Auston Matthews or David Pastrnak: Who has the better chance at winning the Rocket Richard Trophy?

Matthews or Pastrnak?

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I’m glad neutral stalwarts like Dekes for Days is voting neutral Matthews.
I am voting based on the facts, not any team affiliation.

The "fan of" option is just a way for people to ignore votes by Leaf fans by considering them biased. If people want to keep putting it, I will keep ignoring it.

There are quite a few "neutral" voters that are nothing of the sort.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Leaf fan voting for Matthews. But only reason why I am doing so is because I think the pairing of Marner and Matthews has incredibly deadly potential. Marner is a magician like with the puck and passes he pulls off and will draw a lot of attention himself leaving Auston open more often then in the past. But Pasta is an amazing player himself and I get more and more impressed with him after each Bruins game I watch.

Reactions: Arzak and NinjaKick

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think the coaching change and getting Marner will help Matthews win this race. It's time Ovie passed him the torch but we can't count him or Pastrnak out just yet.

Blows my mind a bit that Marner is 22nd in points overall despite missing 10 games. 101 point pace right now. I didn't think he had a shot to hit his total last year with the injury and the very slow start.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
Just because of how hot Matthews is vs how cold Pasta (and by cold I mean he's not on a shooting percentage bender anymore) I'm gonna vote for Matthews. Don't get me wrong, Pasta could go on another goal scoring run and stay ahead of Matthews, I just don't see it happening. He'll hit 50, but Matthews will score 54 and win the Rocket.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just because of how hot Matthews is vs how cold Pasta (and by cold I mean he's not on a shooting percentage bender anymore) I'm gonna vote for Matthews. Don't get me wrong, Pasta could go on another goal scoring run and stay ahead of Matthews, I just don't see it happening. He'll hit 50, but Matthews will score 54 and win the Rocket.
Pastrnak has scored in 3 straight games and in 4 of his last 5. Not exactly cold.

Reactions: MajorLeafsFan

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Pasta had his hot streak early, Matthews is having his now. They are very similar goal scorers - they both go on crazy goal scoring streaks then seriously cool off for a while. Pasta has scored goals at slightly higher rate since the beginning of last season. Matthews obviously scored at a consistently high rate since entering the league.

Personally I think Ovi wins so it's a moot point but I don't think there's really any way to know between these two. Barring injuries they should both end the season with 50+ goals which is amazing. I'll go with Pasta since he's been keeping a lead on Matthews all season (even if it's just one goal) but wouldn't be at all surprised if Matthews overtakes him.

Reactions: BlueBaron

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Blows my mind a bit that Marner is 22nd in points overall despite missing 10 games. 101 point pace right now. I didn't think he had a shot to hit his total last year with the injury and the very slow start.
What is exciting to me is that only Tavares and Hyman have probably hit their peak in our top 6.

Reactions: Merrrlin

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I am voting based on the facts, not any team affiliation.

The "fan of" option is just a way for people to ignore votes by Leaf fans by considering them biased. If people want to keep putting it, I will keep ignoring it.

There are quite a few "neutral" voters that are nothing of the sort.

You cant be serious right, your the biggest leafs homer, come on man. :laugh:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
A lot of Leaf fans do this on HF unfortunately. It really show's the type of character they have.
Yes, let's look at the wide array of totally "neutral" fans in the "neutral fan voting for Pastrnak" option. :laugh:

Polls like these are just ways for anti-Leaf posters to stack the vote while excluding Leaf fans.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I am voting for Pastrnak. He plays on the better line and that Bruins PP is more unstoppable from a Pastrnak scoring perspective as well the Bruins get more PP opportunities.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Now that Matthews has been blessed with Marner on his wing he's got to be the front runner for the Rocket, barring injury of course.

Reactions: Leafidelity

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Yes, let's look at the wide array of totally "neutral" fans in the "neutral fan voting for Pastrnak" option. :laugh:

Polls like these are just ways for anti-Leaf posters to stack the vote while excluding Leaf fans.

There are 0 Bruins fan voting "neutral for Pastrnak" yet theres 3 leaf fans voting "neutral for Matthews"

Facts don't care about your feelings

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
This one was really tough. Both are incredible players.

Ultimately voted Matthews because I feel the Leafs have a better offensive impact overall than Boston to suggest Matthews' goal scoring is more sustainable than Pasta's.

Not that Pasta doesn't deserve his due credit, but Boston hasn't been consistently great at generating offense as a team at 5v5 compared to Toronto. Power play obviously has a big effect on goal scoring as well, but hey, even the best power plays go dry for their share of stretches, and if you're not consistently creating good offensive chances at even strength, you don't score as often.

As a result of the difference between the two teams at even strength, Matthews has a 2.64 expected goals for per 60 minutes and Pasta has a 2.24 xGF p/60. I say Matthews.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There are 0 Bruins fan voting "neutral for Pastrnak" yet theres 3 leaf fans voting "neutral for Matthews"

Facts don't care about your feelings
After your huge outing of 3 Leaf fans who voted as neutral I hope you will consider putting your journalistic integrity into the equally worthy subject of Western Canadian fans who always vote anti Leaf. Thanks for exposing those Monsters and their heinous crimes.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad