Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hqdefault.jpg

Game Day: Avalanche at Maple Leafs
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
GAME DAY: Avalanche at Maple Leafs

COLORADO AVALANCHE (20-17-8) at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (28-14-2)
Monday, 7 p.m., Scotiabank Arena;
TV: TSN4, Radio: 590 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
Mikko Rantanen vs. Mitch Marner

Taken six picks apart in 2015 — the Avalanche selected Rantanen at No. 10 after Marner went No. 4 to the Leafs — the two are pieces of a high-end draft that included a couple of guys named Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel. Forget those two for a minute: Marner and Rantanen each could take the game on Monday under control and be the deciding player. Rantanen has 190 points in 210 career games; Marner has 188 in 203. Each is electrifying and worth the price printed on any ticket.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Be determined
Leafs coach Mike Babcock scoffed, nicely, at the idea that the Avalanche might be more desperate considering it has lost nine of the past 10. Toronto has won just twice in its past six games, failing mostly to put together a full 60 minutes. Colorado is in a tight wildcard race in the West, while the Leafs have the Boston Bruins nipping at their heels. “Can they be more desperate than us?” Babcock said. “I don’t know about that. You know you need the points, you need that feeling where you’re floating instead of grinding. You have to earn it.”
2. No rust here?
Frederik Andersen has been a spectator of Leafs games since Dec. 22, but has practised a handful of times in coming back from a groin injury. The goaltender didn’t think he would have much catching up to do, never mind that he also has to get past a brief illness. “I think once I get my energy back from this flu, I’m sure I will feel really refreshed and so hopefully that is something that is going to benefit us,” Andersen said. Against Colorado in his career, Andersen is 2-2-0 with a .938 save percentage and a 1.77 goals-against average.
3. Stop the top
Colorado’s No. 1 line of Nathan MacKinnon between Gabriel Landeskog and Mikko Rantanen is among the most dangerous in hockey, with Rantanen and MacKinnon in the top five in NHL scoring through Saturday. The Avs aren’t deep, so contain the big men and the Leafs give themselves a better shot. “We just have to make sure we are above them and they have to really earn what they’re going to get,” Leafs centre John Tavares said. “Extremely talented. It will be a tough matchup.”
4. Road considerations
The Avalanche has been a prolific club on the road, scoring 86 goals in 25 games — the most in the NHL before games on Sunday. Colorado also has given up 86 on the road, and though the Leafs have little interest in getting in a track meet, they have the horses to keep pace if the game veers that way. The Leafs, in 23 home games, have scored 74 goals and given up 59. Toronto is 6-12-1 when the opponent scores first; Colorado is 6-14-6.
5. Penalty for your thoughts
Leafs Nation feels some frustration when the topic of penalties arises, but some positive feelings could arise with the Avs in town. As the Leafs continue to wind their way out of power-play woes — when they had a power-play goal against Boston on Saturday, it was their first in six games — Colorado arrives with the dubious distinction of being shorthanded 95 times on the road, easily the most in the NHL. Still, Toronto has had just 55 power plays at home, one more than the Dallas Stars, who have the fewest.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Zach Hyman-John Tavares-Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson-Auston Matthews-Kasperi Kapanen
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-William Nylander
Par Lindholm-Frederik Gauthier-Connor Brown
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Igor Ozhiganov
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks/Michael Hutchinson
AVALANCHE LINES
LW-C-RW
Gabriel Landeskog-Nathan MacKinnon-Mikko Rantanen
Tyson Jost-Alex Kerfoot-J.T. Compher
Matt Nieto-Carl Soderberg-Matt Calvert
Sven Andrighetto-Sheldon Dries-Colin Wilson
Defence pairs
Sam Girard-Erik Johnson
Ian Cole-Tyson Barrie
Ryan Graves-Mark Barberio
Goaltenders
Semyon Varlamov
Philipp Grubauer
INJURIES
Avalanche — D Nikita Zadorov (lower body), LW Vladimir Kamenev (shoulder).
Maple Leafs — F Tyler Ennis (ankle).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Avalanche: 25.3% (6th)
Maple Leafs: 22.6% (8th)
Penalty kill
Avalanche: 76% (27th)
Maple Leafs: 80.5% (12th)

Andersen ready to return to Leafs crease
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
Andersen ready to return to Leafs crease
ts20190109ed02-1-e1547408336417.jpg

Last edited:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Lost both games to those guys last season(disallowed goal comes to mind)They better show up early other wise the Rantanen line will tear things up in a hurry.

Reactions: 7even

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
If Andersen is in, then I think we will win.

I'm just going to try and be positive. I feel like doom and gloom is around the corner for some fans. The team is in a lull. It's mid season. The last couple games I think they've played a lot better.

It's a few defensive break downs that cost us last game. Which is a huge piss off to what I thought was a solid 60 overall. One thing that would be great is moving Dermott up and giving him more minutes along with switching the pairs but I know that'll never happen. I like Babcock but he apparently doesn't like change to often.

This team needs to learn how to better deal with adversity... and it's on their door step right now.

Hopefully they can put together a solid streak. When they get their chances they need to start putting it in the net. I think there was too many missed chances the other night.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If Andersen is in, then I think we will win.

I'm just going to try and be positive. I feel like doom and gloom is around the corner for some fans. The team is in a lull. It's mid season. The last couple games I think they've played a lot better.

It's a few defensive break downs that cost us last game. Which is a huge piss off to what I thought was a solid 60 overall. One thing that would be great is moving Dermott up and giving him more minutes along with switching the pairs but I know that'll never happen. I like Babcock but he apparently doesn't like change to often.

This team needs to learn how to better deal with adversity... and it's on their door step right now.

Hopefully they can put together a solid streak. When they get their chances they need to start putting it in the net. I think there was too many missed chances the other night.
Both Nylander and Kadri are like dams waiting to burst. You can see it from the last few games....when they've been on the ice possession + scoring chances have been dominated by them, getting into the 60-70% range. They will start scoring fairly soon and the targets will turn to someone else (probably Matthews if he's not destroying the league or our 4th line or Ron Hainsey or something).

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Both Nylander and Kadri are like dams waiting to burst. You can see it from the last few games....when they've been on the ice possession + scoring chances have been dominated by them, getting into the 60-70% range. They will start scoring fairly soon and the targets will turn to someone else (probably Matthews if he's not destroying the league or our 4th line or Ron Hainsey or something).

They have been definitely getting their looks. I hope you're right. They have been playing well that's forsure.

Lol yeah... us Leaf fans will always need someone to bitch about. Even on a 15 game win streak lol... you'd hear about... Hainsey, Sparks, Brown, Gardiner etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Avs have been struggling recently to find wins, so this is a good time for the Leafs to take them on.

How the Leafs handle the Avs top line will be interesting to see.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Avs have been struggling recently to find wins, so this is a good time for the Leafs to take them on.

This is the what I'll be watching. If you can't shut down a one line team and you refuse to stack a line (can't beat 'em join 'em) ... then we need a new coach. Plain and simple.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is the what I'll be watching. If you can't shut down a one line team and you refuse to stack a line (can't beat 'em join 'em) ... then we need a new coach. Plain and simple.

I believe balanced scoring across 3 lines is a better strategy than just a 1 line team. The Avs really have no choice to put all their eggs in one basket because they no other choices really talent wise.

Leafs brought in a #1 elite C in JT to give them 2 elite offensive lines with Kadri a former 30 goal man centering a 3 shutdown checking line.

Leafs strength down the middle is its greatest advantage and the ability fill out those lines with a balance attack the key to long-term success.

1 line teams that beating up on our Leafs, is a symptom of the Leafs defense weakness not an issue with its offense.

Reactions: Budsfan

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I think this will come down to an either or:
1. Shutdown their top line and win in squeaker; or
2. Run and gun baby, win something like 6 to 3.
I would bet on the latter.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Expecting a Matthews - Willy show.

They have to be feeling the heat and this is the perfect game to turn down the temperature

Reactions: Macallan18

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Our PDO was very high and our possession numbers were middle of the pack... lately our PDO has dropped but our possession is suddenly looking much better. I think this team is just going through a lull and will come back strong... this is a good thing happening now because it will set us up to be a better team when it really matters.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I really think the game depends on the Avs keeper.

Leafs don't have a shutdown line so let's say 3 goals for the Avs.

Leafs score 4 or more and they win.

Leafs have scored 158 GF on the season vs 151 for the Avs.

Last goal wins might be tonight's game script with both teams averaging > 3 GF/game.

Reactions: Macallan18

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Expecting a few goals tonight, Andersen may be a little rusty.

One of the rare games I'll attend where I'm not driving.
Always a different view when drinks are consumed.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015

I'm not as worried about how they'll handle the top line as much as I'm worried about our scoring problem of late. On Saturday, both Marchand and Bergeron didn't get a point and Pastrnak's goal was a gift that he shouldn't have had. We've been losing too much lately cause we just can't score anymore, especially when it counts. Of late, the losses to the Wild and the Bruins were by one goal cause we just couldn't score one goal in an entire period to tie it up, Matthews was always there to do that for us but he's disappeared for a while now. I sure hope this problem is short-lived cause it was great knowing we could win against any team we play, but now a days, we barely squeak by the basement dweller Devils. Recently, we've been beaten badly by the Caps, Bolts, Preds and the Bruins (and an embarrassing shutout loss to the Isles) because our offense has just dried up in crucial moments.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

We really need a shut down line, this is ridiculous, our top scoring line is doing double duty and detracting from being the top scoring line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad