GDT: Avalanche @ Red Wings | 5:30 PM MT | February 12, 2016

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holy crow, somebody better be buying Varly some beers after that one. My goodness, I'm exhausted just watching him.

Mitchell was so awful tonight. He just looks like he doesn't care. Duchene working his tail off to keep the puck alive the first shift of OT, just to have Mitchell make two insanely lazy efforts and lose the puck was the topper. Might be time to scratch him just to send a message to the team. Tangs too if you can swing it.

Mack sure did put his balls on the table with that move. Not sure if Frei got around to asking him, but judging from Roy's demeanor when asked, I think he gave Nate a tip on where to shoot on Mrazek. Hell of a move though, had me fooled.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Caught the last 8 minutes at a friends and came to read the thread to see if they were playing as bad as the stats made it seem.

Mostly true i guess.

Ugly or not, two points is two points. God I hope this team gets its legs back under them without a big stretch of ugly.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
MacKinnon puts his what on the table?

Edit: Roy also said in his presser that the Mitchell line looked weak. So there's that.

Where are you hearing this? I've listened to it twice and didn't hear **** about Mitchell.

Edit : Just watched the video, the Altitude link on soundcloud cut out before he got to it at the end.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Where are you hearing this? I've listened to it twice and didn't hear **** about Mitchell.

Right after he said they got dominated, he said he thought Mitchell's line struggled.

Wish he would have said Mitchell struggled, because I think Duchene was working hard most the game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Right after he said they got dominated, he said he thought Mitchell's line struggled.

Wish he would have said Mitchell struggled, because I think Duchene was working hard most the game.

I don't understand why Duchene is not back at center personally. What the **** is up with that?

Personally I'd have Greg at center over Mitchell as well, but definitely Duchene over Mitchell easily.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't understand why Duchene is not back at center personally. What the **** is up with that?

Personally I'd have Greg at center over Mitchell as well, but definitely Duchene over Mitchell easily.

It's kind of a "if it's not broke" type of situation. He hasn't really hit a big enough lull yet, though it was close recently.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's kind of a "if it's not broke" type of situation. He hasn't really hit a big enough lull yet, though it was close recently.

You talking about Duchene hitting a lull? Who cares? I'd actually prefer to move him back to center while hes on fire. Hes not a winger for this team long term IMO. Mitchell is not a top 9 center let alone a top 9 player. I was fine with it when he was on MacK's line in order to stack the top 6, if Roy is not going to do that anymore he does not need to be a winger with dumb **** play killer Mitchell handling the puck far more than he should.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You talking about Duchene hitting a lull? Who cares? I'd actually prefer to move him back to center while hes on fire. Hes not a winger for this team long term IMO. Mitchell is not a top 9 center let alone a top 9 player. I was fine with it when he was on MacK's line in order to stack the top 6, if Roy is not going to do that anymore he does not need to be a winger with dumb **** play killer Mitchell handling the puck far more than he should.

I don't know if I want him to be a winger full time, but I do think the way he approaches the game on the wing helps him be successful a lot more. He isn't able to over handle the puck and get himself in trouble. He kind of comes into the play from behind and gets the puck while the D is flat footed, or gets the puck with room in flight on the wing, or is able to work quick give and go's.

He's really learned to play wing like Forsberg to as he grabs the puck and skates up the wing with it, but then cuts to the middle like a running back and finds the holes to gain the blueline and make plays. He's become exceptional at it actually.

Whenever he does go back to center, I'd like them to get him to play that quick give and go game and let someone else do a lot of the puck work. They need the right kind of winger for him to do that though, otherwise he feels he has to do it all himself if he doesn't respect their puck skills. He respects Nate's puck skills so he looks to move him the puck a lot.

I would keep him at wing the rest of the year as long as it's working out, and then move him back to center to start next year once they bring in more talent on the wings. If they manage to end up with Rads in the offseason, he would be the perfect fit IMO to play that give and go game with.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well, a win is a win no matter way you put it. At least we know the Avs can win these ugly games, but it gets to a point after so many years where you wonder if this team will ever take the next step. Our core pieces are pretty much all close enough to their prime where we should see this team come together, but it isn't.

However, we're lucky that we have our 3 best prospects basically NHL ready that should elevate us to the next level. If that doesn't happen within the next 2-3 years, some major changes will happen.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I hated mitchell enough on the 4th line of late can you imagine how unbearable it is to see him half assing it on the top line? Im glad Roy noticed but i really wish he didnt say Mitchell's line because i thought Dutch had an ok game same with Grigs it was that cement head Mitchell that was holding that line back.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It blows my mind how incredibly bad we can play and still get 2 points. So far on this trip we're 4 for 4 in points, when we deserved 0 of 4.

Love how Roy calls out the Mitchell line when they were responsible for both goals we scored in regulation, I know Comeau scored the 2nd one but it was the work of Grigorenko, Mitchell and Barrie that led to the goal. But I see his point as they looked horrendous on the defensive side of things. But still funny because they accounted for both of our goals, so without them we lose.

The worst part is we'll probably get crushed in Buffalo by the worst of the 3 teams and we'll still of had a decent road trip winning 2 of 3.

I just can't figure how this team is so bad at pretty much every basic in hockey, but still manages to pick up points. Honestly the way we've played the past 7 games or so, I'd call us the worst team in the league. Constantly outshot and outworked. Can't make simple passes. Can't play defense. Constantly pinned in our own end. But yet we are still in the playoff hunt, and picking up points.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It blows my mind how incredibly bad we can play and still get 2 points. So far on this trip we're 4 for 4 in points, when we deserved 0 of 4.

Love how Roy calls out the Mitchell line when they were responsible for both goals we scored in regulation, I know Comeau scored the 2nd one but it was the work of Grigorenko, Mitchell and Barrie that led to the goal. But I see his point as they looked horrendous on the defensive side of things. But still funny because they accounted for both of our goals, so without them we lose.

The worst part is we'll probably get crushed in Buffalo by the worst of the 3 teams and we'll still of had a decent road trip winning 2 of 3.

I just can't figure how this team is so bad at pretty much every basic in hockey, but still manages to pick up points. Honestly the way we've played the past 7 games or so, I'd call us the worst team in the league. Constantly outshot and outworked. Can't make simple passes. Can't play defense. Constantly pinned in our own end. But yet we are still in the playoff hunt, and picking up points.

We got two points because of that meh,decent goalie we have Varlamov. Not Vezina calibre or anything. That main forum thread is something else.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I had to look up the shootout stats after this. Comeau had only taken 4 SO attempts before this one and was 1/4, definitely a but wtf to have him out there. Thought it might be Greg, says he has 0 career SO attempts. I thought he took one with Buffalo, there's video of if that people used to show how skilled he is.

I don't think it's flat out luck when it keeps happening for 3 years now. Imagine when we can pull wins out like that when we are good!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I had to look up the shootout stats after this. Comeau had only taken 4 SO attempts before this one and was 1/4, definitely a but wtf to have him out there. Thought it might be Greg, says he has 0 career SO attempts. I thought he took one with Buffalo, there's video of if that people used to show how skilled he is.

I don't think it's flat out luck when it keeps happening for 3 years now. Imagine when we can pull wins out like that when we are good!

I think that shootout goal agains the leafs was in pre season. I was a little shocked not to see Grig or even Soda but I think Roy said something about right handed shot somethin something.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That's the thing about it for me.

It's not like we've been getting "lucky" with wins like this just in the last couple of months or anything. It's been 3 years now where we've regularly pulled out victories where we've been badly outshot, and seemingly out played. And I'm sure some of the typical HF Morons will say "But you missed playoffs last year, how is that a success or a good year, you regressed, blah blah blah". We still the year with 90 points, and until game 78(I think?) were in the playoff hunt. Sure we regressed but its not like we became the worst team in the league.

At what point are people going to finally acknowledge that advanced stats really aren't the be all end all like so many people(And sadly the Media as well) seem to think they are. All they are is an additional tool that can be used to evaluate players under certain circumstances.

They simply dont work when it comes to evaluating an entire team. As evidenced by the fact that almost every year at least 1(Usually 2-3 even) terrible possession team is a playoff team.

What's even more annoying is that the same idiots that refer to the Avs as a terrible, luck driven team with awful possession numbers, are the same idiots that refuse to give Varlamov or Roy even an ounce of credit. They still think Varlamov is a meh goalie, or that Roy just isn't a good coach.

You cant have both of those things. It's one or the other. Either Varly/Roy are elite and giving this team wins that they have no business earning. Or advanced stats dont mean anything.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
We got two points because of that meh,decent goalie we have Varlamov. Not Vezina calibre or anything. That main forum thread is something else.

So true. I hate to say this, but I almost want to put Berra or like Roman Will in for one game against a good team like a Chicago, just to show Roy and Sakic how truly awful we are. And how lucky they are to have Varly and Pickard saving our incompetent everything else every time we win.

That main board thread is something else. But I do have to agree with some of the posters that doing what we are doing right now (getting outshot and out chanced by nearly double every single night) is not going to continue to work. Varly and Pickard will both have games where they might not be in stealing mode and we'll get beat throughly probably through no fault of the goalie.

The fact is we're just kinda hanging on right now, and the bottom is tenuously hanging in the balance. If they continue this garbage play that they have shown of late, that bottom is going to crash out and things could get pretty ugly fast.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I agree to certain extent. But the way we are playing right now, doesn't reflect the way we've played the past 2.5 years. We would have bad games here and there where we got outshot and out chanced drastically, and then others where it wasn't so drastic. But it all added up to a poor CORSI.

Now we are just in flat out suck mode, where we don't even look like we can compete with other NHL teams. And the CORSI is flying out of control.

There is a difference between being out shot 34-26 (which is kinda what we've been doing the past couple years, and being out shot 45-21 (which is what we've been doing the past month or so). Neither is ideal but one is kinda salvageable, the other is just not and shows me how much luck has been involved for us lately. I'd love to see the stats on winning percentage in the NHL when you get outshot by 20+, I'd make a guess that it's pretty damn low, and be even lower if you didn't include the Avs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Comeau has been terrible lately and it was a bit of a gamble because of that, but he's also shown a few times this season to be money with his accuracy and timing his shot on breakaways this year.

Kinda like Nate, it seems even if he isn't playing particularly well he still has confidence in that situation to bury his shots. Duchene has been that way in the past too when he was struggling during games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think that shootout goal agains the leafs was in pre season. I was a little shocked not to see Grig or even Soda but I think Roy said something about right handed shot somethin something.

That makes sense, thought I was going crazy.

We hadn't gone 4 deep in the SO this year yet so was trying to think who was next but the goal and everything makes sense and hey it worked.

Oh I know they've got to tighten up a lot more. Are they even doing the 1-3-1 anymore, it doesn't seem like it. It is just funny they seemed to be playing their best with Zadorov here. I know SSS and all but it is frustrating they couldn't at least ride it out how it was.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's not like we've been getting "lucky" with wins like this just in the last couple of months or anything. It's been 3 years now where we've regularly pulled out victories where we've been badly outshot, and seemingly out played. And I'm sure some of the typical HF Morons will say "But you missed playoffs last year, how is that a success or a good year, you regressed, blah blah blah". We still the year with 90 points, and until game 78(I think?) were in the playoff hunt. Sure we regressed but its not like we became the worst team in the league.

I'd not mind getting outshot if we had some consistency and it was part of a real, sustainable strategy. It's not the case though and it's easy to prove: look at our record against "bad" teams. For us, every game is a coin flip regardless of the opposition which means that we do rely heavily on luck.

Also, no coach with half a brain would have a "we're going to get outworked" strategy. When we see the players sucking on the ice it's certainly not "part of the plan".

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I find it kind of funny that people don't think Sakic and Roy realize how bad they're playing. Like they're new to hockey, and all of us watching at home have a better understanding.

I get questioning their decisions, and we have a right to do that, but I doubt they have drawn up a plan to win like this, or are blinded by Varlamov.

DUHockey

Dec 15, 2015
I find it kind of funny that people don't think Sakic and Roy realize how bad they're playing. Like they're new to hockey, and all of us watching at home have a better understanding.

I get questioning their decisions, and we have a right to do that, but I doubt they have drawn up a plan to win like this, or are blinded by Varlamov.

Totally agree with this, they both know how bad it is. That being said why does Roy not make the changes necessary. Mitchell, even statistically was the worst player last night, yet his ice increased in the 3rd. Then Post Game Roy says his line was not good. I wish a reporter had the guts to follow up with, "Then why is he playing so much and in OT?"

http://war-on-ice.com/game4.html?seasongcode=2015201620821

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad