Auston Matthews Scoring Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So Matthews should get 14 mil per season then, sweet it is settled.
Seeing as how he's a better player than McDavid and McDavid got 12.5, Matthews will probably ask for atleast that much. Hopefully he realises that taking less money will give the team more flexibility. Also, Toronto isn't Edmonton (it's 1000000x better living) so that probably will save Leafs a few dollars.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Seeing as how he's a better player than McDavid and McDavid got 12.5, Matthews will probably ask for atleast that much. Hopefully he realises that taking less money will give the team more flexibility. Also, Toronto isn't Edmonton (it's 1000000x better living) so that probably will save Leafs a few dollars.

[mod]

McDavid: 140GP 51G 113A 164PTS --- PPG 1.17

Matthews: 90GP 50G 38A 88PTS --- PPG 0.98

Last edited by a moderator:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
[mod]

So by your logic, since points are the end all be all of contracts and player value, why did both Kane and Toews sign the exact same contract at the exact same time?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So by your logic, since points are the end all be all of contracts and player value, why did both Kane and Toews sign the exact same contract at the exact same time?

Easy.

Toews is a C.

Kane is a Winger.

Both Mcdavid and Matthews are C.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
[mod]

That almost looks like cherry picking. Let's compare them this year, no need to use McDavid's extra year to make him look better and Matthews worse. Give you a hint, McDavid is scoring at .02 points per game more than Matthews.

I wonder why you would not just compare this years stats to show McDavid is so vastly superior? Sample size is too small of course. I know, I know only McDavid can be good before he played a game and only he can be projected to improve.

Of course people who watch the games can see that this year Matthews is playing at a comparable level. McDavid still has another gear so I would expect the gap to increase a bit. It sure would be fun though if he outscored McDavid, I wonder how many Oiler fans would start bashing McDavid or flee HF entirely?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
That almost looks like cherry picking. Let's compare them this year, no need to use McDavid's extra year to make him look better and Matthews worse. Give you a hint, McDavid is scoring at .02 points per game more than Matthews.

I wonder why you would not just compare this years stats to show McDavid is so vastly superior? Sample size is too small of course. I know, I know only McDavid can be good before he played a game and only he can be projected to improve.

Of course people who watch the games can see that this year Matthews is playing at a comparable level. McDavid still has another gear so I would expect the gap to increase a bit. It sure would be fun though if he outscored McDavid, I wonder how many Oiler fans would start bashing McDavid or flee HF entirely?

Because using a 15 games sample size, 20% on a hockey season is stupid?

Cherry picking is exactly what you're doing. Looking at 10% of the games both these guys played and judging then entirely on that.

BTW I'm not an Oilers fan, neither a Leafs fan so I'm unbiased compared to you.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You're goood.

Why is Toews getting paid more than Crosby, Kopitar, Malkin?

Timing of contract/ Inflation of the cap. Toews signed after all of them. Kopitar is quite comparable.

Crosby and Malkin would be making more had they signed at the same time.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Timing of contract/ Inflation of the cap. Toews signed after all of them. Kopitar is quite comparable.

Crosby and Malkin would be making more had they signed at the same time.
You're right!

How about..

Why did get Crosby a 12 year $104 million dollar deal at a cap hit of $8.7 million a year (12% of his teams cap at the time, 11.5% now ) while McDavid got 8 years $100 million at a cap hit of $12.5 million a year (17% of his teams cap now)?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You're right!

How about..

Why did get Crosby a 12 year $104 million dollar deal at a cap hit of $8.7 million a year (12% of his teams cap) while McDavid got 8 years $100 million at a cap hit of $12.5 million a year (17% of his teams cap)?

That's an interesting one.

Did you compare Crosby's % of cap hit based on the cap hit when the contract was signed or based on today's cap?

Because the cap changed quite a bit.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
That's an interesting one.

Did you compare Crosby's % of cap hit based on the cap hit when the contract was signed or based on today's cap?

Because the cap changed quite a bit.

The cap has increased by $3 million since the day Crosby signed his contract.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

You continually repeating this nonsense doesn't make it true.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Because using a 15 games sample size, 20% on a hockey season is stupid?

Cherry picking is exactly what you're doing. Looking at 10% of the games both these guys played and judging then entirely on that.

BTW I'm not an Oilers fan, neither a Leafs fan so I'm unbiased compared to you.

LOL cherry picking is not saying "this sample size is too small" it's the opposite...:rolleyes:

The reality is all your larger sample size does is weigh down Matthews improvement against his rookie season and prop up McDavid's slump. If you are going to compare them, body of work is not the way to go, it's not an accurate illustration and it screams agenda. All it tell us is McDavid has had a longer career.

This is the problem, you have to actually watch them play and wait until this season plays out before measuring the gap between them. McDavid should still end up ahead offensively but the goals scored against might tell a different story.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Its actually .2 which is roughly 20% more points.........

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Seems like we need a break here given how it's somehow become about Leafs vs Oilers.

We can have a new Matthews thread later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad