Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Congrats to Papi , NHL’s 2nd star of the week, 3 goals 7 assists
Wow proves he does not need any help producing. And 7 assists to boot. The guy was 110th in assists and has moved up to 70+.

We need this guy to carry a plug or two so we can spread the 3 amigos amongst 3 lines because loading up one line has not worked.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wow proves he does not need any help producing. And 7 assists to boot. The guy was 110th in assists and has moved up to 70+.

We need this guy to carry a plug or two so we can spread the 3 amigos amongst 3 lines because loading up one line has not worked.
7 assists in a one week, wow! I'm guessing that's a record for Matthews. Not sure if it's because the guys he plays with now finish better than who he played with before or some other reason but whatever the reason, I'll gladly take it. Not gonna lie, the fact that Matthews always got so few assists always bothered me a bit, not a lot, but a bit. But now, 7 assists in one week, wow!

Wow, 7 assists? Is that the most assists he has had in one week?
LOL. I was literally just wondering this minute if this was a record for him.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Last 7 games since Mitch went out with his ankle sprain. 4g 8a 12p +7. Includes two games that he mailed in.

1711462563056.png

Previous 7 games with Mitch. 2g 2a -1.

Mitch was better in those 7 games. 3g 3a -1.

Shows me, Matty takes too many nights off. Can't say I blame him. Bring on the playoffs.

1711462969502.png

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Last 7 games since Mitch went out with his ankle sprain. 4g 8a 12p +7. Includes two games that he mailed in.

View attachment 841586
Previous 7 games with Mitch. 2g 2a -1.

Mitch was better in those 7 games. 3g 3a -1.

Shows me, Matty takes too many nights off. Can't say I blame him. Bring on the playoffs.

View attachment 841592
Lol.

Obviously when you don't score you mailed it in.

Amazed no one has had an 82 game point streak if they just put in the effort.

You would have to include shots, posts, crossbars, blocks, hits, etc to be able to prove he took a night off instead of saying he didn't score therefore he mailed it in

Reactions: Confucius and pdson

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lol.

You would have to include shots, posts, crossbars, blocks, hits, etc to be able to prove he took a night off instead of saying he didn't score therefore he mailed it in
Perhaps you should go back and watch some of the games. Next you are going to tell me Willie does not mail in games.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Perhaps you should go back and watch some of the games. Next you are going to tell me Willie does not mail in games.
Willie certainly mails in shifts. Bit not to the extent people think.

You have to think of it like this

1/3 of games everything works. No matter what. Legs feel great, puck follows you around, and finds ways through.

1/3 of games nothing works. Muscles won't work properly, hard not to be gassed, puck takes funny bounces.

The last 1/3 is what defines a star to superstar. You really don't have it but contribute any way you can.

Matthews being 3rd in blocked shots, 3rd in takeaways,, 1st in posts hit, 1st in hits for all scorers in top 10, shows me during the games where the puck doesn't go in, he is looking for ways to contribute.

pdson

Apr 14, 2014
Lol.

LOL exactly totally agree the expectations of some people is mind boggling

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
McDavid, considered to be the best player in the league hasn’t put a point up 8 times this year, William has went pointless in 11. I’d say William is doing very well and doesn’t mail in games, just some days players don’t have it or get the bounce just snake bit so the saying goes.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
McDavid, considered to be the best player in the league hasn’t put a point up 8 times this year, William has went pointless in 11. I’d say William is doing very well and doesn’t mail in games, just some days players don’t have it or get the bounce just snake bit so the saying goes.
Nylanders disinterest in defense at times is what most have issue with. He always seems to have interest in the offensive side of the game.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He really sold his chances at any real hart talks when he went from 55GP 52G 76P to 69GP 58G 92P

He scored 6 goals and 16 points in 14 games. Had he scored 12 goals and 21 points, he’d probably be in the running

But tbh, as long as he performs in the playoffs and we go deepI’m fine with 105ish points

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No player can do it for 82 straight games. There will be off nights and there will be nights where players are disinterested (it is normal for most people). Willie has been held scoreless in 16 games but he has been great this year. Still not worth $11.5m in my books but that is a different conversation.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nylanders disinterest in defense at times is what most have issue with. He always seems to have interest in the offensive side of the game.
I’m sure we can micro manage every single player in the league. I’ll bet nobody does what they are suppose to do 100% of the time.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He really sold his chances at any real hart talks when he went from 55GP 52G 76P to 69GP 58G 92P

He scored 6 goals and 16 points in 14 games. Had he scored 12 goals and 21 points, he’d probably be in the running

But tbh, as long as he performs in the playoffs and we go deepI’m fine with 105ish points
70 is a longshot but it is still within reach if he wants it. I think he is more concerned with playoffs than 70 goals. Not sure if that is me being naive or Matty figuring it out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I’m sure we can micro manage every single player in the league. I’ll bet nobody does what they are suppose to do 100% of the time.
Not sure I follow, you believe they all perform exactly the same?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Nobody plays 1oo%. 100% of the time. We don’t scrutinize opposition as much as we do our own.
Yes, players perform at different levels of interest, that's basically what I said.
Nylander can be prone to disinterest on the defensive side. Scrutinizing the opposition wouldn't change that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

This is why I can tolerate the off games of the other two, they play two-ways pretty consistently. Some games Nylander really needs to put more of a defensive effort in.

Reactions: ToneDog and ACC1224

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
70 is a longshot but it is still within reach if he wants it. I think he is more concerned with playoffs than 70 goals. Not sure if that is me being naive or Matty figuring it out.

I almost feel like it's better for him to fall short of it then use that as motivation somehow, like not feeling a great sense of accomplishment so to speak (I know sounds funny for someone about to score more than 65 which would be the current highest single season total of any active player) and knowing there is still serious work to be done. That said give me 70 goals and a Stanley Cup please!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is why I can tolerate the off games of the other two, they play two-ways pretty consistently. Some games Nylander really needs to put more of a defensive effort in.
I can tolerate pretty much anything from any of our star players during the regular season, just bring it in the playoffs. That's something Nylander has done pretty consistently so he's the last guy I'm concerned about at this point.

Reactions: Menzinger

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I can tolerate pretty much anything from any of our star players during the regular season, just bring it in the playoffs. That's something Nylander has done pretty consistently so he's the last guy I'm concerned about at this point.

He shows up offensively in many games, but overall he has clearly been the worst of the 3 in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah it’s pretty apparent if you look at both ends of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad