Avalanche Player Rankings #11

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
If this isn't a review of the season then what is the point in basing votes on how they performed last season if they stepped on the ice right now?

I understood this as if the season would've started when the poll was made (during the rest of the playoffs), who would have been the best player on our roster back then.
So Downie doesn't count cause he was traded for Talbot.
Benoit and Staz count cause they were technically still on our roster.

But as I said before, I think 11 is a fine number to end this with. I don't see the point in deciding if Wilson or Guenin is the better player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If this isn't a review of the season then what is the point in basing votes on how they performed last season if they stepped on the ice right now?

That's my interpretation of it, everyone can have differing opinions but OP was clear it wasn't a season review, more of a "who is the best player". So obviously that takes into account past performance but also future expectations, just being careful not to get into the realm of potential.

I say don't give up now, just find a good stopping point. We can get through a few more polls quickly. We don't need to give them all 3-7 days or hope for 90 votes. Just pick an ending and get us there. We are far from having the Guenin vs Wilson debate, we'll never get that far. How the third liners shake out could be at least somewhat interesting, no?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

That's my interpretation of it, everyone can have differing opinions but OP was clear it wasn't a season review, more of a "who is the best player". So obviously that takes into account past performance but also future expectations, just being careful not to get into the realm of potential.

I say don't give up now, just find a good stopping point. We can get through a few more polls quickly. We don't need to give them all 3-7 days or hope for 90 votes. Just pick an ending and get us there. We are far from having the Guenin vs Wilson debate, we'll never get that far. How the third liners shake out could be at least somewhat interesting, no?

Tiger hit the nail on the head.

My idea was to rank our players based heavily on the season's performance, but also on holistic ability. It's not easy to explain because there's a ton of ways people can judge value, so I tried to narrow the focus down early.

My hope was to put a list together of our top 15-20 players (seeing as our prospect polls usually ran that long) and then compare them next offseason. Basically, imagine if we rank Iginla as our 5th best player next offseason, how does that compare to the strength of the roster ending this year? Did it get worse, better, did someone really shoot up the rankings surprisingly? Did MacKinnon have a Stamkos-like breakout and go from #6 to #1? That's why I wanted potential to be held out of this, so it was an 'in the moment' assessment of our team.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Just want the bump this thread after the TSN top 50 ranking. They have Mack rightfully at 34 and we had him 7th on the team. I personally had him second and most people here strongly disagreed. Well at least the "experts" are on the same page with me.

member 116861

Just want the bump this thread after the TSN top 50 ranking. They have Mack rightfully at 34 and we had him 7th on the team. I personally had him second and most people here strongly disagreed. Well at least the "experts" are on the same page with me.

I have him at 6th. Moved up one spot with the departure of Pauly.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Day one of the season MacKinnon isn't our 2nd best player. The experts are wrong if they think that, just a bunch of hype.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Day one of the season MacKinnon isn't our 2nd best player. The experts are wrong if they think that, just a bunch of hype.

He was arguably the best player for the Avs in the playoffs. Calling MacKinnon the best player isn't a stretch.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That's because the people voting here don't know ****

(I voted MacKinnon 7th)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad