GDT: Avalanche vs Blue Jackets @5:00PM MST 04/01/24 (Emergency GDT) I swear this isn't a joke thread. 😉

Do you like to laugh?

• Yes

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Who wants to know?

Votes: 13 46.4%

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
One comment from Bednar stood out to me when he was asked about chasing the central division win, he said they gonna go for it but he’s not gonna kill his players over it, which means it’s not really super important for the Avs to win the division

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
One comment from Bednar stood out to me when he was asked about chasing the central division win, he said they gonna go for it but he’s not gonna kill his players over it, which means it’s not really super important for the Avs to win the division
1000032026.jpg

1000032027.png

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think with the injury history the Avs had, they’re not gonna bust their asses in the remaining 7 games to go into playoffs as healthy as they can. Which means they might go something like 4-3 to close it out. Being healthy is more important than going all in, risking injuries to win the central

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
If I'm not mistaken, even during the cup run, we played to the level of the bottom teams in the regular season. It's an Avs tradition that needs to change. They need to play against skill to want to compete. Grinding teams and bottom feeders make the Avs suffer.

Reactions: katfude

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Poor execution was the key. They were inept in how they attacked and constantly fumbling the puck or waiting too long to get the pass or shot off.
Unfortunately this statement can be applied to this team far too frequently. Indecisive, fumbling pucks, overpassing.

This team struggles to do basics consistently. They always are looking for the pretty overly complicated play instead of just making smart decisions with the puck.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
After calming down, I’ve decided I’m not that upset about this game. The toughest part is that this loss essentially cost them the division.

At the end of the day though, they still played a solid game, while missing a ton of players.

It seems like they have an issue bringing their best against shitty teams which is the reason they won’t win the division. The positive is… there aren’t any shitty teams in the playoffs.

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Littleton, CO
You try bag skating NHL players with the record the Avalanche have - especially with Nathan MacKinnon on your roster - and see how that goes for you.

Bednar is a tremendous coach. How soon you forget the Avs went 1-6-0 to end the 2022 season then ran through the league to win the Stanley Cup.

The Avs are fine. Execution was off tonight. It happens.
It does work on teams with good records and super star players.

Marc Crawford had the team bus pull off the road in a bad part of Detroit and made the players carry their bags and equipment back to the hotel after an uninspired performance. Same thing as a bag skate though I would argue worse because of the safety aspect. That included making Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg carry their hockey bags through the hood and walk back to the hotel.

If a bag skate doesn't send a message and has the opposite effect of what was intended you have the wrong players on the roster.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Marc Crawford had the team bus pull off the road in a bad part of Detroit and made the players carry their bags and equipment back to the hotel after an uninspired performance. Same thing as a bag skate though I would argue worse because of the safety aspect. That included making Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg carry their hockey bags through the hood and walk back to the hotel.

If a bag skate doesn't send a message and has the opposite effect of what was intended you have the wrong players on the roster.
Crawford was also an average coach at best and found himself out of the league.

You don't need to bag skate a team like the Avs have where 95% of nights they bust their asses off. Every team and player has off games - it's only when it starts turning into bad habits you start getting concerned.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

You don't bag skate players to motivate them after a loss when you doubled the other team in shots and hit 2 posts.

You don't bag skate in general. I don't know why you're using an example from almost 30 years ago to justify bag skating. Coaching is different now, players are different now. It doesn't happen, it doesn't work. It is meaningless skating.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Crawford was also an average coach at best and found himself out of the league.

You don't need to bag skate a team like the Avs have where 95% of nights they bust their asses off. Every team and player has off games - it's only when it starts turning into bad habits you start getting concerned.
This team has a bad habit, it's called waiting until mid way through the 2nd before they decide to start playing. Starting games well has been a major problem since the Seattle series. This needs to change ASAP can't fall behind in the playoffs, tough to make comebacks.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
You don't bag skate players to motivate them after a loss when you doubled the other team in shots and hit 2 posts.

You don't bag skate in general. I don't know why you're using an example from almost 30 years ago to justify bag skating. Coaching is different now, players are different now. It doesn't happen, it doesn't work. It is meaningless skating.
It’s a weird holdover idea at this point. If winning and millions of dollars aren’t motivating enough for players the odds that punishment is going to work are pretty low. Not really confidence builder for anyone who is slumping and in his head too much because of that either

Reactions: dahrougem2

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Good news is effort was not the issue tonight. IMO goaltending was not the issue either although Juice could have been better.

Tonight showed what I have said quite a few times in the past. This team just cannot be missing both Landy and Nuke at the same time. You need at least one of them in the lineup. When they are both out most of the time we have nobody screening the goalie or in the dirty area. Last game Mikko was right in there quite a bit creating trouble for the goalie and we won. Tonight nobody did and their goalie kept seeing everything or we were missing the net.

I'm not concerned about our special teams. Before the game both the PP and the PK were 6th overall. They are doing great most of the time but again without somebody in front of the net taking away the goalie's eyes the PP will often struggle. hitting the net also helps a lot as you can get a lot of greasy goals that way but again if nobody screens the goalie he will make easy save after easy save.

Reactions: The Moops

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think I've somewhat deciphered some of Makar's puck struggles this season.

Last several seasons he has been using a Bauer Sync, at least based on the design of the stick since obviously these guys all customize their sticks.

Now it looks like he's using a Bauer Proto-R which is a very different stick, especially to hold since the Sync has the ER Spine making it contour in your palm and the Proto-R does not.

Feels like his puck struggles have been happening a ton more this season.
Good catch. It could definitely be an issue. Some of his problems could be because of his hip but I doubt that most of his fumbles this year are hip related. Changing stick certainly could.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned the same thing about Mikko. I was wondering at the time if he changed sticks this season because he has been fumbling the puck a lot more than previous years IMO.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
That third line features the team’s worst defensive forwards and they’re simply exacerbating one another’s weaknesses. They gotta figure something else out—this ain’t working. The only time it did was the Penguins game and even then they still weren’t great.
LoC did so much more heavy lifting on that line than anyone realized. He basically covered all the defense, which let Colton and Wood run wild.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad