Auston Matthews current rank among NHLers

Auston Matthews is a top _ best player

• Total voters

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Getting harder and harder to consider him in the top 10. Probably just outside of it.

He's had 1 truly exceptional season in his career which is looking like more and more of an outlier by the day.
I would say 2, maybe even 3 exceptional seasons. 2021 and 2022, and you could argue 2020 was as well.

Reactions: Felidae

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Backend of top 10 is what I went with. Elite player for sure, about to be paid a bit too much.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Getting harder and harder to consider him in the top 10. Probably just outside of it.

He's had 1 truly exceptional season in his career which is looking like more and more of an outlier by the day.

Most goals since his rookie season which was seven years ago.

Alligators are ornery because they’ve got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

Edit: top-10, McDavid and 9 guys that he’s among.

Last edited:

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Most goals since his rookie season which was seven years ago.

Alligators are ornery because they’ve got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

Edit: top-10, McDavid and 9 guys that he’s among.
I notice that you made your post after he scored two goals in a game, after going multiple games without a goal...how convenient. However, it does not negate the reality that if Matthews does not score goals, he makes absolutely nobody around him better on the ice, a requisite for a top 10 player. :nod:

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
15-20 probably. Went with 15 just to give him the benefit. Combining this and last season he's 20th in points and 6th in goals. A guy like Pastrnak has 19 more goals and 40 more points over the same span. How anyone would put Matthews over Pasta is truly mesmerizing.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The consensus top 5 for a while now has been:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Kucherov
MacKinnon
Makar

Matthews was generally considered to be the next guy up right after them.

But now it's clear that:

Jack Hughes
Elias Pettersson
David Pastrnak

Have all caught up to and surpassed him.

So the highest you could possibly have Matthews in my books, would be 9th.

But there are other players fighting for that spot alongside him, like:

Adam Fox, Mikko Rantanen, Matthew Tkachuk, Artemi Panarin, Quinn Hughes, Miro Heiskanen and Brayden Point.

Is Matthews better than all of those players? Then he's top 10. Otherwise he's probably top 15.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
i've been calling him a top 5 player for a while now. Problem is "top 5" was really a group of 6, so top 6. 6 players would be:

McDavid, Makar, Drai, Matthews, Kucherov, MacKinnon (not in any order, outside of McDavid at #1).

But not sure anymore:

1. Mcdavid still top 5 (top 1), obviously
2. Makar still top 5
3. Kucherov still top 5
4. Draisaitl still top 5 (slower season start, but fantastic last few seasons and playoffs, and he likely bounces back by season's end)
5. MacKinnon - maybe still top 5 too, maybe not with a lot of other players rising
6. Matthews...not sure. Weakest season last year of these 6, weakest of the bunch so far this year. He might be dropping down.

I voted top 10. I had predicted he'd score 70 goals this season, and I still think it's possible he bounces back and does. But so far he's very streaky - too many pointless games. He needs to become more consistant again.

So top 10 - but in my opinion you only get one season of "grace period" and last year was his. If he can't bounce back to be one of the clear top 5 players by end of season, it will mean he falls back and others will have passed him (Hughes, Pastrnak, etc).

People just get used to his level of play and are bored by it. He was 5th in pts last year (3rd in ppg) and is 5th now. No reason to take him out of the top 5, the only real arguments I could see is Pasta but IMO MacK still takes it

Agreed with everything else in the post

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
probably 20th or so

it's crazy how much hype he gets for someone that even at his absolute best never once finished higher than 5th in the league in points
I'm far from a Matthews fan but this isn't fair. He had 60 goals, a Hart and 2 rockets. He was, at one time in legitimate contention for best player outside McDavid.

He's closer to 15 than 5 atm though IMO

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm far from a Matthews fan but this isn't fair. He had 60 goals, a Hart and 2 rockets. He was, at one time in legitimate contention for best player outside McDavid.

He's closer to 15 than 5 atm though IMO

He has never been in contention for best player aside from McDavid aside from Toronto driven media and fans.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d say around 15th currently.
I think it’s clear that his play a few years ago when he won the Hart was an outlier.
Goal scoring is still a really unique skill and he is one of the best so that moves him up even though his point totals aren’t great.
His defensive play has always been overrated imo. He’s above average defensively but certainly nowhere near Selke level as some were trying to say. And then his playoff performances in the key games have been really underwhelming.
Throw it all together and around 15th seems about right.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
probably 20th or so

it's crazy how much hype he gets for someone that even at his absolute best never once finished higher than 5th in the league in points

What's crazier to me is posts like this...

He has a 1st and 2nd place finish for the Lindsay... do the players just give that away for fun?

I remember when Leaf fans were telling everyone he was the best player on the planet.

Good times

The players voted him as such one year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Damn about 50% of voters still see him as a Top-10 player... Is it just some Leafs fans and some hockey fans that don't update very fast or just didn't read the question properly?

Gotta love some of these not top 10 hot takes in here

Is Matthews better than all of these guys?

Jack Hughes, Nikita Kucherov, McDavid, Panarin, Miller, Pastrnak, Makar, MacKinnon, Quinn Hughes, William Nylander, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Pettersson, Bratt, Rantanen, Stützle, Hyman, Forsberg, Boeser, Fox, Bouchard, Barzal, Connor, Guentzel, Eichel, Marner, Barkov, Point, Crosby, Hedman, Jason Robertson, Kaprizov, Bedard, McAvoy, Dahlin, Tage Thompson, Matthew Tkachuk, Erik Karlsson

I think those 10 have comfortably surpassed him at this point :

McDavid, MacKinnon, Makar, Draisaitl, Jack Hughes, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Quinn Hughes, Pettersson and Fox

Many others are close or just behind

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad