Auston Matthews out for min 4 weeks with shoulder injury (Mod warning #70)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Beside the fact this sucks for Auston Matthews, it also sucks for the league and the fans everywhere. Losing one of the premiere superstars for a long period is bad for entertainment, and hearing that he has had similar injuries in the past is concerning. I remember how most of us thought Crosby's career was about to derail after his injuries. I can also remember how amazing careers like Mario's and Bobby Orr's were smeared by injuries. I really do hope Matthews recovers from this and does not go on having more shoulder injuries.

P.S.: I was hoping for a 60 goals season this year!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What does one hockey game have to do with the likely fact that Matthews is going to receive a huge payday despite never hitting 70 points?

Because we also have a player in line for a big payday despite putting up much less.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Actually Laine has a 70 point season. Nice try though

And he's on pace for 31 points this year. Matthews will probably be there by Christmas even with his injury. Please stop it, you are embarrassing yourself and our fan base.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He played 82 games in his rookie season and only missed 20 games last year. Much too soon to label him a band-aid boy. He will get paid (12+ mil) regardless of this injury.

And he won’t deserve it either.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Just a reminder that there are a ton of star players who had tons of injury history in their younger playing days and eventually figured it all out. Barkov was one, Crosby another. Even Malkin went almost a decade without playing a full season.

So this doesn't mean he is somehow a bad player. It just really sucks :/

With how easily his left shoulder is separating, it'll take some serious surgery to fix that and the outlook isn't good. That hit was completely routine shoulder-to-shoulder contact. If he's only out 4 weeks, it means they're trying to rehab it instead, which means it'll still separate easily again.

Shoulders are not like other injuries. They only become easier to injure and they take a long time to recover from.

My prediction: he'll have surgery in the summer and have a slow start to next season. Whether or not his career is affected beyond that is unclear.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Leafs will be fine without Matthews for a month.
I missed the Marleau/Kadri/Marner trio. I wouldn't doubt that Marleau gets on track as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad