Value of: Auston Matthews

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just curious here, without saying "he's not for sale", let's ignore that it's unlikely he is moved.

Let's say that he comes to the Leafs and says I want 13M and will not sign for less. The team cannot afford that much money, and honestly, no one should be making more than McDavid right now.

We've heard on here before that Arizona potentially would offer up to league max on an offer sheet, so I don't think the salary demand is outrageous, but it would certainly guarantee the Leafs never win a cup with all that money tied up. Leafs already have JT as a #1 C going forward and Kadri is a fine #2 C.

So assuming that you have the potential, at the time of this deal after the season, 22 year old franchise center available, what do you offer?

Ideally the package should be future heavy with at least 1 or two established pieces. Think OEL + Keller + 2 firsts type of return.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
From Habs during off-season:

- Danault
- Petry
- Suzuki
- 1st 2020
- 1st 2021

or

4 1st round picks (offer sheet style)

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
lol. It's a fun exercise. The probability of him being moved is very very very low. But still interesting to see what kind of return he may get.

Fair enough. I remember when he was about to be drafted and debating what i would trade him for. I said to Phoenix for Strome, Domi and a first. That would be worse than the Tom Kurvers trade in hindsight.

Reactions: 7even

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
That would get easily topped.
An offer sheet says hello. OP says Leafs cannot afford Matthews at 13m. Offer sheet comes in, Toronto will get 4 first rounders for him - my offer is better than that, considering Petry alone is worth a 1st + very good prospect, Suzuki is worth a 1st, Danault is worth a 1st. And 2 1sts are added in.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
An offer sheet says hello. OP says Leafs cannot afford Matthews at 13m. Offer sheet comes in, Toronto will get 4 first rounders for him - my offer is better than that.

Yeah, and then 20 other franchises come in after, and beat your offer.

As a side note, I yearn for the days when offer sheets aren’t discussed ad nauseum as a player acquisition tool. It very rarely happens, and isn’t worth discussing.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
quantity is there, quality isn't.

Poehling would have to be in any deal.
Switch Danault for Poehling then.

I understand the quality isn't on par with Matthews - he's one of the best players in the league, but if the Leafs cannot afford him, they still get a top pairing RHD, Poehling/Danault (-potential for Poehling- top 6 2-way center), Suzuki (potential top 6 winger/center), and 2 1st round picks, which IMO is better than 4 consecutive 1st round picks.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Yeah, and then 20 other franchises come in after, and beat your offer.

As a side note, I yearn for the days when offer sheets aren’t discussed ad nauseum as a player acquisition tool. It very rarely happens, and isn’t worth discussing.
I'm not breaking my team just to acquire 1 player. I gave my offer, you can give yours too.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Tyler Seguin, Esa Lindell, 2 1sts

Or

Tyler Seguin, John Klingberg, 1st round pick or a prospect of your choice

For

Matthews + Nylander

I probably wouldn't do it just cause it would hurt the Stars in the end but why not throw it out there

Reactions: HavocWreaker

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
lol. It's a fun exercise. The probability of him being moved is very very very low. But still interesting to see what kind of return he may get.
I can't think of a massive trade in recent history where HF has been even close to the actual return. It just turns into a "my teams prospects are better than your teams prospects" pissing contest and has no real bearing on what Auston Matthews would return for real. I'd say pretty much every decent prospect for every team in the NHL is overvalued as a whole on these forums. Potential is usually valued way higher than actual NHL pedigree, and that alone would tell you this is the wrong place to look for realistic trade expectations.

But it is fun, so f***it. Mathews + Marner for McDavid.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Tyler Seguin, Esa Lindell, 2 1sts

Or

Tyler Seguin, John Klingberg, 1st round pick or a prospect of your choice

For

Matthews + Nylander

I probably wouldn't do it just cause it would hurt the Stars in the end but why not throw it out there
Are the two trades supposed to be equal?

Don't think Klingberg is worth Lindell + 1st

The second offer is definitely worth considering though.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If Toronto doesn't jump on this, then wow... Just wow.
Yeah I think its a very fair deal. I wouldn't offer it if Matthews would get more than 11.5.

They could play Aho as an elite 2C, Pesce to shore up their top pair, and 2 1sts to boot.

I think we'd do it because we need an upper echelon forward, and we have 1 extra RHD (Pesce would be my last choice to go, but I don't think Toronto would go for Faulk/Hamilton).

DualThreat23

Nov 28, 2018
NEVER going to happen (a trade) but I'll bite for his hometown Coyotes. When you factor in age, skill level, being a C, and the obvious awareness of the massive hard-on this franchise has for him, I'm thinking (and maybe Toronto attaches a middling piece plus a mid to low pick):

-Clayton Keller
-Nick Merkley
-Pierre-Olivier Joseph
-Kyle Capobianco
-2019 1st
-2020 1st
-2021 3rd

Matthews is an elite young player at a premium position who is in high demand from this franchise...anything less than this (completely hypothetical) would be a colossal miscalculation from Dubas. I think Dubas would ask for the moon and this trade would probably gut the Yotes future, but compare this to what it would cost an MLB team to acquire an elite player in his prime or heading into his prime (Trout or Betts or Lindor).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad