Rumor: Avalanche interested in Micheal Ferland

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He’ll fit very well beside Rantanen and Mackinnon as the physical presence that was missed on the top line when they put Kerfoot in Landeskog’s spot following the all star game.

Allows Landeskog to run his own 2nd line. Plus with additions of Donskoi and Burakovsky perhaps the Avs are fixing that depth problem.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Ferland would make the Avs tougher to play against in the playoffs, that's for sure.

If he decides he's healthy enough to play, that is.

The only problem I had with Ferland was his stubbornness. He was able to convince the staff that he was ready to play after injuries, a few times this past season, only to exit a couple shifts into the first. He had a nagging injury and Brindy was not the biggest fan of his past April.

Hopefully you guys get him to a good deal and he stays healthy

Reactions: BHD

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If he decides he's healthy enough to play, that is.

The only problem I had with Ferland was his stubbornness. He was able to convince the staff that he was ready to play after injuries, a few times this past season, only to exit a couple shifts into the first. He had a nagging injury and Brindy was not the biggest fan of his past April.

Hopefully you guys get him to a good deal and he stays healthy
He's like Landeskog when he entered the league. Doesn't know how to pick his spots and puts a serious toll on his body. he should take a page out of Landy's book, and look how he re-invented himself. Sure, Gabe is far more talented and his hockey IQ and defensive game are off the charts in comparison to Ferland, but he can become a PWF type who is great around the net and can cause havoc on the forecheck.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Any updates?

No.
But I highly doubt that the Avs add yet another forward. Especially if he wants more than a year. We have a full set of forwards and still have Greer/Kamenev and to a lesser extent Kaut/Bowers who will all want to compete for a roster spot. Avs don't really have room for another 2nd/3rd line tweener...

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
No.
But I highly doubt that the Avs add yet another forward. Especially if he wants more than a year. We have a full set of forwards and still have Greer/Kamenev and to a lesser extent Kaut/Bowers who will all want to compete for a roster spot. Avs don't really have room for another 2nd/3rd line tweener...

We need to forget about kamenev/Greer and Bowers and kaut need another year. Ferland would be great, gusev too. Gusev only wants 2 years, the longer Ferland remains the better chance at a short term contract. We wanna be as competitive as possible.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Avs would be a physical and nasty team to play against in a good way.

Don’t love it as a Blues fan but he’d be a great pick up.

Ferland Mackinon Rantenen
Landeskog Kadri Donskoi

Last edited:

Ditch Donkey

Oct 3, 2017
He'd fit perfect with the Av's, if this happens this team is gonna be a lot harder to play against than they already are.
You'd need to call Orkin up to deal with Kadri and Ferland..

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
We need to forget about kamenev/Greer and Bowers and kaut need another year. Ferland would be great, gusev too. Gusev only wants 2 years, the longer Ferland remains the better chance at a short term contract. We wanna be as competitive as possible.

I disagree. Avs will need cheap depth in the future. The time to always overspend on your 3rd/4th liners is rapidly coming to an end. Time to show everybody that we can fill holes from within. Our young guys need a perspective and a path to the NHL or it will hamper their development in the longrun. You can't just load up on expensive bottom-6 forwards and also want to build from within. You need atleast a spot or two that is somewhat open for grabs for the young guns if they impress in camp. Otherwise why should they even bother?
Ferland is a walking injury concern. If he wants anything more than 1-2 years, I run screaming away from him. He is also not needed with the crapton of 2nd/3rd line tweeners we now have on our roster.
Rather give Greer another shot in camp given that we will lose him for free on waivers anyways if he does not make the team.

Gusev I would not mind so much given his legit offensive upside but the Avs have nothing to offer to Vegas. They are not going to give him to a team that might challenge them for the West in the next 2-3 years for cheap. I am not willing to give up a 1st + for him and I don't see anything else that realistically will make them trade him to the Avs.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I disagree. Avs will need cheap depth in the future. The time to always overspend on your 3rd/4th liners is rapidly coming to an end. Time to show everybody that we can fill holes from within. Our young guys need a perspective and a path to the NHL or it will hamper their development in the longrun. You can't just load up on expensive bottom-6 forwards and also want to build from within. You need atleast a spot or two that is somewhat open for grabs for the young guns if they impress in camp. Otherwise why should they even bother?
Ferland is a walking injury concern. If he wants anything more than 1-2 years, I run screaming away from him. He is also not needed with the crapton of 2nd/3rd line tweeners we now have on our roster.
Rather give Greer another shot in camp given that we will lose him for free on waivers anyways if he does not make the team.

Gusev I would not mind so much given his legit offensive upside but the Avs have nothing to offer to Vegas. They are not going to give him to a team that might challenge them for the West in the next 2-3 years for cheap. I am not willing to give up a 1st + for him and I don't see anything else that realistically will make them trade him to the Avs.

Ferland hasnt missed more than 11 games in a season since being called up to the NHL. That isn't too bad at all. I don't mean forget about kamenev/Greer completely but they shouldn't be a concern this year. Kamenev is truely never healthy. Greer could get some time due to injuries but other than that our bottom 6 is strong.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
No one will claim Greer on waivers.

I think someone will. We will see but I am pretty confident that someone will take a chance on his pedigree (somewhat recent 2nd rounder), size and great AHL numbers given that it will cost them nothing....

Wouldn't be the end of the world if we lose him on waivers but I'd rather keep him as our 13th forward over signing another depth forward.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHBREWER

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
kinda interesting no one of significance has signed in almost 18 hours.

Wonder if there's a clear holdup

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Of course the hold up would be term... I don't think Ferland has a long career in this league and he knows it. Whose going to give this guy a 5 year deal and have a 3 year headache.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Sakic is most likely done for the summer, apart from resigning his own RFA's.

Avs should enter into the season with around $5m in capspace, so may look to add a Ferland-type forward at the deadline instead depending on how Burakowsky plays until then.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think Ferland is the perfect player to add for the Avs, just matters on term and AAV. I'd be fine with throwing 5mil on a 1 year deal and rolling lines of:
Ferland-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Kadri-Jost
Burakovsky-Compher-Donskoi
Nieto-Bellemare-Calvert

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Can this dude stay healthy? Survey says no, but you might get lucky.

Teams by now are surely aware of his drawbacks. If he gets the standard 5-6 million dollar power forward contract I'll be surprised, but smart teams have done dumber things in free agency before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad