Tennis: Australian Open 2023

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So it turns out that Nole doesn't really need the Gumby-like stretching ability--it's just, like, some wonderful added bonus, the cherry on top of his game. Without it, he can still beat everybody in the field.

Oct 18, 2006
Sublime tennis from Novak. And from a recovery perspective, couldn’t have asked for more. Amazing ball striking and a stress free match, both mentally and physically. And in his on court interview, he said he, “Didn’t feel anything today”.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The men's side feels very anticlimactic today. Nole seems an absolute lock.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Shelton or Paul is gonna trouble Nole more than Rublev I think. Neither is gonna win but would not be surprised if they forced him 5 sets.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
She did say in the post-match presser that she felt the pressure, and that she had been playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Let's see how the rest of this year pans out for her, particularly as she has 4 WTA 1000 titles and the French Open to 'defend' within the next 5 months.

I think RG is a foregone conclusion for her most years..her game just is too good on that surface. She can effectively neutralize someone like Sabalenka/Rybakina on clay and her 2nd serve is insanely hard to attack, especially if its dry and mild outside since it'll kick very high. I am more interested to see if she can still clean up on slow hard courts like Indian Wells and Miami

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Quarterfinal picks

Khachanov over Korda: 51% certainty
Tsitsipas over Lehecka: 80% certainty
Paul over Shelton: 67% certainty
Nole over Rublev: 98% certainty

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rybakina with a nice, straight set win over Ostapenko. Elena is playing at least as well at this stage of the tournament as she did during her championship run at Wimbledon last year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Khachanov wins the first two sets. Korda struggling with a wrist that needed to be taped in the second set and with his frequent Achilles Heel, a forehand that can go south for long periods. Karen, though, is playing nice steady, intelligent tennis, so a major comeback by Seb seems highly unlikely.

3rd set: the wrist seems to have really scuppered Korda's chances but Khachanov is playing very well and making sure he is taking advantage of the situation. At 3-love, Seb calls it a day. Disappointing turn of events in what was a very tight match for one set.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Azarenka, turning back the clock, clobbers Pegula 4 and 1.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas up two sets over Lehecka. Jiri is playing very well, pressuring Stef's backhand and drawing some errors off that wing. But Tsitsipas is playing with real poise and command, and I would be surprised if this goes more than three sets.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Khachanov wins the first two sets. Korda struggling with a wrist that needed to be taped in the second set and with his frequent Achilles Heel, a forehand that can go south for long periods. Karen, though, is playing nice steady, intelligent tennis, so a major comeback by Seb seems highly unlikely.

3rd set: the wrist seems to have really scuppered Korda's chances but Khachanov is playing very well and making sure he is taking advantage of the situation. At 3-love, Seb calls it a day. Disappointing turn of events in what was a very tight match for one set.
That sucks. I'm missing a lot of tennis lately but I was hoping he would go further.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
An uncomplicated match just got complicated as Shelton takes the third set 7-5 to extend the proceedings. He reminds me a little of Shapo, version 2.0, if Shapo had a two-handed backhand. Power forehand and big serve but a real work in progress, raw as hell. Not really having fun watching this match what with short points (1 to 4 shots) dominating all other points by a 2-1 margin.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The competitive matches have seriously been lacking the past few days.

Would be nice to have at least one semi on each side be good.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Well, doubt that is gonna be the Novak semi. :)

In general, subtract Andy and this has been a dull Slam.

Reactions: 17futurecap

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Yeah pretty awful women's AND men's QFs...the men's matchups being lopsided sort of shocked me more....then again who would have seen Pliskova and Pegula going out in 2...I would have guessed if both did lose they'd have gone 3

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Wrong thread intentionally, because imho it's big news. @kihei
I'll just cut and paste my response from the other thread:

Absolutely fabulous idea for Wimbledon.

Only thing that would be better would be if doubles matches were reduced to a single set or, better, best two of three games to be played somewhere in the Scottish Highlands with results conferred to the general public exclusively by elderly carrier pigeons.

Reactions: Beau Knows

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I think Sabalenka/Rybakina would be a great final, but part of me is cheering for a Vika win tonight as a throw back the clock run for her.

Her last Grand Slam win was 10 years ago at this tournament, so I’ll pull for her, but won’t be upset if we get the two faves setting up a final with the two players who are probably in the best form.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Going with the obvious choices, the players I picked to get to the finals in the first place, Stef and Nole.

Hard to imagine Paul taking a set from Djokovic, but Tommy is a good volleyer,, so that will at least be a different wrinkle for Nole to deal with.

Khachanov has become a very steady player. I like Tsitsipas to win this as he has never looked so together in a slam before, but an upset wouldn't be all that surprising.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
But Stef fails to serve it out in the third set and Khachanov suddenly looks full of energy.

.....and Tsitsipas can't serve out the breaker either. A masterful, commanding, one-sided match is suddenly headed to an unexpected fourth set.

Damn, I could have used the sleep between matches.

4th set: Stef recovers quickly, running out to a 3-love lead in ten minutes and cruising from there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad