Tennis: Australian Open 2023

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
We are sure not seeing perfect tennis today from either player.

5-all as Nole blows a 5-1 lead with 24 unforced errors so far.

At 5-6, 30-love, Paul chokes with four straight unforced errors and loses the set (19 unforced errors from him in total).

2nd set: Thanks to Nole's still consistent depth, Paul is not getting to the net hardly at all, three times in total in the first set.....Immediately 3 zip Nole, but only because Paul is pissing away opportunities galore....Now 5-love as Nole settles into his familiar groove finally....6-1 with some great first serving from Novak, and, in general, much better play from him, too.

3rd set: for the third consecutive set, Paul is broken in his first service game, 1-love. Nole's thigh hasn't been an issue, though I doubt a fourth set would be a welcome occurence.....Nole in cruise control takes the set and the match 6-2.

At 35, Djokovic is serving better than he ever did. Absolutely brutal performance from Paul.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
How can you not see that he shouldn't be held responsible for his dad?
Of course, guilt by association is unfair. But this sure looks like a public relations snafu to me. Dear old dad stayed home and watched the semifinal match on television tonight. Where do you think that suggestion might have come from?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hoping for a Rybakina win and she is off to a good start, breaking Sabalenka from love-40, 2-1.

Sabalenka breaks for 4-all but can't consolidate thanks to a pair of nervous double faults. She is so close to conquering her demons, but the first set goes to Rybakina.

In her recent matches, Sabalenka at majors is 6-0 after losing the first set. One would think that should inspire confidence.

2nd set: Sabalenka by far the more aggressive, more threatening player in that set. Excellent tennis from her, 6-3, forcing Rybakina into a largely defensive mode.

3rd set: At least Rybakina made Aryna serve it out. Given Sabalenka's nerve history, getting to serve first may be a significant advantage for Elena.

Sabalenka takes the title 6-4. Man, did she deserve that. Great final and gutsy play from Aryna. Along with Andy/Kokkinakis, the match of the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filppula

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pre-tourney I'll bet @kihei picked all 4 finalists correctly. I just wish he knew what my avatar is. ;)
Didn't pick the women's side. But let's look at my last three predicted tournaments on the men's side in terms of finalists:

US Open: Alcaraz over Fritz (Alcaraz beat Ruud)
Paris: Djokovic over Rune (Rune beat Djokovic)
Australia: Djokovic over Tsitsipas (both in finals)

I'd say that's not too shabby. Ms Meow take note.

As far as your avatar is concerned: I won't even bother to comment. Picture me just responding with a steely stare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm not really a Sabalenka fan. But I was really impressed by her composure today. Whether a fan or not, it is really nice to see someone conquer their demons and be rewarded for it with a GS championship. Major props to her.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... I'd say that's not too shabby. Ms Meow take note. As far as your avatar is concerned: I won't even bother to comment. Picture me just responding with a steely stare.
Dang, you used to be unlucky in your picks. I added two bolds to your post where I like them. ;) @kihei @MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Didn't pick the women's side. But let's look at my last three predicted tournaments on the men's side in terms of finalists:

US Open: Alcaraz over Fritz (Alcaraz beat Ruud)
Paris: Djokovic over Rune (Rune beat Djokovic)
Australia: Djokovic over Tsitsipas (both in finals)

I'd say that's not too shabby. Ms Meow take note.

As far as your avatar is concerned: I won't even bother to comment. Picture me just responding with a steely stare.
'Tis noted!

• Love
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just when it looks like Tsitsipas is temperamentally ready to win a GS, he has to confront a mercilessly dominant Djokovic. Nole can exploit not only Stef's weaknesses, especially on the backhand, he can undermine his strengths (good luck, Stefanos, depending on all those plus one forehands you like to hit). Nole in four sets.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First set to Nole 6-3. I would say he is following his game plan perfectly right now, exploiting Tsitsipas' backhand in all kinds of ways and never letting take control of many points. All that being said, though he is serving brilliantly, Nole isn't exactly flowing out there yet--he looks a little tight in spots. No taped thigh tonight incidentally.

2nd set: Ah, this match is now heating up. Stef raises the stakes and Nole responds with fine defensive play. Now the battle seems joined. 4-3 on serve...... Tighter, tenser tennis. Stefanos is doing some damage with his groundies, but can't quite turn the corner. Nole wins the breaker.

3rd set: Stef starts the set by breaking Nole...and Nole puts on the pressure and breaks right back, 1-1.

Since the second set, Tsitsipas' backhand has held up very well....another breaker, Nole runs out to a 5-0 lead and then holds on for dear life to clinch the set and the match 7-5. He's the best ever.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: otown and Filppula

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Novak is not going to pass the torch yet! Still a cut above and seems to have more tennis in him.
An incredible athlete and seemed to take on the role of not being a fan favourite at the AO well!
Time for the next gen to step up though!

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Can't believe Novak won (and convincingly too) on a partially torn hamstring. This guy's just built different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad