Tennis: Australian Open 2024

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
At the same time, Medvedev is ranked higher, has gotten over the big hurdle already of winning his first slam, and is generally a lot more experienced of a player. I agree that Sinner is probably in better form. Yet, Medvedev is also in very good form. Taking out Hurkacz and then Zverev proved that.

You could really make an argument for either. I don’t think there’s a clear favorite. Everyone was talking about Sinner beating Djokovic of the two semis, and that’s understandable why it’s more than just the quality of the opponent on the other side of the net that he beat. He beat a dominant figure at arguably his best tournament. I think though that this match has no clear favorite, even if some will try to make Sinner into a huge favorite for reasons that I’m not sure are necessarily a positive.
Sinner is a clear favorite IMO. He's been on absolute fire since the USO loss to Zverev while Medvedev's play has been uneven, there's nobody playing better than Sinner the last 4 months.

You can never count out Medvedev on hard courts because he plays the type of game that can frustrate anybody but Sinner just seems destined to win this slam. Sinner isn't a huge favorite but he's the favorite for a reason. The one thing in Medvedev's favor is experience, he's done this before while Sinner hasn't plus there's always the chance of a letdown factor after beating Djokovic but Sinner seems laser focused mentally. Should be interesting either way, complete contrast of styles clashing.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I bet the cunning mind of Medvedev is just counting the ways that he can find to upset Sinner's newfound sense of calm and equilibrium.

I don't think Daniil can go five sets, four tops. But who knows for sure with this guy. Just such a fun match up, though--let the best man win.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think I can watch this live tonight as my sleep schedule has become quite a mess already. I'm happy with whoever wins it and hope it's the beginning of younger players becoming more confident and pushing through.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First Australian Open without a member of the Big Three in it since 2005. Mindboggling.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Hoping for Sinner, but I don't think the old warhorse Medvedev will fold easily. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a five-setter.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Standing much closer to the baseline to return serve, Daniil gets the early break for 2-1.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Brilliant opening set from Medvedev, very offensive-minded, serving superbly and keeping points short. Not much energy expended either.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As I stated yesterday (and it was really stating the obvious), the nerves have been the biggest factor so far for Sinner's first grand slam final. Like they always are.
Mevedev plays agressively because he knows Sinner will be under pressure.
Sinner's arm is tense, his legs are less dynamic and a double break set is in the pocket for Medvedev.

Now will Sinner throw it all in desperate times or will he try to do too much to come back?

As I said, Medvedev clear favourite.

Oct 18, 2006
Those easy break points Medveded is missing could be a turning point if Sinner wins that game.
Easy? Sinner played pretty phenomenal tennis on those BP’s. Medvedev played them as well as he could have.

Turning into a good final now. Medvedev’s level has been incredible. His angles, ability to change direction and redirect is something else. I’m in awe.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
3-1 in the second for Daniil as Sinner is doing nothing at all to disrupt Medvedev's dominance. Jannik is surviving, but that is just about it,

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Easy? Sinner played pretty phenomenal tennis on those BP’s. Medvedev played them as well as he could have.

Turning into a good final now. Medvedev’s level has been incredible. His angles, ability to change direction and redirect is something else. I’m in awe.
Really not. Medvedev had some really easy choices and he made the wrong one every time.

Oct 18, 2006
Really poor drop shot and Med gets the break in the second. Trouble for Jannik. Looks lost for ideas.

Really not. Medvedev had some really easy choices and he made the wrong one every time.
We’ll agree to disagree there. I do agree he stuffed up one smash but was top notch defence but outside of that unsure what else he could’ve done.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Damn, Medvedev holds his serves easily, and Sinner struggles every time. Looks very much like a 3—0 match at the moment.

Reactions: kihei

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Really poor drop shot and Med gets the break in the second. Trouble for Jannik. Looks lost for ideas.

We’ll agree to disagree there. I do agree he stuffed up one smash but was top notch defence but outside of that unsure what else he could’ve done.
The smash was probably the only point I don't blame him ;)
But Sinner made some poor drop shots and Medvedev kept on not finishing the play by playing the ball on the wrong side.

Anyway, double break, will be quite the comeback if Sinner wins it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Jannick's backhand is in disarray, he can't hold serve, and Daniil goes up 5-1 in the second.

Sinner gets a break back, though; he needs a momentum shift in the worst way but it likely won't be enough to save the set.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sinner a bit more dyanmic and gets a break back.
If he plays with nothing to lose, then he could be dangerous.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just me or Medvedev improved his net play significantly?
He's been very efficient.
Over the last few years, you see traditionnal baseline players go to the net more to finish points because players run and defend so well. Nadal has developped a strong net play for example.

Reactions: Filppula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad