Australian Ice Hockey League

A_Mack17

Nov 22, 2004
Outback, Australia
well i just got back form the game. It was a really good game with the Canberra Knights and the Adelaide Avalanche tieing 2-2. The Avalanche dominated the first period scoring 2 goals and having a third dissallowed. The Knights came out hard in the 2nd period and controled the play only to hit the post on numerous occasions. The Avalanche also had another goal dissallowed. In the third the Knights were again dominant and scored in the first 5 minutes of the period to set up an exciting finish. With 8 minutes remaining a Knights player scored a neat wrap around goal to tie it, much to the excitment of the crowd. Both teams then had good scoring chances but were unable to convert them. In OT Steve McKenna had a golden chance to win it in a goal mouth scramble but was denied in spectacular fashion by the Knights goalie and it ended 2-2.

Now onto Steve McKenna. How big is this guy!!! :eek: He had a solid game but you could tell he was a bit rusty. It also seemed like he was holding back a lot. He didnt play much in the first period but he racked up the ice time during the rest of the game, he must've been on for atleast 4 and a half minutes in OT!! In OT he was used to screen the goalie every time the Avalanche were attacking. Overall he had a pretty decent game, didnt make any mistakes.

Make sure you tell us how he played when you guys see him.

knittingonskates

Apr 8, 2005
Qld, Australia
Well I"m back ... sorry got sick but went and saw my first AIHL! games on the weekend...

The Brisbane Bluetongues beat the Newcastle north stars (both team i follow) in two very very close games...

The stars looked strong in the second but after a dodgy goal the team had a minor collapse and ended up loosing in OT.

Matt Ezzy their goalie, played Junior... b in canada.. for the welland candians and the london nationals... He was hammered during the game stood up to it really well. He was also the AUstralian goalkeeper.

The standings as of the 9th of may so exluding the weekends games are...

AIHL Standings as of 9 May 2005
GP W L T OTW OTL Pts GF GA GD

Adelaide Avalanche 5 4 0 0 0 1 13 22 15 +7

Melbourne Ice 7 3 3 0 1 0 11 23 16 +7

Newcastle Northstars 5 3 1 0 0 1 9 20 12 +8

Canberra Knights 5 3 2 0 0 0 9 26 22 +4

Sydney Bears 7 2 4 0 1 0 8 25 25 0

Brisbane Blue Tongues 4 2 1 1 0 0 7 28 18 +10

West Sydney Ice Dogs 7 2 4 1 0 0 7 22 35 -13

Central Coast Blue Haven Rhinos 4 0 4 0 0 0 0 4 27 -23

Avery4Byng*

clefty said:
Adrian Esposito of the Bears has played Jr B in Edmonton (Edmonton Royals and Beaumont Chiefs) and Jr. A in Ontario (Georgetown Raiders).

I actually was down in Australia acouple years ago playing some hockey witha team from Canada for a month and stayed with Adriane when we were in Sydney...One of the better players i saw in the country while i was there

pbc37

Jun 11, 2008
I was curious if anyone knew the level of play in Australia comparative to Canada. I have a friend in the WHL (20 years old) and a couple friends who play Junior A (both 19) that were interested in going somewhere overseas to play hockey for the expreience. All have 1 year left on their contracts and were looking to join a league in the pring/summer of 2011. If players of this caliber were able to play in this league what type of compensation would they recieve? Room and board? Travel expenses? Would getting a job be relatively easy for these Canadians so they could work while playing hockey? Thanks in advance for any help.

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
I was curious if anyone knew the level of play in Australia comparative to Canada. I have a friend in the WHL (20 years old) and a couple friends who play Junior A (both 19) that were interested in going somewhere overseas to play hockey for the expreience. All have 1 year left on their contracts and were looking to join a league in the pring/summer of 2011. If players of this caliber were able to play in this league what type of compensation would they recieve? Room and board? Travel expenses? Would getting a job be relatively easy for these Canadians so they could work while playing hockey? Thanks in advance for any help.

in australia, probably no room and board, probably low/if any pay.

Please post your question on forums.internationalhockey.net for a more thorough answer to your question..

Doogee

Cammy!
May 30, 2009
Melbourne

It's not bad quality.

Melbourne Ice recently acquired Jason Baclig, who was playing Nijmegen Devils in the Netherlands. And he is absolutely ripping the league to pieces, you can find clips of the league on youtube.

Last edited:

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
The Bears had a great win on Sunday. Boucher played like a beast in net, Stransky scored a pair, and Luako had a wicked shorty. Great win boys!!

Doogee

Cammy!
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
Been away from the forum for a while, but the AIHL finals have been completed.

Melbourne Ice were crowned the new AIHL Champions, first time in 28 years the Goodall cup has comeback to Victoria.

IceChamps.jpg

Doogee

Cammy!
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
2011 season kicked off on Thursday, with a Melbourne derby to get things going.

Melbourne Mustangs 4-8 Melbourne Ice.

Jason Baclig scored 5 for the Ice, looks as though he is in for another big season.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
I've been to every mustangs game, i always sit in the far right...the only guy with a mustangs jersey in that section haha when melbourne ice and mustangs play the icehouse hits capacity and people have to stand. but usually you can find a seat.

HookeyPookey*

I think there will be an Australian in the NHL one day, its one of the fastest growing sports in Aus, but it is very small. Its just hard to get people out there because no one really knows about ice hockey, i mean we dont get any on T.V and also its really expensive if you want to start playing.

Australia is a very sporting country. With the Olympics we come like 5th and we only have just over 20 million people here!

No one gives two shytes about the soccer and it managed to get a fox contract be good if somehow Melb ice games were on fox.

AFL dominates of course, which I dont mind as I love both. I will be attending my first Melb Ice game soon, dunno when because I have to go alone, you're not wrong when you say no one knows about ice hockey lol...

Anyone know, in the Melbourne West area where i could learn to skate or maybe play? Bit uncoordinated would love to learn how to skate though.

Climate doesnt help here, regularly snows in areas of the USA and Canada, Europe too, Ive seen snow twice in my life. Game is good and can grow though, Nashville a warm climate isnt it?

My initial spark of intest was from the things it has in common with AFL... fast, physical, exciting, suspense etc and it grew from there, as opposed to something like basketball which is alot more stop start and less free flowing.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Perth should be getting their AIHL for next season, will probably get season tickets, only problem is where they are playing is about 30 mins drive from my house, so don't know how many of the games I could go to.

Pretty stoked none the less. Go Thunder! :yo:

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
What do you guys think about Nathan Walker? Any chance of making the NHL?

Next season will be important for him; if he plays well in a good league (possibly CHL), he'll surely least get drafted. And when you've been drafted, you're a lot closer to being a NHL player.

He's not too big guy, so some teams will get scared of that. Being from Australia might do good for his stock, as he could be the face of some kind of NHL's Australian conquest. :sarcasm:

bottsy

Jun 21, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I must say i was surprised to see a thread on here about the AIHL. I only joined HF after Winnipeg got a team again.

Family has been involved with the Adelaide team since the beginning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad