Fox
Q.Hughes
Hedman
Crosby
Point
Robertson
Kaprizov
This is a solid list.

If we're talking this season (I know not only that, but heavily weighting it) JT Miller should be on this list. And fairly high on it too.

Pettersson is too high.
M Tkachuk too low.

Reactions: amnesiac

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Damn about 50% of voters still see him as a Top-10 player... Is it just some Leafs fans and some hockey fans that don't update very fast or just didn't read the question properly?

Is Matthews better than all of these guys?

Jack Hughes, Nikita Kucherov, McDavid, Panarin, Miller, Pastrnak, Makar, MacKinnon, Quinn Hughes, William Nylander, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Pettersson, Bratt, Rantanen, Stützle, Hyman, Forsberg, Boeser, Fox, Bouchard, Barzal, Connor, Guentzel, Eichel, Marner, Barkov, Point, Crosby, Hedman, Jason Robertson, Kaprizov, Bedard, McAvoy, Dahlin, Tage Thompson, Matthew Tkachuk, Erik Karlsson

I think those 10 have comfortably surpassed him at this point :

McDavid, MacKinnon, Makar, Draisaitl, Jack Hughes, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Quinn Hughes, Pettersson and Fox

Many others are close or just behind

I don’t know how Pettersson has comfortably surpassed him, and he’s super close with anyone not named McDavid. He will finish with another Rocket and pile up more points as the season goes on, I’m almost certain of that. Keep in mind he finally has his wrist shot back that he was missing since the start of last season, only started seeing it again a few games ago. People are seriously kidding themselves if they don’t still think he’s a top 10 player.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
I don’t know how Pettersson has comfortably surpassed him, and he’s super close with anyone not named McDavid. He will finish with another Rocket and pile up more points as the season goes on, I’m almost certain of that. Keep in mind he finally has his wrist shot back that he was missing since the start of last season, only started seeing it again a few games ago. People are seriously kidding themselves if they don’t still think he’s a top 10 player.
Why does he only have 9 assists after 24 games? Don’t top 10 players have elite or close to elite playmaking skills to make players around them better? :huh:

Mar 26, 2010
Maybe not even top 100.

Multiple Rocket Richard winner, Hart winner, Ted Lindsay, 50 goals in 50 games… yeah.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The true Leaf fans on these boards were warning us that AM was never going to be the same goal scorer after his wrist injuries. When you take somebody’s best attribute “away” how good would they really be?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The true Leaf fans on these boards were warning us that AM was never going to be the same goal scorer after his wrist injuries. When you take somebody’s best attribute “away” how good would they really be?

Didn't you hear? His wrist shot is back! McDavid better watch out.

Keep in mind he finally has his wrist shot back that he was missing since the start of last season

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Since the start of 2022-23 (which is the recent past as is the idea of the CURRENT thread), Pettersson has 139 pts in 108 games, Matthews has 112 pts in 98 games and it's not like Pettersson was a Tavares/Scheifele defensively, he's actually a better player overall than Matthews outside of offense.

If last year was only because of injury, then why is he 19th in PPG this season? Which is a worse rank than he was last season...

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He was as good as we said he was.

But he hasn't been that good going on two years now. The drive to win just isn't there and he can't shoot it like he used to. He's probably in the mid 20's right now.

He'll have a few more great seasons where he's among the top 5, but he doesn't have the fire to be the best of the best, year in year out. Seems like his goal is to be the highest paid player in NHL history and it's mission accomplished. Dude needs an epiphany, it's wild that such an amazing talent can be so disappointing. He really was as good as we said he was, he just doesn't seem committed to that level.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Since the start of 2022-23 (which is the recent past as is the idea of the CURRENT thread), Pettersson has 139 pts in 108 games, Matthews has 112 pts in 98 games and it's not like Pettersson was a Tavares/Scheifele defensively, he's actually a better player overall than Matthews outside of offense.

If last year was only because of injury, then why is he 19th in PPG this season? Which is a worse rank than he was last season...

Petterson is a great player but he’s never done anything this awesome against Matthews and the Leafs.

But he gets an extra point every 3-4 games and both are roughly equivalent defensive players but in different ways.

McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Kucherov, Makar and…and, Sid.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
i'm one of the leaf fans who voted #1 and i'll give you my reasons: best goal scorer in league history (when pp time is taken into account), selke level defence (you know he kills penalties, right). combined, they are maybe a once in a century skill set. there is only one Austin and his name is Matthews.
You, Leafs fans, are so generally dumb so like 99% would not consider this as a sarcasm...

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Top 15 right now

McDavid
Makar
Mackinnon
Draisaitl
Kucherov
Hughes
Pastrnak
Fox
Rantanen
Hughes
Petterson
Crosby
Hedman

Matthews belongs somewhere in the bottom of that list based on the last two years of play.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I'm a Leafs fan FYI and I still have him 6. However, while I used to think Kuch/Drai/Mackinnon/Matthews were pretty interchangeable as the 2-4 best forwards in the world (Makar is the other guy I have in the top 6), I now have AM clearly as 6 and don't think there's an argument for him over the others at the moment.

He hasn't quite looked himself but is still tied for 2nd in goals. That said, I have no issues at all with people putting guys like Pasta, Pettersson, Hughes above him right now. He needs to find form or he will drop quickly.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

The injury excuse never fails with Matthews.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
i'm one of the leaf fans who voted #1 and i'll give you my reasons: best goal scorer in league history (when pp time is taken into account), selke level defence (you know he kills penalties, right). combined, they are maybe a once in a century skill set. there is only one Austin and his name is Matthews.

A worthy chuckle for today.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Matthews is a weird one. I voted top 20, but I'm not really convinced he's that low. He's a player that isn't really of concern until he's of concern. Unfortunately by then it's too late and the puck is in the net.

There's a lot of value in that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Petterson is a great player but he’s never done anything this awesome against Matthews and the Leafs.

But he gets an extra point every 3-4 games and both are roughly equivalent defensive players but in different ways.

McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Kucherov, Makar and…and, Sid.

So one play is the reply to the facts I have listed? What about this then?

So based on your list, what is the argument of Matthews STILL being better than Jack Hughes, Pastrnak, Quinn Hughes, Pettersson and Fox?

This site does not have the best track record for judging the caliber of player Matthews is.

More than 80% have voted him in the Top-15 and you don't find this fair???

How?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad