Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Next Friday at Detroit. Carlo Colo predicted it could happen before next game but Dregs shot it down. AM on Leaf Lunch in the noon hour.
They won't practice before the next game? That won't be good.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
To be honest, I'd love to see Nylander get a run with JT. JT is an elite passer and great at playing that role. While Matthews is also a very strong passer, he loves to shoot and it is his best skill. Until last night, Nylander and Kadri rarely clicked, so I'm not as worried as I was, but I would like to see it. It would allow Nylander to play a more balanced offensive role than he has with Matthews, which may allow him to take the next step in his development. Although, I could also see why JT might not want Nylander as a line-mate and would prefer someone who works hard like Kapanen if he isn't going to play with Marner.
I have thought a Hyman-JT-Nylander line could make sense while Marner is playing with Matthews. Adds a very dynamic offensive player with JT which he I'm sure has become a little accustomed too. Would have to be Hyman on that line though, need his size and work ethic/forecheck

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Once we get the AM and MM deals which now as being reported might be 5 or 6 year max deal that would put lots of overlap with either Nylander or JT contracts ending..

Lots of players potentially hitting UFA status at similar times.

This is really than this year + whatever these contract end in as our Window of Opportunity to hoist the Cup as there would be more uncertainty thereafter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There are games as soon as Monday so guessing an announcement can happen any time.
I thought the Leafs were on their break which is why they don't play until Friday?
I don't think they are allowed to practice until their break is over.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Once we get the AM and MM deals which now as being reported might be 5 or 6 year max deal that would put lots of overlap with either Nylander or JT contracts ending..

Lots of players potentially hitting UFA status at similar times.

This is really than this year + whatever these contract end in as our Window of Opportunity to hoist the Cup as there would be more uncertainty thereafter.

Jt’s 11 million will be off the books in six years, and that money alone will go a long way into paying for the big 3’s ufa raises.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Jt’s 11 million will be off the books in six years, and that money alone will go a long way into paying for the big 3’s ufa raises.

A 6 year deal would be ideal for AM and the Leafs as it would lineup with contract expiry.

I wonder if this what Leaf management is thinking.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I keep hearing that if matthews signs for 6 instead of 8 years it will lower his AAV.( they said that on leafs' lunch)...how does that work?
Whether it's 6 for 66 or 8 for 88..what's the diff?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I keep hearing that if matthews signs for 6 instead of 8 years it will lower his AAV.( they said that on leafs' lunch)...how does that work?

Look at it year by year. Matthews will be making quite a bit less his rfa years. But then the last three years of an 8 year deal will be ufa years, and he'll make a lot more money per year on those years. But cap hit doesn't work year by year. So the more ufa years in a contract, the higher the aav will be.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
you pay more to buy UFA years, standard knowledge.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
1) The cap is higher now and will be even higher next season
2) Matthews is better than Eichel

I don’t think Matthews is better than Eichel at all. I used too, but Eichel has elevated his game and Matthews has regressed this year. Matthews first 15 games were amazing. Since then he’s looked really bad. Looks like he’s not even trying sometimes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don’t think Matthews is better than Eichel at all. I used too, but Eichel has elevated his game and Matthews has regressed this year. Matthews first 15 games were amazing. Since then he’s looked really bad. Looks like he’s not even trying sometimes.
crazy how even though Eichel has elevated his game and Matthews has regressed, Matthews is still having the better season

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

I’m ok with the Eichel contract plus inflation (because the cap increased). As long as it’s also 8 years in length.

Matthews and Eichel have very similar elc years, including injuries. (Matthews sightly higher ppg).

Even this year they have about the same ppg.

The Eichel contract is more than fair. Anything more, and our GM isn’t as good as Buffalos. It’s that simple.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Matthews isn't significantly better than Eichel to the point where I consider that kind of difference to be worthwhile. Cap can go up, great. I am still not paying that amount if I am the Leafs.

11M x8 yrs. That is 8 more million dollars then Jack Eichel, pretty damn fair. Other teams like the Jets, Preds and Bolts are relevant every year because 1. Good management 2. Their players take a bit less and care about being a great team.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Look at it year by year. Matthews will be making quite a bit less his rfa years. But then the last three years of an 8 year deal will be ufa years, and he'll make a lot more money per year on those years. But cap hit doesn't work year by year. So the more ufa years in a contract, the higher the aav will be.
Ok thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad