Auston Matthews Scoring Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Why do we even have a hockey season?

The league should just award the Matthews Cup to the Toronto Matthews of the Matthews division. The undisputed best team with the undisputed best player in the Matthews Hockey League. A lock for the Matthews Hall of Fame featuring Matthews.

You're right; you should stop watching hockey. Maybe it will give you less stuff to be whiny about.

Reactions: King Clancy

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Matthews is a great player.

The content of this thread is ridiculous. 50 pages of arguing if a player who hasn't ever been in the top 5 in scoring is Generational. Don't see how that is worth ridicule?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The content of this thread is ridiculous. 50 pages of arguing if a player who hasn't ever been in the top 5 in scoring is Generational. Don't see how that is worth ridicule?

He has played 1 year. Crosby and macdavid weren’t ever top 5 in scoring after 1 year and were “generational”.

Also he was second in goals last year. Neither Crosby or mcdavid. (I don’t even think ovy) were 2nd in goals as rookies.

Whoops

Reactions: TDK88

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
He has played 1 year. Crosby and macdavid weren’t ever top 5 in scoring after 1 year and were “generational”.

Also he was second in goals last year. Neither Crosby or mcdavid. (I don’t even think ovy) were 2nd in goals as rookies.

Whoops

Crosby was 6th, with 102 points, one point out of 4th on a team that missed the playoffs.

McDavid was hurt his rookie season. First full season and he won the Art Ross and was in a race with Crosby all year for top spot.

Matthews finished outside of the top 20 in scoring his rookie year and is currently, despite the hype train going full steam ahead, 5th in scoring having played one or two more games than everyone close behind him.

You clearly don't know what the word "Generational" implies. Hint, it doesn't mean "Great but not the best".

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Crosby was 6th, with 102 points, one point out of 4th on a team that missed the playoffs.

McDavid was hurt his rookie season. First full season and he won the Art Ross and was in a race with Crosby all year for top spot.

Matthews finished outside of the top 20 in scoring his rookie year and is currently, despite the hype train going full steam ahead, 5th in scoring having played one or two more games then everyone close behind him.

You clearly don't know what the word "Generational" implies. Hint, it doesn't mean "Great but not the best".

Which generational player was top 2 in goals as a rookie.

Which generational player brought their team from last place to the playoffs in their first year???

I don’t even care about the term generational..... but if you are going to make a post with the criteria being top 5 rookie scoring as criteria. . the last 2 generational players probably should have done it

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Matthews, Crosby and McDavid aren't generational. McDavid might be and Crobsy is an absolutely an elite franchise center who barring injuries could have been but he's not up there with Gretzky and Lemieux.

You're not generational after 1-2 seasons.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Which generational player was top 2 in goals as a rookie.

Which generational player brought their team from last place to the playoffs in their first year???

I don’t even care about the term generational..... but if you are going to make a post with the criteria being top 5 rookie scoring as criteria. . the last 2 generational players probably should have done it

It is funny that leafs fans were saying (still are) last years success was all Matthews and now that they are playing bad there are million excuses why they are bad. I'm not saying Matthews is not playing well or anything, just that there is more than one player on a hockey team and it wasn't all him last year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It is funny that leafs fans were saying (still are) last years success was all Matthews and now that they are playing bad there are million excuses why they are bad. I'm not saying Matthews is not playing well or anything, just that there is more than one player on a hockey team and it wasn't all him last year.

Well no. It’s not. But he was the leader and by far the best player on a team that went from last place to playoffs.

Go back and look at which first picks led their team in scoring and to the playoffs in their D1 year???

From last to playoffs????

I will wait

Reactions: Gurry

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

Matthews finished outside of the top 20 in scoring his rookie year and is currently, despite the hype train going full steam ahead, 5th in scoring having played one or two more games than everyone close behind him.

Matthews was in the Top 20 for scoring his rookie year. Try lying harder next time.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Looks like Matthews is injured. Game time decision for yesterday’s game and questionable for tomorrow.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge

Hahaha! The Leafs have a better record than last season at the same time. Matthews is definitely the difference maker. Generational? Hmm... I'd rather he doesn't get branded with that label. He has enough pressure being placed on him as the Leafs' franchise player and heralded Messiah.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Any idea what it could be? Injury or sickness?

Has he been shooting weaker or is one leg slower than the other etc etc?
I think it was in the Kings or Blues game, but he got bumped by someone near the net and it looked awkward. He even retaliated with a little slash and looked mad. I think that's when it happened, and it's probably something like a pulled groin or arm injury.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017

This. Lol. Dont worry about him. Some people think good players are "generational " let them think it..

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

These threads are a mess, you’re right... but look at why? Your post is a perfect example - “50 pages arguing if a player whose never been a top 5 scorer is generational” .... Yes, a few pre teens argued something they heard on sportsnet... But, I can assure you the majority of Leafs/Matthews fans don’t give a damn about the title. That’s a misinterpretation by you that you’ll carry on and ruin other reasonable discussion with. You’re critical of the mess it’s become, yet you’re helping make it?

I’d also suggest you disregard those type of bold statements, especially those that provide no reasoning or support. Stuff like that is looking for attention. Ignore it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Any idea what it could be? Injury or sickness?

Has he been shooting weaker or is one leg slower than the other etc etc?
I don't know what it is. They're just calling it general soreness.

He looks less explosive and a lot weaker on the puck imo. I don't think he trusts his shot that much either since he's looking for the pass more than I think he would otherwise. A example would be when he was on a 2 on 0 with Hyman and he passed to the scrub rather than shot

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is a great talent but cmon are people trying to say he is the best player in the league? He is the new Toews in terms of overrated
I like Toews, always been a fan... but Matthews is on another level.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
How dare you even question that? That is blasphemy. We'll be seeing that miraculous save on highlight reels for years to come!

[mod] heaven forbid someone other than McDavid be talked about in a positive manner. Oiler fans really need to get over the fact that Matthews being a great player has nothing to do with McDavid. Yes we know it is upsetting when someone says Matthews does something better than McDavid. We know it is sacrilege to suggest Matthews could rival him. We know his success is killing you which just boggles the mind. [mod]

My advice is get over it, enjoy the player, come to terms with the fact the biggest hockey market has a special player they would like to talk about sometimes too without mantra chants of "McDavid is better than Crosby". Most importantly pray that Matthews never out scores McDavid because none of you will know what happened, too busy bashing the player and not watching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
[mod] heaven forbid someone other than McDavid be talked about in a positive manner. Oiler fans really need to get over the fact that Matthews being a great player has nothing to do with McDavid. Yes we know it is upsetting when someone says Matthews does something better than McDavid. We know it is sacrilege to suggest Matthews could rival him. We know his success is killing you which just boggles the mind. [mod]

My advice is get over it, enjoy the player, come to terms with the fact the biggest hockey market has a special player they would like to talk about sometimes too without mantra chants of "McDavid is better than Crosby". Most importantly pray that Matthews never out scores McDavid because none of you will know what happened, too busy bashing the player and not watching.
You're projecting and I don't bash Matthews. I have complimented him on multiple occasions and I watch him play. I have absolutely nothing against the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Best most complete player ever. Babs should put him in goal and on D sometimes. This guy can do it all.

Good. I wouldn't play him in G or on D but I'm glad that you see what I'm saying. McDavid will get there one day too maybe (I wouldn't hold my breath).

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Did you also find it crazy when people labelled McDavid or Crosby as generational types before they even step on the ice in the NHL?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Auston Matthews disappears seven minutes into the morning skate and a shudder of anxiety ripples through the centre of the hockey universe.

Above is Rosie DiManno reporting Matthews leaving practice early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad