Av *implies* that the canucks would have won the cup if not for bad reffing

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I can't remember the last time we got some calls our way...and by our way I mean not completely shafted. There was that one game in 2012 vs Boston. Other than that...not much coming to mind.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'll always maintain that we lost that series because our team was decimated by injuries. Just a broken down worn out team barely holding it together against a hungry NHL team that I believe loses to a fully (or reasonably) healthy 2011 roster. Just didn't work out. The injuries were too much to overcome, and no type of reffing would've changed that.

This. Put Hamhuis alone back in the lineup and I very much doubt we get scored on by the dozen, never mind a healthy Kesler. Boston won the series by virtue of risky gamble on the part of Julien, who took notice of Kesler's inability to skate, let alone play the shutdown role he was accustom to, and focused exclusively on the Sedins. It worked.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
AV is right, the officiating did become lopsided. We weren't a gritty, muck it up team, we were trying to go with the Detroit model and punish teams with our PP.

Yes, the even strength offense dried up, but a couple more PP's per game might have also killed Boston's momentum. It still was a close series that could have gone either way, and I think if the series was called fairly there might have been a different result. I think that the refs were affected by the jealous Canadian media that were calling out the Canucks as a diving team in the first 3 rounds, and they decided to even things up.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
We would've won the Cup if we had a healthy Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Kesler, Samuelsson & Malhotra. Boston was missing, what, Horton and Marc Savard?

The officiating and it's bizarre inconsistency didn't help, but we didn't have the horses, and Vigneault struggled to adapt against adversity. The team had really only faced it in Games 6 & 7 vs. Chicago and, with a full contingent in those games, had looked good. When Hamhuis hip-checked Lucic and tore his groin, we were done for. The Rome suspension made our defense Bieksa-Ehrhoff (shoulder injury) Edler (broken fingers)-Salo (is made of glass) Tanev (green rookie)-Alberts. That was never going to keep a strong offense at bay

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
-Injuries
-Boston's defense is pretty good last time I checked.
(Selke, Norris, Vezina winners)

...and it still went to 7

-reffing wasn't great, but wasn't the top reason

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
For me, the clincher was Mason Raymond: Boychuk drives him into the boards, breaks his back, and gets no penalty, no supplemental discipline, nothing.

If the refs had done their jobs, there would have likely been fewer injuries to the Canucks, and that would have made a difference.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
For me, the clincher was Mason Raymond: Boychuk drives him into the boards, breaks his back, and gets no penalty, no supplemental discipline, nothing.

If the refs had done their jobs, there would have likely been fewer injuries to the Canucks, and that would have made a difference.

It was just icing on the cake by that point. All this outrage over a Rome hit that was maybe a couple of frames on the high speed camera late and otherwise clean, and there was nothing done about the Raymond hit.

The D was decimated, but we also lost some key pieces up front along the way. Samuelsson would have come in handy for secondary offense, that's for sure. Malhotra was a shell of his former self, but we didn't realize it before we slotted him back in. Kesler playing hurt, who was so key in the Predators series, was a massive blow. The Sedins are only effective when the other team has to worry about line matching against more than their line.

Imuzi

Viaduct Villains
Mar 18, 2012
Representin' the COQ
The finals performance was downright embarrassing from us.

I haven't watched anything from that series since it happened and don't think I ever will.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Colin+Campbell+Boston+Bruins+v+Vancouver+Canucks+vM2-VRObAB-l.jpg

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
AV's victim complex is going to end up hurting him again.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
I agree the officiating was garbage but let's be real here, all the team had to do was score a few goals and not get blown out in every game in Boston and they could've had rings. When you get shut out in game 7 on home ice with the cup at stake, you just didn't want it badly enough.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
A poor excuse for a power play is what did us in. We couldn't cash in on the opportunities we did get for various reasons (Ehrhoff not anywhere 100%, "awesome assistant coach in charge of the power play", etc.,).

King of the ES*

Can't stand excuse-making.

Sorry, Mr. Vigneault, you would've needed a hell of a lot more than a few PPs to overcome 8-1, 4-0, and 5-2 beatdowns in Beantown.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Reffing was worse when we lost to the Hawks in '09, that team could have easily gone all the way. Most egregious screw-up in the Final against Boston was the suspension to Rome, still baffles me why they consulted Brian Burke on that, I mean he obviously is not just a disinterested observer, he has an angle there, and they let him weigh in anyways because Colin Campbell had to recuse himself? It would have been better to have Campbell make the call, regardless of who his kid played for.

To me that decision always seemed pretty incriminating that Campbell was indeed biased for his sons team, he was pretty much admitting it here by passing the call onto someone else. So you look back to other incidents like Chara on Pacioretty at the end of the regular season or Horton taking out with a head shot... was it Teddy Purcell? Plus whatever else there was, none of which ended up with any league discipline.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
The worst thing about the way calls are going against the team is it cant help but cause the team to be apprehensive going forward. They cannot play balls to the wall because they know even borderline calls will go against them. I would imagine it must get into their heads at some point and now have to start over thinking the game. Never a recipe for success.

The Boston series was bullsheet. But as many have said it was hardly the only reason. Team health is probably the biggest. The SJS series was simply mind boggling. I still remember the Roy penalty for throwing his first ever body check. If you can even call it that as I seem to remember he mostly missed the guy! The most obvious display of biased reffing in any sport that i recall seeing. And because of some creepy hate that the league/fans have against the Canucks nothing was said or done. When I found out it was the same ref in both series... oh my...

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
AV's victim complex is going to end up hurting him again.

I was hoping the refs really hated AV and the coaching staff and the refs screwing us would stop once their gone... still early but it's not looking good based on pre-season games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad