Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't like the idea of him sitting out for 10 days without playing a game.

If they wanted him to rest, it might be better to skip the Detroit game and play one the TB or Florida.

He is hot right now and taking 7-10 days off could kill that.

I definitely don’t like this load management culture. If a guy hits 70, and us roaring to go exiting the regular season the last thing you want is to give him an extended break and let the mind wander.

What is the stat about teams that win in a 7 game series vs rested teams that sweep? Usually the team hot off a battle keep rolling but the load managed, rested teams fall out of rhythm.

Gotta cut this load management and limited innings mentality out of hockey. It’s not how this sport functions and certainly doesn’t normally apply to guys in their 20s.

Like you say, give him a beat between the last regular season games. You don’t want him taking a victory lap in his mentality or his routine.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
50 even strength goals is crazy
It's not crazy, it's ... Matthews. :)

A while back, @Evilhomer said Matthews reminds him of Bossy and with each goal, I agree with this more and more. The quick release and perfect placement of that wrist shot so reminds me of Bossy. So good!

He's been so good, hard to see him not carrying this over to the playoffs. Now if we could only somehow get the PP fixed, we might be able to make some noise for a change.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's not crazy, it's ... Matthews. :)

A while back, @Evilhomer said Matthews reminds him of Bossy and with each goal, I agree with this more and more. The quick release and perfect placement of that wrist shot so reminds me of Bossy. So good!

He's been so good, hard to see him not carrying this over to the playoffs. Now if we could only somehow get the PP fixed, we might be able to make some noise for a change.
It's the seeing-eye goals for me. Identical to Bossy. Shots that mostly look harmless, that other guys take 100 of and don't score, end up in the net. I think it's simply a God-given skill.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's the seeing-eye goals for me. Identical to Bossy. Shots that mostly look harmless, that other guys take 100 of and don't score, end up in the net. I think it's simply a God-given skill.
It's definitely a lot less flashy than his old shooting style, the toe drag lasers were awesome to watch but it clearly wasn't sustainable for his wrist.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wings will be an easy out on Saturday since they're basically done after tonight. 70 @ home is coming.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Wings will be an easy out on Saturday since they're basically done after tonight. 70 @ home is coming.
Wing will be playing to make the playoffs, Auston has a better chance against the Floridas as they'll be playing half lineups and backups resting up for playoffs.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Copying from main board but this stat is absurd: if Matthews had 0 assists right now he would be leading or tied for team lead in points in Calgary, San Jose, Chicago, Columbus, Anaheim, Buffalo, Detroit, Philly, Seattle, Vegas, Washington.

Within a few points of LA, Ottawa, Winnipeg.

That’s almost half the league lol.
Yeah, but how many 2nd assists does he have? ;)

MVP.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This is why the LW grinder all those years should have been someone who could intimidate the opposition. Domi is a nice but a legit heavy weight who could pot 20-30 would be preferable.

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
See Matty!??! Him a di Top Shotta Don Dada, of di game! And Bad bwoy nah rest 'til the ques' is manifes'..!!!

Righteeeoouuuusssnessssss!!!

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is why the LW grinder all those years should have been someone who could intimidate the opposition. Domi is a nice but a legit heavy weight who could pot 20-30 would be preferable.

I've always been curious what a Matthews-Rantanen duo would look like. Not a grinder at all but two high end big guys who can score, set up plays and just be an impossible to contain duo.

Anyway, Domi has been great. He's not at the caliber of a Marner but his playmaking is a little different, crisper, less frills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad