Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion "the Beauty" Edition

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Since Keefe took over or just since the start of the year? Babcock did a 50/50 split essentially on the units. Now top unit gets about 1.5 minutes of the 2 minutes.
Had guests in last night so the game was on in the background but I thought I noticed closer to 50/50 last night.
Was surprised when they changed after scoring the 5 on 3 goal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Had guests in last night so the game was on in the background but I thought I noticed closer to 50/50 last night.
Was surprised when they changed after scoring the 5 on 3 goal.

I watched here and there in between doing my job. Got home for the 3rd period. I would likely attribute the 50/50 split to the back to back we have.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
You know , I for one was probably the leader of that narrative ...
If he continues to play ( not just score ) but play the way he has in the last couple of games , then I will be the first to admit I was wrong ..
If he reverts back to a shell of what he is capable of and floats then I will say that again
But again I admit , watching him play the last two games could be the best I’ve seen him play ever ..
So engaged , skating with power and strength , fighting for the puck , passing shooting and coming back hard ...
It’s been a treat

I get as frustrated by Matthews inconsistency as anyone but I'm not going to trade him for guys that are have half his talent but try there best. It's an easy bet to count of Matthews to become more consistent, could he fail to live up to potential? Sure, but Colorado bet on MacKinnon, Buffalo bet on Eichel, it's the smart play, it's our only play, trading him for depth and good pros would be franchise destroying.

Reactions: Havoc and WTFMAN99

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I get as frustrated by Matthews inconsistency as anyone but I'm not going to trade him for guys that are have half his talent but try there best. It's an easy bet to count of Matthews to become more consistent, could he fail to live up to potential? Sure, but Colorado bet on MacKinnon, Buffalo bet on Eichel, it's the smart play, it's our only play, trading him for depth and good pros would be franchise destroying.
Oh I would never trade a player like him for depth guys , it would have to be a player like those you mentioned back
But you make great points regarding McKinnon and broken crown Jack
I think ( hope ) AM finally has realized that in this league , talent only gets you so far
He’s working hard

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

There are so few good options in terms of trades involving Matthews because you lose almost everyone of them. We're also forgetting Tavares is approaching 30, nothing behind Matthews that could replace him so we need to cut the trade Matthews talk. We're also going to need to stop the trade Marner talk, we would never get full value. They're great players.

We might run into a spot where we need to trade Nylander to shift $$ from forward to defense but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Oh I would never trade a player like him for depth guys , it would have to be a player like those you mentioned back
But you make great points regarding McKinnon and broken crown Jack
I think ( hope ) AM finally has realized that in this league , talent only gets you so far
He’s working hard

As the poster below said its impossible to win a Matthews trade. When I say depth I mean quantity for quality, ie/returning OEL, a fine player, as the best part of a package for a guy who much of our success relies on being a top 5 player. These kind of proposals were littering this place and many seemed fine with it because Matthews was slumping. Recency bias aside, he's still had more "on" nights than Tavares.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
As the poster below said its impossible to win a Matthews trade. When I say depth I mean quantity for quality, ie/returning OEL, a fine player, as the best part of a package for a guy who much of our success relies on being a top 5 player. These kind of proposals were littering this place and many seemed fine with it because Matthews was slumping. Recency bias aside, he's still had more "on" nights than Tavares.
100% agree

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
There are so few good options in terms of trades involving Matthews because you lose almost everyone of them. We're also forgetting Tavares is approaching 30, nothing behind Matthews that could replace him so we need to cut the trade Matthews talk. We're also going to need to stop the trade Marner talk, we would never get full value. They're great players.

We might run into a spot where we need to trade Nylander to shift $$ from forward to defense but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

TrAdE nYlAnDeR

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That Athletic article where he talks about working on his one timer and that it's something he still thinks he can add to his game was exciting.

Imagine this guy learns how to consistently rip one timers from the top of the circle on the PP?

If he learned one timers and brought his A game as often as other top stars he could average nearly a goal per game. Unfortunately only one of which I expect to happen.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I watched here and there in between doing my job. Got home for the 3rd period. I would likely attribute the 50/50 split to the back to back we have.
There's been a few occasions where Keefe has done the 50/50 split but he mostly plays the top unit for that extra 15-30 seconds.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I hope so man, I can definitely see him going bonkers the next little while playing inferior competition.

Time for a hat trick too. Not one since his first NHL game is just an anomaly

I think I've seen him hit more posts than any other NHL player. Especially early on in his career I remember him having tons of quality chances that he could've easily buried. With a little better luck he could've been the leading goal scorer in his rookie season.

Reactions: supermann_98

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I hate Simmons but I do believe their games dont mesh. Get Matthews the puck and let him shoot as much as he wants, Kap seems like he is tring to pad goals and doesnt have the skill to put up even 30.

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-news-rumors-matthews-kapanen-marlies-marner/

I've said this before, Kapanen wants to shoot the puck every time he gets it. That's acceptable, even the smart choice if you are the best shooter on your line. Problem is, when he's out there with Matthews, he most certainly isn't.

Reactions: goleafsgo1990

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, for a defenseman that would help make us a better team.

If the trade doesn't exist, don't trade Nylander.
Seems obvious but common sense isn't always so common.

** whats with the mixed case posts, I've seen that before. Does it have some special meaning?

Reactions: WTFMAN99

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I've said this before, Kapanen wants to shoot the puck every time he gets it. That's acceptable, even the smart choice if you are the best shooter on your line. Problem is, when he's out there with Matthews, he most certainly isn't.

I think the problem is more that he's not a great playmaker because he lacks overall vision and IQ. I see him stop up and attempt to make a nice play fairly often he's just rarely able to. He should be on the 3rd line consistently.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
He's on the same trend for lanky American super stars (Eichel) where they can out skill anyone on the ice but they don't look like they care 40% of the time. Eich has turned his defensive play and work ethic around this year. Just time in the system and time for growth as an adult. He'll be fine.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Looks like he really stole that Jack
Eichel hot streak too. Been on a tear the past three games and looks a lot hungrier than 2 weeks ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad