GDT: Avalanche @ Capitals - 10/12/13 7 PM - Neuvy vs Varly

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought Schmidt played about as I expected. Good offensive awareness and mobility. I didnt notice him too much on D but had to turn the game off.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A team meeting 6 games in of this sort is embarrassing.

A culture if malaise, complacency.

Epically mismanaged.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Cherry picking stats in a loss is stupid IMO. We lost 5-1 and are now 1-4 to start the season. Change needs to occur in his lineup, that's the bottom line.

The reality is Goal 1 was tipped in by Carlson, #2 was a player scoring while falling, and #4 was a shot that hit Neuvirth in the wrist and rode up and went vertical and went through a puck sized hole.

Burakovsky95*

The reality is Goal 1 was tipped in by Carlson, #2 was a player scoring while falling, and #4 was a shot that hit Neuvirth in the wrist and rode up and went vertical and went through a puck sized hole.

The reality is the game ended 5-1. Say what you want. Sounds a whole lot familiar to what we were saying after games lost to the Rnagers in last years playoffs. That's a home game lost by 4 goals. Excuses are so much fun!

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The reality is the game ended 5-1. Say what you want. Sounds a whole lot familiar to what we were saying after games lost to the Rnagers in last years playoffs. That's a home game lost by 4 goals. Excuses are so much fun!

Its excuses or its ****ing play mental gymnastics like everyone here is.

All ****ing game long it was how great Varlamov was playing "best Capitals goalie," "should have kept him," all this talk about Varlamov playing great and what an idiot McPhee was for trading him. Either Varlamov played great or was adequate enough against a team playing bad. Pick one.

Liberati0n*

Oates' scrum this morning was interesting.

Caps at 28 minutes of zone time vs 8 for the avs. Caps also had 128 zone entries and their previous high was 70.

Two power play goals against, a shorty against, and two goals off the rush.

He had some other interesting things to say as well.

Score effects.

Burakovsky95*

All ****ing game long it was how great Varlamov was playing "best Capitals goalie," "should have kept him," all this talk about Varlamov playing great and what an idiot McPhee was for trading him. Either Varlamov played great or was adequate enough against a team playing bad. Pick one.

I never once said Mcphee was an idiot for dealing Varly. If we still had Forsberg I'd actually still like the deal. Ive been on the "this team is just bad" bandwagon this entire time....

Koized

Oct 8, 2005

And I bet you would be blaming Holtby if he was in net for the exact same goals and not making excuses.

Halpysback*

Giving a career hockey player statistics is like giving a two year old a grenade.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

NO.

The "reality" is the team is 1-4, and has given up 20 goals in 5 games. You can blame luck, or bad bounces, or whatever, but that is the only "reality" that matters.

Figure it out.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
NO.

The "reality" is the team is 1-4, and has given up 20 goals in 5 games. You can blame luck, or bad bounces, or whatever, but that is the only "reality" that matters.

Figure it out.

The reality is you did the same whining last year.

Remember 8-2-2? 3-0-0 makes this years team .500.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
Compare our payroll and our current record, does it match for what we are paying for production on the ice? easy answer NO. SO SOMETHING NEEDS FIXED QUICKLY. another sad, sad state for being a Caps fan.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They hired Francois Allaire. Previously I don't even think they had a goalie coach, and were relying solely on Giggy's mentorship. One of the many head scratching decisions of Sherman/Sacco.

Thought you guys would catch my sarcasm.

Anyway, Varly was playing better than Neuvirth even without Allaire. Just had the swiss cheese defense (IMHO).

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Thought you guys would catch my sarcasm.

Anyway, Varly was playing better than Neuvirth even without Allaire. Just had the swiss cheese defense (IMHO).

Varlamov was already clearly the better goalie before the trade. If we still had FF I could live with it though.

But the Varly story is classic GMGM. An obviously talented player with injury concerns -- huge potential and huge possible downside -- wants more opportunity. George fails utterly to negotiate a deal that would allow the kid some confidence that if he stayed healthy and played to his potential, he'd get what he wanted, but without selling out the franchise. Instead, intransigence...

And now Varly's lighting the league on fire in another sweater.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Varlamov was already clearly the better goalie before the trade. If we still had FF I could live with it though.

But the Varly story is classic GMGM. An obviously talented player with injury concerns -- huge potential and huge possible downside -- wants more opportunity. George fails utterly to negotiate a deal that would allow the kid some confidence that if he stayed healthy and played to his potential, he'd get what he wanted, but without selling out the franchise. Instead, intransigence...

Yeah that .903 save percentage last year really turned some heads.

Liberati0n*

I love Varlamov, but really come on. That's a pretty serious stretch of a description.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I love Varlamov, but really come on. That's a pretty serious stretch of a description.

What, lighting it on fire? Fine. Hyperbole to be sure. But do you disagree with the scenario? I'm not suggesting that McPhee should've given him anything and everything...

And frankly, Holtby could easily be the better goalie in a year or two...

But McPhee's long-term planning sucks. He gives obviously mediocre players excessive contracts and won't negotiate strategically with many of his most talented prospects. The Alzner and Mojo bridges may reflect a learning curve, but Varly was worth a little risk where Erskine just wasn't.

Liberati0n*

If anyone screwed Varlamov over, it was Boudreau, who clearly favored Neuvirth. Varlamov's demands were ridiculous and weren't based on nearly a large enough body of work. He put McPhee in a position where it was impossible to do anything other than get rid of him.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
If anyone screwed Varlamov over, it was Boudreau, who clearly favored Neuvirth. Varlamov's demands were ridiculous and weren't based on nearly a large enough body of work. He put McPhee in a position where it was impossible to do anything other than get rid of him.

Well, McPhee could have negotiated in bad faith and offered him the starting job (without really meaning it) and given in to his salary demands. But McPhee took a stand and refused to hand out a $2.8 million contract to a potential backup. Because that's just crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad