Auston Matthews Scoring Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Nice knee-jerk response there my man. Thoroughly enjoyed!

On a serious note, no. Oiler fans never got that delusional.
Is this a joke? oiler fans are the most delusional. God forbid if anyone dares to try to compare another player to McDavid.
for goodness sake your own picture is comparing McDavid to Jesus...:laugh:;)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is this a joke? oiler fans are the most delusional. God forbid if anyone dares to try to compare another player to McDavid.
for goodness sake your own picture is comparing McDavid to Jesus...:laugh:;)

Honestly, I highly doubt you'll find a shred of evidence supporting an Oiler fan who says McDavid over Gretz.

The Great One became The Great One wearing the Oilers sweater.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Jesus. With the way you're littering this thread with garbage you'd think your golden boy Eichel and the Sabres were doing something other than sucking horribly right now.

Watch the replay again and check your eyes and salt levels.

The Vegas player actually pushes the puck after it gets behind Andersen. Matthews doesn't play it with his stick and is quick enough to kick it out before it crosses the line.

If you watch closely a few times you can tell he purposely saved it. Anyway it's far from the only goal that would've gone in if he wasn't on the ice.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Was the puck actually going in? Looks more like the puck just hit his skate before he even moved it.

Watch again, and watch closely. He's moves it exactly as it's about to hit his foot. Looks like it may have just hit the post anyway, but whatever, could've been in or out.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Nice knee-jerk response there my man. Thoroughly enjoyed!

On a serious note, no. Oiler fans never got that delusional.

*Wrongfully generalizes all Leafs fans*

*Doesn't like when all Oilers fans are wrongfully generalized*

Welcome to Hypocrisy 101, folks.

Reactions: 1specter

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
If he had a game like Barzal's that'd be it. He'd be the greatest of all time, better than Gretzky and Lemieux AINEC!
Watch the last handful of videos posted. He’s down below the goal line to recover/ensure possession/turn the play around. You won’t find many better 3rd d men who break up more plays below the dots. Nothing that’ll show up in any stat column, just winning plays he consistently makes, all over the ice. “Bu..but I don’t see a noticeable difference in their defensive game?” :laugh:

The ‘worst d core eva lolz’ almost always looks great with 34 on the ice, and they’re seldom getting scored on or even held in their zone. Weird, especially when you look at the contrast between him and every other Leaf player.

Even the JVR goal - down below the goal line to start the play. Takes it 200 feet, drives the net, Leafs score.

No knee jerk, no talking about McDavid being benched, none of that. Matthews’ game is captivating, people like to discuss it...

Last edited by a moderator:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Was the puck actually going in? Looks more like the puck just hit his skate before he even moved it.
He disrupted a play. He came down low and broke up a scoring chance. Whether he meant to move his skate or not is irrelevant, it was a result of his defensive work that put him in position to effect the play.

When a goalie is in position and the puck hits him - is it luck, or was he in good position to make that happen? You put yourself in good position to allow these things to happen.

Matthews arrives at the right time to these type of plays all over the ice. He’s incredible. When you see it happen consistently, it’s not just luck.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I take it you missed the McDavid is Greztky thread that got deleted?
Was probably a mock thread that got deleted super quick. So far I haven't witnessed any Oiler fans over rate McDavid to the extreme like Leaf fans have been doing for weeks with Matthews in this one.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Was probably a mock thread that got deleted super quick. So far I haven't witnessed any Oiler fans over rate McDavid to the extreme like Leaf fans have been doing for weeks with Matthews in this one.

Matthews is a better more complete player than McDavid. McDavid is better offensively. Can you accept that fact? Because if you can't, then you have no right to complain about delusional leafs fans.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Matthews is a better more complete player than McDavid. McDavid is better offensively. Can you accept that fact? Because if you can't, then you have no right to complain about delusional leafs fans.
Best most complete player ever. Babs should put him in goal and on D sometimes. This guy can do it all.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017

Who’s overrating him? I think the consensus is that he’s a top 5-10 player with the potential to be 1-2 with McDavid in the near future.

I think that’s pretty sane.

Reactions: TDK88

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Why do we even have a hockey season?

The league should just award the Matthews Cup to the Toronto Matthews of the Matthews division. The undisputed best team with the undisputed best player in the Matthews Hockey League. A lock for the Matthews Hall of Fame featuring Matthews.

Reactions: Future GOAT

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Best most complete player ever. Babs should put him in goal and on D sometimes. This guy can do it all.
Insecurity is fueled by doubt. If Oiler fans really believed McDavid was a tier above, they wouldn’t feel the need to defend it or put Matthews down. This isn’t a guess, psychology is a science.

Put a Matt Martin vs Connor McDavid and nobody has anything to say, it’s silly. Put Matthews vs McDavid and it has an 85+page thread because there’s real debate to be had.

Again, most aren’t speaking about the fact the Oilers are sputtering and their captain is being benched... They don’t care. Matthews is captivating. The unique details in his game are captivating... People want to talk about it.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He disrupted a play. He came down low and broke up a scoring chance. Whether he meant to move his skate or not is irrelevant, it was a result of his defensive work that put him in position to effect the play.

When a goalie is in position and the puck hits him - is it luck, or was he in good position to make that happen? You put yourself in good position to allow these things to happen.

Matthews arrives at the right time to these type of plays all over the ice. He’s incredible. When you see it happen consistently, it’s not just luck.
I'm not at all implying that it was luck. I just didn't see it as a highlight reel worthy play in terms of skill or anything, especially when there doesn't seem to be conclusive evidence that the puck was going in.

He was in the right place (which is what mattered) but it's not like he made some heroic effort to bail out his goalie and prevent a sure goal. I think the puck hits his skate regardless of him flicking his heel.

Reactions: Future GOAT

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm not at all implying that it was luck. I just didn't see it as a highlight reel worthy play in terms of skill or anything, especially when there doesn't seem to be conclusive evidence that the puck was going in.

He was in the right place (which is what mattered) but it's not like he made some heroic effort to bail out his goalie and prevent a sure goal. I think the puck hits his skate regardless of him flicking his heel.
It wasn’t meant for the highlight reel though? It’s for the people who don’t watch the games (there’s a lot) to see some of the subtle things he does every shift.

A lot of people are here playing two truths and one lie;
1. I watch Matthews closely (ice, not boxscore)
2. I understand the intricacies of this game.
3. I don’t see a ‘noticable’ difference in their play without the puck.

......all 3 of those can’t be true, so it’s just another bit of supporting evidence.

I agree with you, I think it hit his skate before he fully reacted.. but the point is that he makes these plays all the time. He ‘effects the play’ every shift, more than almost anyone I’ve ever seen. He’s so unique in the details... A lot of which aren’t spotted by the average fan watching the broadcast. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with posting them to support what’s being said?

Reactions: Gurry and TDK88

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Insecurity is fueled by doubt. If Oiler fans really believed McDavid was a tier above, they wouldn’t feel the need to defend it or put Matthews down. This isn’t a guess, psychology is a science.

Put a Matt Martin vs Connor McDavid and nobody has anything to say, it’s silly. Put Matthews vs McDavid and it has an 85+page thread because there’s real debate to be had.

Again, most aren’t speaking about the fact the Oilers are sputtering and their captain is being benched... They don’t care. Matthews is captivating. The unique details in his game are captivating... People want to talk about it.

I was lightheartedly having fun with Leaf fans about their over reactions and over exaggerations in regards to Matthews. I didn't put Matthews down, and I didn't bring up McDavid. Somehow you felt the need to bring him up.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I was lightheartedly having fun with Leaf fans about their over reactions and over exaggerations in regards to Matthews. I didn't bring up McDavid, somehow you felt the need to bring him up.
By insulting their intelligence and mocking them? Wow, you’re hilarious.

I won’t even argue with you, your contribution to this site speaks for itself. No intelligent insight, no objectivity... ‘like’ every post that slights the Leafs or their players... Your agenda is clear, people aren’t stupid.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
By insulting their intelligence and mocking them? Wow, you’re hilarious.

I won’t even argue with you, your contribution to this site speaks for itself. No intelligent insight, no objectivity... ‘like’ every post that slights the Leafs or their players... Your agenda is clear, people aren’t stupid.

I think you're getting a bit carried away now. Lets leave it at that my friend.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think you're getting a bit carried away now. Lets leave it at that my friend.
Oh I’ve gone way over the top. I’ve done it with a handful of posters who muddy these discussions. Most have either disappeared, or taken a more mature and intelligent approach. Hopefully you pick one or the other.

....and I’m not your friend, I’m Quixote. Don Quixote. ;)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's crazy for people can not put aside their dislike for another team to appreciate good players. I dislike the Leafs, but Matthews is a great player and fun to watch.
Unfortunately most people lack your maturity, see below
Why do we even have a hockey season?

The league should just award the Matthews Cup to the Toronto Matthews of the Matthews division. The undisputed best team with the undisputed best player in the Matthews Hockey League. A lock for the Matthews Hall of Fame featuring Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad