GDT: Avalanche@Leafs 7PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Leafs could have a shutdown line if they wanted one..

Johnsson Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Kadri Kapanen

I'd rather use the Tavares line with Hyman against top lines. We don't need a shutdown line, we need all of our forwards to play better defense.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 5gms:

Tavares: 6pts (0pp)
Matthews: 5pts (0pp)
Marner: 5pts (1pp)

Johnsson: 3pts (0pp)
Brown: 3pts (0pp)
Kapanen: 2pts (1pp)

Hyman: 1pts (0pp) / Moore: 1pts (0pp)
Nylander: 1pts (0pp)
Kadri: 1pts (0pp)

Marleau: 0pts (0pp)
Gauthier: 0pts (0pp)
Lindholm: 0pts (0pp)

why do people keep saying matthews is struggling?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think he's trying to jump start the third line. In theory if Kadri and Nylander were clicking that would give us one hell of 1-2-3 punch. You lose a little effectiveness on Matthews line to hopefully really boost the third line.

Agreed about needing to get that (a) third line going. There's obviously plenty of season to go, but last season the team had three 30+ goal scorers across three lines. Right now, two of the three top scorers are linemates. Think I might like Matthews with Nylander and Kadri with Kapanen consistently over time, but however it shakes out, it'd be ideal to have some others pick it up to go along with the likes of Tavares, Matthews and Marner.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I like these lines.
Gives kadri 2 speedsters and gritty players like him. I also think johnsson and him have good chemistry.

I would also try this if we are spreading it out:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
hyman-kadri-brown shutdown line, let other teams have to double shift their top lines when tavares steps on the ice and have nightmares about what to do with matthews. Just because Kadri is shutdown, it doesn't mean he has to play 100% of the time against opponent's top line. He can play maybe 40%, it'll still be enough to throw teams off their game.. We have 3 solid lines and we let the other coaches dictate what happens every time.

Toss in some matthews on tavares line when opponent throws on their 4th line.. thats home ice advantage which we never take advantage of

Think about it, other teams don't have to worry about tavares matchup because babs will already match for them. They just need to worry about getting the right guys on against Matthews. So why not make them have to worry about matching both lines. You throw Kadri out there as the guy to mess their rotations.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
@DarkKnight "Re: Sparks Injury: I think it's more mental rest than physical."

Any updates on Sparks ?
He's only been out 11 days (Feel longer than that ?) (Jan 3rd).

Hopefully that puck to the head from Nylander isnt serious.

Sure has been a lack of updates Re: Sparks' injury.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
@DarkKnight "Re: Sparks Injury: I think it's more mental rest than physical."

Any updates on Sparks ?
He's only been out 11 days (Feel longer than that ?) (Jan 3rd).

Hopefully that puck to the head from Nylander isnt serious.

Sure has been a lack of updates Re: Sparks' injury.

He's the back up tonight and fully cleared medically.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Last 5gms:

Tavares: 6pts (0pp)
Matthews: 5pts (0pp)
Marner: 5pts (1pp)

Johnsson: 3pts (0pp)
Brown: 3pts (0pp)
Kapanen: 2pts (1pp)

Hyman: 1pts (0pp) / Moore: 1pts (0pp)
Nylander: 1pts (0pp)
Kadri: 1pts (0pp)

Marleau: 0pts (0pp)
Gauthier: 0pts (0pp)
Lindholm: 0pts (0pp)

why do people keep saying matthews is struggling?

Sometimes I wonder if you watch actual games or just stats.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We gon mothatrickin bounce on these fools tonight! Real hard! THey is a one line gong show and we have it all! We have the money, the power and the personel to twerk on that thang! It's ours invest real hard tonight! Get it!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Will we ever see the Nylander Matthews duo again? ;(
Honestly, the Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen line as well as Marleau-Kadri-Nylander line both have ridiculous possession and scoring chance numbers. Once the puck goes in more for either line we may finally have that 3-line monster we've all been waiting to see.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Sometimes I wonder if you watch actual games or just stats.
Could say the same for you in this instance, Matthews has looked pretty good the last few games. He even said himself this morning that despite him being a bit snakebit this is the best he's felt since his injury.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Tavare taking on the big line, leaving Matthews and Kadri with big opportunities to take advantage tonight. Would be nice to get the 2 points against some solid competition.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
hyman-kadri-brown shutdown line, let other teams have to double shift their top lines when tavares steps on the ice and have nightmares about what to do with matthews. Just because Kadri is shutdown, it doesn't mean he has to play 100% of the time against opponent's top line. He can play maybe 40%, it'll still be enough to throw teams off their game.. We have 3 solid lines and we let the other coaches dictate what happens every time.

Toss in some matthews on tavares line when opponent throws on their 4th line.. thats home ice advantage which we never take advantage of

Think about it, other teams don't have to worry about tavares matchup because babs will already match for them. They just need to worry about getting the right guys on against Matthews. So why not make them have to worry about matching both lines. You throw Kadri out there as the guy to mess their rotations.
Hyman Kadri Brown would be a hell of a shutdown/energy line and have been advocating for this for a while now. I just don't think Babs will ever put Hyman on the 3rd line....like ever.

Reactions: frizzer1

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Who are the Leaf's point leaders vs TB and Boston ?

Marner: 5gms, 1gls, 5pts
Matthews: 3gms, 1gls, 3pts
Johnsson: 5gms, 2gls, 3pts

Kapanen: 5gms, 1gls, 3pts
Dermott: 5gms, 2gls, 2pts
Tavares: 5gms, 1gls, 2pts

Rielly: 5gms, 0gls, 2pts
Jake: 5gms, 0gls, 2pts
Marleau: 5gms, 0gls, 2pts

Ozzy: 4gms, 1gls, 1pts
Hyman: 4gms, 1gls, 1pts
Ennis: 4gms, 0gls, 1pts