Av *implies* that the canucks would have won the cup if not for bad reffing

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not really surprising. He's right, and what happened over the final 30 games of that season and through the playoffs was just criminal. And the Boston series was a joke.

I posted the numbers at the time, and I've forgotten them now, but if memory serves we had more PPs than the opposition in a game 1 time in 40 games starting in February of that season. And we were the best puck possession team in the league, dominating territory. Some really weird, suspect BS was happening that spring.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
yeah because their PP was all world during that series... totally would have made a difference :sarcasm:

Thanks for your keen analysis.

But if the refs were calling penalties instead of letting them get away with so much, that would have made a big difference, and not just in the scoring. We might have had a few less injuries as well, and there would have been less intimidation going on.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not really surprising. He's right, and what happened over the final 30 games of that season and through the playoffs was just criminal. And the Boston series was a joke.

I posted the numbers at the time, and I've forgotten them now, but if memory serves we had more PPs than the opposition in a game 1 time in 40 games starting in February of that season. And we were the best puck possession team in the league, dominating territory. Some really weird, suspect BS was happening that spring.

We watched the Canucks get burned by the lack of discipline and composure displayed in the 09 and 10 playoffs. We resorted to skill, ended up playing a disciplined game...only for the rules to change, to allow slashes, hooks, stray punches after the whistle, dangerous tackles, and slewfoots. This coupled with that insane suspension handed down to Rome cost us a chance of at least competing in that series (not saying we would have won.) It was after that series, that I seriously moved on from watching the NHL (haven't spent a dime on merchandise). It's seriously frustrating watching a sport where the rules not only change from month to month, but within periods...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for your keen analysis.

But if the refs were calling penalties instead of letting them get away with so much, that would have made a big difference, and not just in the scoring. We might have had a few less injuries as well, and there would have been less intimidation going on.

... and without the joke of a suspension to Aaron Rome - who was playing really well at that point - and his subsequent replacement in the lineup with Alberts, that is probably a different series. Alberts was just atrocious in that series, couldn't keep up, -7 in 6 games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We watched the Canucks get burned by the lack of discipline and composure displayed in the 09 and 10 playoffs. We resorted to skill, ended up playing a disciplined game...only for the rules to change, to allow slashes, hooks, stray punches after the whistle, dangerous tackles, and slewfoots. This coupled with that insane suspension handed down to Rome cost us a chance of at least competing in that series (not saying we would have won.) It was after that series, that I seriously moved on from watching the NHL (haven't spent a dime on merchandise). It's seriously frustrating watching a sport where the rules not only change from month to month, but within periods...

Yeah, all that stuff happened.

But we were still getting called. It was bizarre. The last 2 months of that season, the other team had more PPs than us, every single night. And it continued through the playoffs. Our players would get tackled at one end of the rink, and then they'd come down to the other end and get called for a rinky-dink hook.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
I'll always maintain that we lost that series because our team was decimated by injuries. Just a broken down worn out team barely holding it together against a hungry NHL team that I believe loses to a fully (or reasonably) healthy 2011 roster. Just didn't work out. The injuries were too much to overcome, and no type of reffing would've changed that.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Reffing was worse when we lost to the Hawks in '09, that team could have easily gone all the way. Most egregious screw-up in the Final against Boston was the suspension to Rome, still baffles me why they consulted Brian Burke on that, I mean he obviously is not just a disinterested observer, he has an angle there, and they let him weigh in anyways because Colin Campbell had to recuse himself? It would have been better to have Campbell make the call, regardless of who his kid played for.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
We could have gotten another 1000 powerplays, it wouldn't have helped us where it matters. Half the team was out and the other half was playing on one leg. It's amazing we even made it to game 7.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
We could have gotten another 1000 powerplays, it wouldn't have helped us where it matters. Half the team was out and the other half was playing on one leg. It's amazing we even made it to game 7.

So being 5 on 3 that whole series we still wouldn't have won?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

It's not over. Watching the post season against the Sharks ... a team built around their power play ... get fed opportunity after opportunity and the Canucks get nothing.

At the end of the series, the Sharks coach (I recall), even admits things went their way, but rather pathetically stated that it was just an evening up from the previous year. You know, when the Sharks got called for things like putting the puck over the glass. How dare they get penalized for that!

I know all teams in the league (well, except the Bruins and Hawks) have a right to gripe about the officiating and the "Shannahan" treatment, but I've never seen anything as predictable or as pathetically one sided as the crap directed at this club.

During the Boston series, they go to impartial Brian freaking Burke to get his informed decision. Yeah.

The fact is, the Canucks are the bottom of this league in importance. The only thing they're good for is a team to use when they want to "set an example".

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It's not over. Watching the post season against the Sharks ... a team built around their power play ... get fed opportunity after opportunity and the Canucks get nothing.

At the end of the series, the Sharks coach (I recall), even admits things went their way, but rather pathetically stated that it was just an evening up from the previous year. You know, when the Sharks got called for things like putting the puck over the glass. How dare they get penalized for that!

I know all teams in the league (well, except the Bruins and Hawks) have a right to gripe about the officiating and the "Shannahan" treatment, but I've never seen anything as predictable or as pathetically one sided as the crap directed at this club.

During the Boston series, they go to impartial Brian freaking Burke to get his informed decision. Yeah.

The fact is, the Canucks are the bottom of this league in importance. The only thing they're good for is a team to use when they want to "set an example".

Maybe it all goes back to the Burrows/Auger indecent...:sarcasm:

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

that spring stretched to today and even in preseason games :cry:

StringerBell

AV doing a good job deflecting from his piss poor coaching in that series. I know he's supposed to be a hands off coach, but seriously who lets their goalie decide whether or not they're being pulled?

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
AV doing a good job deflecting from his piss poor coaching in that series. I know he's supposed to be a hands off coach, but seriously who lets their goalie decide whether or not they're being pulled?

he also dressed Rome after Ballard got us past the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad