GDT: Avalanche at Blues 12/29/23 @6:00PM MT (Emergency GDT) We can't possibly mess up again.... Right?

Best Soda? Pop? Coke is all?

• Coke

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Pepesi

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Dr.Peppee

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Mountain Dew

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Sprite

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Orange Crush

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Root Beer

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Cream Soda

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 7UP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr.Pepper

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Agree. The Blues passing was shredding the Avs D zone coverage. They picked lanes to pass through at random and consistently.

And the Blues consistently shut down the Avs ability to rush the puck. The 3rd period was actually a grind 'em out contest and I am amazed that the Avs handled it.

You know the saying, your best players have to the best players on the ice. This will likely PO adoring fans but MacKinnon was not good tonight. Nuke has lost that very top edge he displayed in Dec. Makar is not quite right. Elite still but not at the top of his game. And Rants.... well we've seen him play like this many times over the years.

Yet everyone pisses and moans about RyJo and Toews and Georgiev. And yet, they were the Avs best players tonight. (IMO).
You have to admire Blues ability to be shit and still force the games to grind, so they are boring on top of that.

f*** them I say.

Snow Arc

We have to shout above the din of our RiceCrispies
Aug 14, 2020
The Blues GDT is only 7 pages. Does anyone get the feeling that if Kadri was still on the Avs it would be double that? It would be half vitriol and half defending the vitriol.
Was there any ire for MacDermid, who actually did what Kadri supposedly did?

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
After last night's game versus the Blues my faith in Georgiev is somewhat restored. Now let's see if he can string a few good games together!

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
I think Georgiev's "issues" are the same thing plaguing the whole team right now. He doesn't know where his defense is going to be. He covers the wrong areas and is forced to cheat one way or the other, and he is picking the wrong spots putting him out of position. Yes, he is having some bad goals, but why the hell are we making mistakes with defense being out of position when most of the team defense is intact from the cup year. Too many defenders pinching too often. Crazy errant low percentage passes from Mack and Mikko (due to them trying to creat offense out of high risk plays)...I hope Girard returning will help a bit. If it cleans up when he does come back, hopefully we can all recognize his significance. Team is just playing completely undisciplined, and some nights their skill is high enough to compensate.....but others....yuck.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Georgiev's "issues" are the same thing plaguing the whole team right now. He doesn't know where his defense is going to be. He covers the wrong areas and is forced to cheat one way or the other, and he is picking the wrong spots putting him out of position. Yes, he is having some bad goals, but why the hell are we making mistakes with defense being out of position when most of the team defense is intact from the cup year. Too many defenders pinching too often. Crazy errant low percentage passes from Mack and Mikko (due to them trying to creat offense out of high risk plays)...I hope Girard returning will help a bit. If it cleans up when he does come back, hopefully we can all recognize his significance. Team is just playing completely undisciplined, and some nights their skill is high enough to compensate.....but others....yuck.
Ehhhh I don't know about that. Georgiev has just been plain bad.

Of 27 goalies to play 800+ minutes he is 19th in GSAA and he is in the negatives.

If he just breaks even in that metric, the Avs are probably looking at 2-3 more wins and being 1st in the league right now.

The Avs defense has been bad, I'm not saying it hasn't been but Georgiev gives up bad goals almost nightly. Those stop and the Avs are dominant.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
Ehhhh I don't know about that. Georgiev has just been plain bad.

Of 27 goalies to play 800+ minutes he is 19th in GSAA and he is in the negatives.

If he just breaks even in that metric, the Avs are probably looking at 2-3 more wins and being 1st in the league right now.

The Avs defense has been bad, I'm not saying it hasn't been but Georgiev gives up bad goals almost nightly. Those stop and the Avs are dominant.
Understand that to be sure (stats are stats)....I am just saying he is getting a bit more heat than perhaps he should...because the high danger chances we are giving up seem to be excessive. I think we will clean this up...I seem to recall (correct me if I am wrong) that we tend to have bad Decembers, and much better January and on) but schedule etc play a major role. I just feel Toews comments were pretty revealing as to what type of play we are seeing. Also, 2-3 wins putting us in first should make us all optimistic right? Maybe not SeaEagles level, but optimistic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Understand that to be sure (stats are stats)....I am just saying he is getting a bit more heat than perhaps he should...because the high danger chances we are giving up seem to be excessive. I think we will clean this up...I seem to recall (correct me if I am wrong) that we tend to have bad Decembers, and much better January and on) but schedule etc play a major role. I just feel Toews comments were pretty revealing as to what type of play we are seeing. Also, 2-3 wins putting us in first should make us all optimistic right? Maybe not SeaEagles level, but optimistic.
The Avs are actually 11th in the league in high danger chances against overall at even strength.

Now that number drops to 21st in all situations, as the Avs are bottom-5 in the league on the PK in terms of high danger chances against BUT the caveat here is Georgiev has actually been fantastic on the PK (along with Prosvetov). The Avs are 3rd in the league in high danger SV% despite being 27th in high danger chances against. So that isn't a problem and in all likelihood it regresses.

What we can only hope for is Georgiev to stop giving up goals he isn't supposed to.

Reactions: S E P H

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

This isn't true. We're still a Top 10 team in the league, top 5 when you account for games played, in this stat.

George just isn't good.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
Ok I am wrong then....again stats are stats, and the eye test is not always accurate. I think my criticism is focused on Mikko lately which has jaded my view on almost everything lol.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
After last night's game versus the Blues my faith in Georgiev is somewhat restored. Now let's see if he can string a few good games together!

He definitely has another level or two in him that he's actually shown. Just need it more consistently.

That can be said for the whole team too.

Reactions: LTCPain75

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Georgiev absolutely deserves credit but it has to be said—regardless of their up and down season, the Blues are just not that good a team. They’re trying right now to build around a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners and that ain’t gonna cut it.
I think they have three legit top line players in Thomas, Kyrou, and Buchnevich.

There's just nothing remotely resembling a 2nd line behind them - much like the Avs. Schenn, Saad, Toropchenko are 3rd line guys (Toropchenko closer to 4th line) and the rest are either 4th liners or borderline NHL tweeners. Neighbours probably can become a 2nd line guy in the future.

Difference between us and them us our high end forwards are better than theirs, and they don't have Cale Makar.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Georgiev absolutely deserves credit but it has to be said—regardless of their up and down season, the Blues are just not that good a team. They’re trying right now to build around a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners and that ain’t gonna cut it.

Wasn't that their last strategy? Just have to find another ROR.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wasn't that their last strategy? Just have to find another ROR.

I suppose you're right, but they'd better hope they can switch coaches in November, fall to dead last in the entire league by December 31st, then call up a no-name goalie who'd previously refused an assignment to the ECHL, and hope a winger who hadn't done jack shit in the regular season suddenly becomes Conn Smythe-caliber in the playoffs.

I still think it's funny that everyone thought we'd see some weird total fluke results in the bubble tournament (yes I know, the Habs, they still didn't win it) and the weird, contracted season that followed, but the crazy-ass, never-again-in-50-years fluke run had happened the year before.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think they have three legit top line players in Thomas, Kyrou, and Buchnevich.

There's just nothing remotely resembling a 2nd line behind them - much like the Avs. Schenn, Saad, Toropchenko are 3rd line guys (Toropchenko closer to 4th line) and the rest are either 4th liners or borderline NHL tweeners. Neighbours probably can become a 2nd line guy in the future.

Difference between us and them us our high end forwards are better than theirs, and they don't have Cale Makar.
I'm a huge fan of Boosh and he has the TALENT to be a legit top line player but take Mikko, shave off about 20 lbs., scoop out some of the scoring talent and replace it with some added defensive ability, and cut the work ethic in half and you have Buchnevich.

As for Thomas and Kyrou, yeah okay, top line guys, sure. I'd say they're still shy of franchise-level but yeah they're top line.

Basically the Blues are kinda/sorta at where they were when they were trying to make runs with David Backes and a young T.J. Oshie as their best players up front. Good players? Yeah. Great players? No. They still need a gamebreaker. Hopefully they don't get one anytime soon.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm a huge fan of Boosh and he has the TALENT to be a legit top line player but take Mikko, shave off about 20 lbs., scoop out some of the scoring talent and replace it with some added defensive ability, and cut the work ethic in half and you have Buchnevich.

As for Thomas and Kyrou, yeah okay, top line guys, sure. I'd say they're still shy of franchise-level but yeah they're top line.

Basically the Blues are kinda/sorta at where they were when they were trying to make runs with David Backes and a young T.J. Oshie as their best players up front. Good players? Yeah. Great players? No. They still need a gamebreaker. Hopefully they don't get one anytime soon.
I won't debate the style of player Buchnevich is, but any player in this league with 171 points in 169 games over his last three Blues seasons is a legit top line guy to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad