7th worst low danger save %.
Why are you bringing up San Jose?
I heard the broadcast crew in Toronto game saying Avs give up the most or 2nd most high danger chances, but even those stats aside, we watch the games we can see it. Avs play too carelessly in their zone, give up pucks in dangerous areas and pretty much telling the opposition here, have an easy goal, like Pasta’s goal in this one, or the 2nd goal where they just let the puck go across the crease for an easy goal, and that’s been happening a lot for the Avs

Again, can or should Georgiev maybe stop some of this goals and bailout the team? Yes he should, but maybe since Georgiev is struggling to do that, the team in front of him should start playing better in their own zone and help out Georgiev since he is struggling. I still haven’t seen this team play a full 60 minute solid defensive game. They are winning games by out scoring their problems and Mack being in god mode.

Reactions: Foppa2118

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I heard the broadcast crew in Toronto game saying Avs give up the most or 2nd most high danger chances, but even those stats aside, we watch the games we can see it. Avs play too carelessly in their zone, give up pucks in dangerous areas and pretty much telling the opposition here, have an easy goal, like Pasta’s goal in this one, or the 2nd goal where they just let the puck go across the crease for an easy goal, and that’s been happening a lot for the Avs

Again, can or should Georgiev maybe stop some of this goals and bailout the team? Yes he should, but maybe since Georgiev is struggling to do that, the team in front of him should start playing better in their own zone and help out Georgiev since he is struggling. I still haven’t seen this team play a full 60 minute solid defensive game. They are winning games by out scoring their problems and Mack being in god mode.
For comparison, everyone on this board here in agreement the the Devils/Senators need a new goalies. Their high danger save %‘s are 3% worse(Devils) and 1% better(Senators) than us. And their low danger save %’s are the same(Senators) and 1% worse(Devils).

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

I'm pretty sure that's false. I wouldn't be surprised the Georgiev faces the most high danger shots in the league considering he's played the most games. I very much doubt he faces the most high danger shots PER GAME though.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
.867 is simply not good enough.
All Georgiev supporters need to hear this.

Every team in the league is going to get outplayed at times, they're going to have off periods. This is the NHL, you cannot dominate for 60 minutes every single game, there's another NHL team out there you're playing against. High danger chances are going to happen and you're going to get caved in some times.

You NEED your goalie to make a save once in a while when you're having an off period while you find your legs. Everyime the Avs have a poor period they're down 2 or 3 goals before they even find their legs. You NEED your goalie to keep you in a game once in a while. Georgiev is NOT doing that right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00