GDT: Austria vs Canada 12:00PM est/10:00AM mst

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Kunitz was off Crosby's line in the third. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the odd man out next game. Could have had Giroux.

Meh someone has to sit who cares if its Giroux or Kunitz just get it right, it clearly needs to be Kunitz. Also I would have taken Duchene over Giroux anyway.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The goal against Price yesterday was unlucky, but Luongo played a good game today and he does have more/better experience.

What experience has Luongo had which is better than Price's? None of Luongo's experiences in big games have ever been particularly great, and that includes the gold medal win in 2010, where he allowed the tying goal in the final minute of regulation.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What experience has Luongo had which is better than Price's? None of Luongo's experiences in big games have ever been particularly great, and that includes the gold medal win in 2010, where he allowed the tying goal in the final minute of regulation.

Same could be said for Price, they have both had question marks in the NHL under pressure and to be honest are very even. I don't care who we go with as long as we stick with them.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Same could be said for Price, they have both had question marks in the NHL under pressure and to be honest are very even. I don't care who we go with as long as we stick with them.

Exactly. We don't have any goalie who is known for clutch performances, so to say one has better experience than the other is a little thin, in my opinion. Seems like Luongo is getting the benefit of having played in the more recent game.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Didn't he have a 1.76 GAA in that 2010 win? I give him the benfit for having played more games, not the most recent performance.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Exactly. We don't have any goalie who is known for clutch performances, so to say one has better experience than the other is a little thin, in my opinion. Seems like Luongo is getting the benefit of having played in the more recent game.

I agree I think the starter was decided long before these games I am you could lose the starting job getting lit up but I don't a win by either changes anything.

Didn't he have a 1.76 GAA in that 2010 win? I give him the benfit for having played more games, not the most recent performance.

The problem with using GAA is it takes into account the games against teams like Norway and offense to them but I would hope Lou can keep them under 2 goals.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Yeah, including games against Germany and Norway, though, which obviously bring that number down. Slovakia too, though they played well last Olympics. He let in at least one softy in the Slovakia game that I remember. He played against the US in the final and Russia in the quarters, which were the games where he would have been most challenged.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah, including games against Germany and Norway, though, which obviously bring that number down. Slovakia too, though they played well last Olympics. He let in at least one softy in the Slovakia game that I remember. He played against the US in the final and Russia in the quarters, which were the games where he would have been most challenged.

The Russians beat themselves last time too didn't they? I vividly remember Nabokov getting light up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kunitz should never have even made the team. Honestly, it's a travesty they took him over guys like Giroux, St.Louis, and even Hall.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Duchene may end up being a better player than Giroux down the road, but he's not the better one right now. Giroux was still nursing an injury when the season started, he's been one of the hottest players in the NHL over the last 2 months. He's also been playing slightly at a PPG average since then. Duchene is awesome, loads of talent! I think he's going to be a very special player, but as of today I think Giroux is the player Duchene may become.

For the posters saying Kunitz had a bad game, would you just scratch him next game?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Duchene may end up being a better player than Giroux down the road, but he's not the better one right now. Giroux was still nursing an injury when the season started, he's been one of the hottest players in the NHL over the last 2 months. He's also been playing slightly at a PPG average since then. Duchene is awesome, loads of talent! I think he's going to be a very special player, but as of today I think Giroux is the player Duchene may become.

For the posters saying Kunitz had a bad game, would you just scratch him next game?

With Carter, MSL, Perry, Sharp, Bergeron as right handed players I would prefer Duchene at LW over Giroux at LW especially when the other 3 left handers (Nash, Kunitz, Marleau) I'm not sold on so having another top end left handed player could be very useful on the powerplay. They aren't separated by much if at all and I think Duchene is the better winger which is why I think he was and should have been chosen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
With Carter, MSL, Perry, Sharp, Bergeron as right handed players I would prefer Duchene at LW over Giroux at LW especially when the other 3 left handers (Nash, Kunitz, Marleau) I'm not sold on so having another top end left handed player could be very useful on the powerplay. They aren't separated by much if at all and I think Duchene is the better winger which is why I think he was and should have been chosen.

Bergeron is a centre, and MSL is left-handed. I don't know if the decision ought to have come down the Giroux vs. Duchene, though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Bergeron is a centre, and MSL is left-handed. I don't know if the decision ought to have come down the Giroux vs. Duchene, though.

Your right the team canada website is wrong :laugh:

Bergeron has been a winger both games him being a center matters as much as Giroux being a center both would have played wing.

I agree it shouldn't be Giroux vs Duchene but Duchene's spot shouldn't be questioned imo.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Your right the team canada website is wrong :laugh:

Bergeron has been a winger both games him being a center matters as much as Giroux being a center both would have played wing.

I agree it shouldn't be Giroux vs Duchene but Duchene's spot shouldn't be questioned imo.

Really? I was of the opinion that the Benn-Bergeron-Tavares line was set up with Tavares playing wing. It would be an odd decision otherwise, given Bergeron's defensive prowess.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Really? I was of the opinion that the Benn-Bergeron-Tavares line was set up with Tavares playing wing. It would be an odd decision otherwise, given Bergeron's defensive prowess.

That's not a line anymore. Pretty sure it's Toews-Bergeron-Carter now.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I believe Bergeron took some draws but Tavares was listed at center to start both and I thought he played center watching both. (I have been up since 3 each morning so it is entirely possible Bergeron switched and I am wrong but I don't think so).

Game 1
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443494

Game 2
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1603961

Either way I think the choice was Nash vs Giroux, I think they chose wrong but Team Canada loves Nash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad