Value of: Auston Matthews

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
This is BS. He isn't even off his ELC yet and not only that, people who post this nonsense ignore his great series against the Caps the year before.

that is why I said not this year.

he has been injured again.

he was not very good last year against the bruins.

those are the most recent facts that determine worth.

see what happens this year in the playoffs and get him signed.

that is when you can get a realistic value of his worth.

until then I do not see any team coughing up the kind of package most fans want

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
You have to be kidding me.

You tell me something:

Player 1) Back to Back Art Ross Champion, On pace for 125 points on a garbage team, offense has been linearly increasing since his 1st season, hailed as the next Crosby, has been considered generational since he was 15. Is universally recognized as the best player in the league for the past 3 years.

Player 2) Great player who is considered to be a top 10 center. Plays for Toronto. Has yet to break 70 points.

Please pick the generational player. Oh wait thats right, you only read the bolded part.[/QUOTE)

Best player 5v5 since entering league, dominates when not injured, ZERO pp time first two years as he was being developed PROPERLY not having C thrown on him. Yup I take the six foot three hands and brain like lemieux body of beliveau.

Hell with Marner we may have the best player of the 2015 draft .suck it hf!!!!!

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
You have to be kidding me.

You tell me something:

Player 1) Back to Back Art Ross Champion, On pace for 125 points on a garbage team, offense has been linearly increasing since his 1st season, hailed as the next Crosby, has been considered generational since he was 15. Is universally recognized as the best player in the league for the past 3 years.

Player 2) Great player who is considered to be a top 10 center. Plays for Toronto. Has yet to break 70 points.

Please pick the generational player. Oh wait thats right, you only read the bolded part.
I take McDavid over Matthews, but Auston will go down as the best goal scorer of his generation.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
So you think the Avs would offer Makar + Ottawa 1st + Jost + Girard.

So, a former 4th overall pick you has done nothing but increase his stock since being drafted, and projects as a future top pairing Defender in the NHL. Ottawa's 1st round pick, which is currently projected to be 1st overall, with a 50% chance of at least being Top 3, and Sam Girard who is currently the Avs best LHD and playing on the Top pairing?

Yeah, there's not a sweet ****ing chance in hell the Avs offer that package up for Matthews and his $13M it would take to sign him just to be our 2C.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, good to see certain Leafs fans still point to that "Point/60" argument when it comes to Matthews. Always good for a laugh to see that continually brought up.
There's no way in hell that leafs would accept so don't worry.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I take McDavid over Matthews, but Auston will go down as the best goal scorer of his generation.

This may be true IF he stays healthy. He has run into injuries. Also, are you including Ovechkin in that generation? They both play in the NHL right now. Ovi is the best pure goal scorer of his generation. Matthews has a long way to go before he can claim to be better than Ovechkin.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
This may be true IF he stays healthy. He has run into injuries. Also, are you including Ovechkin in that generation? They both play in the NHL right now. Ovi is the best pure goal scorer of his generation. Matthews has a long way to go before he can claim to be better than Ovechkin.
I would consider them different generations. Ovechkin may not be in the NHL when Matthews is in his prime.

What is interesting, though, is that both Matthews and Laine both score at a higher /60 rate(all situations), than Ovechkin. Laine is actually 1st overall by a hair. Looking strictly at 5-on-5, Matthews is in the lead with OV further back.(Skinner, Boeser, Laine, and Ardvidson are between them- among guys who have 100+ games. If you reduce your game-cap to include this year's full-time rookies, then Joseph, Petterssen, and Milano also draw in)

But you're right, injuries are concerning, and what's more concerning is how many top youngsters are getting injured nowadays.

97and294ever

Jan 8, 2019
Toronto has plenty of cap space for him. He wouldn't go to them, the thing that might happen is he signs an offer sheet for that much money.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
But the Leafs still hold their right of first refusal. In this hypothetical scenario, if an offer sheet comes in that they feel they can't afford, they'll still match it and then trade him for a better return than four 1sts.

Sure.

But you gotta consider, when talking trade, and this is not saying Matthews isn't worth 4x1st or 15M a year or what ever.

Lets assume someone offersheets Matthews the maximum allowed per CBA, this year being 15.9M per year.

Very few teams can afford any player at 15.9M a year.
So trading a reasonably signed Matthews (even at 12.5M/year) will not give you the same trade value as Matthews at 15.9M.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs would have to make up their mind if and when they saw an offer sheet. That's a mighty big "if".

Until then, there's no upside to trading Matthews.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Sure.

But you gotta consider, when talking trade, and this is not saying Matthews isn't worth 4x1st or 15M a year or what ever.

Lets assume someone offersheets Matthews the maximum allowed per CBA, this year being 15.9M per year.

Very few teams can afford any player at 15.9M a year.
So trading a reasonably signed Matthews (even at 12.5M/year) will not give you the same trade value as Matthews at 15.9M.
If Arizona signed Matthews to a $15.9 x 7 contract, I'm not sure the Leafs match because they could conceivably get four first-overall picks, which might do it.

Matthews' salary would debilitate the Coyotes and they would be a pretty good shot for repeated lottery picks.

Still, I seriously doubt that Arizona has the wherewithal to come up with an offer that Matthews would actually sign, and that there is any other team with few enough brains to try a max offer either.

However, it would be interesting.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So you think the Avs would offer Makar + Ottawa 1st + Jost + Girard.

So, a former 4th overall pick you has done nothing but increase his stock since being drafted, and projects as a future top pairing Defender in the NHL. Ottawa's 1st round pick, which is currently projected to be 1st overall, with a 50% chance of at least being Top 3, and Sam Girard who is currently the Avs best LHD and playing on the Top pairing?

Yeah, there's not a sweet ****ing chance in hell the Avs offer that package up for Matthews and his $13M it would take to sign him just to be our 2C.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, good to see certain Leafs fans still point to that "Point/60" argument when it comes to Matthews. Always good for a laugh to see that continually brought up.

It seems like every poster on this site has a hill to die on and yours is Makar.

Reactions: BenShapiro

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If Arizona signed Matthews to a $15.9 x 7 contract, I'm not sure the Leafs match because they could conceivably get four first-overall picks, which might do it.

Matthews' salary would debilitate the Coyotes and they would be a pretty good shot for repeated lottery picks.

Still, I seriously doubt that Arizona has the wherewithal to come up with an offer that Matthews would actually sign, and that there is any other team with few enough brains to try a max offer either.

However, it would be interesting.

People just look at the four picks as compensation. The other thing the Leafs get is cap space. Let's say the Leafs have allotted 12m for Matthews, the Leaf can spend 12m on other players.
Hockey value wise, Matthews isn't worth more than 12.5m McDavid, and next highest paid player will be Doughty at 11m. Seems insane to me that folks think Matthews is worth so much as a hockey player when you look at comparables.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
When will these threads stop. Fans just wanting to have other fan bases kiss their butt about one of their best players. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad