Avalanche Player Rankings #3

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Ok, so this is the next one of a poll where we're determining whom the best players are on the Avalanche... I'm running them ~3 days or however long it takes to get a clear winner.

Not who has the most potential, not who is the most valuable or is the most irreplaceable... "Who is the 2nd best Avalanche player on the team?"

Yes, who is the 2nd best player right now. Not who you think will make the most progress next year. If Game 1 of the regular season started tomorrow, MacKinnon would not be amongst our top 4 players AT LEAST. But that's my opinion, to each their own.

This is not a poll where potential is taken into account. So voting MacKinnon means you think he is actually the 2nd best player on this team ignoring any improvement he will make over the summer which we cannot account for since it would simply be guessing and defeat the purpose of this poll.

1. Matt Duchene (67%)
2. Semyon Varlamov (73%)

Remember to mention who you want added next.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I voted for the 1st Paul Stastny (there are two on the list).

Can see arguments for both Johnson and MacKinnon here.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If Johnson doesn't win this, I have lost in faith of all Avs fans.

He was my 2nd choice here. I took Stastny, just for his ability to excel both offensively and defensively.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO it is very close between EJ and Landy. Landy does everything thing so well and is a born leader. EJ is finally becoming a #1D... I voted EJ because a #1D is more important.

Could see an argument for MacKinnon as well, but that would be going on potential and not the player they are today.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not voting yet, will take some time to ponder and listen to arguments. It's likely between Landy and MacKinnon for me. Yes, I understand all the warnings about MacKinnon but I believe he is one of our best players right now. I have a problem voting Stastny at all, he's technically not one of our players right now.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm not voting yet, will take some time to ponder and listen to arguments. It's likely between Landy and MacKinnon for me. Yes, I understand all the warnings about MacKinnon but I believe he is one of our best players right now. I have a problem voting Stastny at all, he's technically not one of our players right now.

It can't hurt, everyone just gets bumped up the list. And if we acquire anyone, it wouldn't be fair to rank them since we haven't seen them in an Avalanche uniform.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
EJ but ROR, Stastny, and Landy are right behind. Im not actually sure how I would rank those last three.

Possibilities for next round

ROR, Staz, Landy, Mack, Barrie, Hejda (depending on who wins this round of course)

Last edited:

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
The mistake is probably not a substantial one since EJ will likely win it fairly easily, but you have Stastny on there twice and no O'Reilly.

I agree with RS that Barrie should be there before Hejda, but again not a big deal since by the time he could win it, Barrie will be there.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
1- Varly
2- RoR

#3- going with Duchene. Top offensive threat. There is a reason these ppg players are so highly sought after and paid very very well.

McGinn should be the next player added IMO.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Voted EJ this time.

He was our third best player this year. No doubt. Every time he struggled the team did too.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Hey... only wanted 6 options. :p:

Im thinking you should maybe keep the previous winners on there. Seems like there is some different approaches to take in who to vote for next- RoR and MacK had more 2nd place votes than EJ, Staz and Lando, but now those 3 have more 3rd place votes. How does MacK go from being the guy who clearly has the 2nd most 2nd place votes to a guy who is behind all these other players for 3rd? Seems like some people are going with their actual 3rd choice here where as some are saying "well, i had RoR/Mack #2, but he is still here at #3 so i will pick him again". If the polls keep progressing like this then guys like RoR and MacK are going to be completely skipped over and the final tally wont have a guy like MacK on it because so many voted him #2 then skipped over him for the lower spots in favor of the player they actually have 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.

Sorry, If I am not making sense. I hope you get what i am saying.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Sorry, If I am not making sense. I hope you get what i am saying.

Previous winners as in Duchene and Varlamov? That would defeat the purpose...

As for the MacK/ROR voting thing. That's simple, a smaller group of people feel one or the other is clearly better than the bulk of fans do, while the bulk continue on what I would consider the "true path" in terms of rankings.

In reality, it's this 3rd/4th best player that will start making things interesting.

I personally see it as Landeskog or Erik Johnson, but a good argument can be made for Stastny and ROR too. MacKinnon less-so in my opinion because outside of his offense his game was very raw and there's only so much a high end offense can make up for defensively compared to guys like ROR, Staz and Landy whom are all excellent 2-way players but also produced similarly to MacK either in regular season or the postseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad