GDT: Avalanche-Penguins 7:30PM MDT: Changing of the Guard?

Over or under: Top line 1.5 goals

• Total voters

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Uhm, guys? =)

We're kinda good
Don't jinx it. While we are currently getting secondary scoring, I still think we need at least two better offensive players (preferably a two-way center and a right handed shot) to take the next step and start challenging for the deeper rounds of the playoffs.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
It really is amazing how adding one young but talented and dynamic skating d-man has changed the team. It's not even like he's a huge point production machine yet, but he still has changed the team just by simply being able to get the puck out of the zone effortlessly. He really is the player I was hoping Cumiskey could become. Having that one extra dynamic skater with a good passing skill just really boosted this team tremendously. I still think the secondary scoring from the forwards need an injection of skill....I feel like we are on a hot streak right now but damn this team is fun to watch.

Adding that skating d-man has made a huge difference.
And yet, some are in a huge rush to get rid of a different skating d-man on this team...

(not saying you in particular)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Don't jinx it. While we are currently getting secondary scoring, I still think we need at least two better offensive players (preferably a two-way center and a right handed shot) to take the next step and start challenging for the deeper rounds of the playoffs.

If Jost keeps up what he's doing right now, the secondary scoring isnt an issue. Soda, Jost, Compher, Kerfoot all producing very well. And Wilson pacing for 20+ goals.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just rewatched the game.

- Mackinnon has strung together a string of solid games and is looking like he did last season again. Its kind of scary to think that hes producing at such a high level yet NOT playing to his full abilities. He is right now and its amazing. Product of Mikko.

- Rantanen is getting the Foppa treatment right now. It really looked like that series against the Starts when Hatcher and Ratvichuk were draped on him but he still managed to play through it and get some points. Product of Mackinnon.

- Landeskog had a strong game and came through in the clutch when he needed to. Still kind of funny that people would take RNH over him in a redraft and I'm a huge RNH fan lol ahwell. Product of Mikko and Nathan.

- Z had a solid game last night and he sure does play better when asked to do more. I'm not even sure that's debatable anymore. More ice and he plays better. I wish he played that first Crosby goal better but ahwell.

- Grubauer second goal cant go in at that point in the game. He made up for it in the third as I thought he relaxed and played well...after Sidney got the trick.

- Sidney Crosby is still amazing. Its sad that injuries have taken away so much.

- I thought EJ had a good game. One mistake but overall a solid game. He really does need to learn how to clear a puck.

- This might have been the most entertaining game of the season for the Avs.

- I don't know what the fancy stats say but I reckon that Nemeth and Barberio were bad last night? It sure as hell looked like it.

- Kamenev and Jost look like completely different players from October to now. Kam especially is starting to show some poise out there and making the right plays each time. I don't see a need to sit Kamenev in favor of Bork or Dries...ever. Jost is moving his feet and letting the game come to him a little and its showing on his stat line. That was a very nice pass to Mack to set up the Wilson goal.

- We should be the ones complaining about the reffing last night not the Pens. Should that have been an icing? Maybe. Was that a slewfoot? Perhaps. I could show 6-7 holds on Mikko and Mackinnon alone that should have been called.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
There was a PK with Calvert last night where he gained control of the puck and pushed forward, which is good. But then he seemed to have delusions of grandeur where he lost his head and became fixated on scoring. But he wasn’t the only one and there were one or two others that pushed ahead too much like they were supposed to score. Pittsburgh regained the puck with too many on the shift pushed forward. If Pittsburgh had cleanly connected on a pass, they would have had even better numbers with 2 or 3 of our pk at the wrong end of the ice.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Grubs isn't the #1 tender but saying he let in 2 softies is unfair. If getting beat on a breakaway where Crosby needed an extra hack or two is a softie then shootouts should go 7-8 players deep routinely. 2nd goal wasn't good though, no chance on 3rd.

If Nemeth is their worst d-man, the Avs are SO much better than the recent past. Stupid penalty though.

Refs made very few judgement calls in game. Only called the obvious, automatic stuff.

Jost looks so much better at wing. Kam needs to be in lineup, especially if his trending up continues.

Announcers reference to the Globetrotters during an Avs cycle was humorous...and apt.

Crosby is still a world class player. And he still whines a lot but many of the great ones do.

Without any significant injuries they have just enough depth but...

Reactions: Perratrooper

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Grubs isn't the #1 tender but saying he let in 2 softies is unfair. If getting beat on a breakaway where Crosby needed an extra hack or two is a softie then shootouts should go 7-8 players deep routinely. 2nd goal wasn't good though, no chance on 3rd.

If Nemeth is their worst d-man, the Avs are SO much better than the recent past. Stupid penalty though.

Refs made very few judgement calls in game. Only called the obvious, automatic stuff.

Jost looks so much better at wing. Kam needs to be in lineup, especially if his trending up continues.

Announcers reference to the Globetrotters during an Avs cycle was humorous...and apt.

Crosby is still a world class player. And he still whines a lot but many of the great ones do.

Without any significant injuries they have just enough depth but...

Toss up between Nemeth and Barberio. I hate them both pretty much equally. Only thing I like about Barbs is that stache though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
- I don't know what the fancy stats say but I reckon that Nemeth and Barberio were bad last night? It sure as hell looked like it.

Pittsburgh Penguins @ Colorado Avalanche, 2018-11-28

Actually, they were barely in the negative in terms of CF%. TBH Barberio was mostly good IMO, did a decent job of winning puck battles and getting the puck out of danger, just one time in particular I remember him hesitating to get to a loose puck near the blue line that led to a break the other way. Nemeth was a little scarier and sure enough in one sequence skated the puck with no one on him and then iced it just one step short of the red line the moment a Pens player veered toward him, which is Classic Nemeth. Otherwise I didn't mind him so much, extraordinarily dumb penalty aside. To be frank all of the Avs penalties were of the enormously stupid variety. Soda's slew-foot and Kerf's high stick were both in the offensive zone I believe, and 13's negated a power play.

In terms of fancy stats the fourth line stands out but they didn't play a ton, so take it for what it's worth. The top line of course did a'ight in terms of possession, though you'd have thought they owned the puck the whole time they were out there if you had just watched the game.

IMO it's telling that Bednar went back to the Roomies Line when things went sideways, at least for a shift before putting Wilson back out there, and it did the trick. We'll probably see that combo more and more as time goes on.

Speaking of Wilson, I swear he's the Clark Griswold of hockey players. So damn clumsy sometimes. There was one play where he would've gotten a clean break up the right side of the ice only to lose his stick because it got jammed in the boards. But I'll give him credit for being in perfect position for that 2nd goal. He's now exceeded his goals total from all of last season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think the "slewfoot" was that bad. It seemed more like Landeskog tried to pin Letang and Letang counting on his force field of Cup awesomeness to protect him from any physical contact.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I don't think the "slewfoot" was that bad. It seemed more like Landeskog tried to pin Letang and Letang counting on his force field of Cup awesomeness to protect him from any physical contact.

It was definitely not the cheap shot Pens fans or even Letang seem to think it was. I'd bet that if Letang didn't lie down on the ice in the fetal position like he was dead, it probably would've been called a trip. Letang is not well-liked by the refs and none of them care for his dramatics lol.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I thought it was an obvious call (not a cheap shot but it was tripping imo) but I don't think it decided the game and I loved watching Letang's reaction. It was very funny.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
The commentators pushing the "hockey is back in Colorado" and gushing over our team makes me feel like they want us to be the next Blackhawks lol

Reactions: Foppberg

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I loved Wilson’s reaction when he scored and went up to meet Mackinnon. The expression on his face said “Yeah, now THAT was pretty impressive!”.

That play where Mackinnon kicked the puck to Rantanen at the blue line was pretty impressive, too. What a game.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
That Letang flop was so good and convincing that the refs forgot where they were for a minute and just started in awe at the sheer mesmerizing talent. That's the only explanation I have for that.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
This has been 2 good games in a row for Zadorov now.

If he can just keep things simple, and throw big hits every game he'll be exactly the player we always wanted him to be.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad