• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, i mean both, where he finished is both runner up to the trophy (one position behind the winners) and also third place on the season.
Only 20 goals more than Petterson this year, not so bad i guess.
Well I guess saying he came in third didn’t sound as good. :laugh:
If it was the Olympics he’d get a bronze. He was not the runner up.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The way I see it since Crosby actually won the award what's the point of saying he should have won it with 20 more goals instead of the 4 goals which it turned out to be.

It's like someone winning $5,000,000 in the lottery and complaining that they should have won $10,000,000 instead.
The point is because if 2nd place could have been luckier and won then first place could have also been luckier and still won.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Maybe not to you, sounds pretty great to me. The alternative is that he was the runner up, which also sounds great.

What about Matthews being the runner up for the Rocket Richard for the second time of his career upsets you?
It doesn’t upset me. It’s just wrong. He was third. I don’t see why you feel the need to exaggerate to pump up your player. He’s a very good goal scorer. Coming second and third is impressive.

Reactions: Garthinater

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The point is because if 2nd place could have been luckier and won then first place could have also been luckier and still won.
In the end Crosby still won and you seem to have a problem with me stating a fact about Matthews rookie season where he was unlucky to score in 13 games and how it could have made a difference for him winning the award.

Not you specifically but this is like those who said Patrik Laine got screwed out of winning the Calder in 2017 because of a concussion, since they were confident he would have scored in the games he ended up missing. So were those people wrong with that logic?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It doesn’t upset me. It’s just wrong. He was third. I don’t see why you feel the need to exaggerate instead of just being accurate.
He was third, and the runner up to the trophy, dont know why its so difficult for you to understand it. Its as accurate as it gets, really dont understand why a canucks fan gets so upset to see matthews do so well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was third, and the runner up to the trophy, dont know why its so difficult for you to understand it. Its as accurate as it gets, really dont understand why a canucks fan gets so upset to see matthews do so well.
Still wrong. If 20 other players scored one more goal than Matthews he would not be the runner up. He would be 21st.
If 10 people scored two more goals and 10 scored 1 more goal then he would not be the second runner up he would still be 21st. It’s not that complicated.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only difference this time as being the runner up it was only him, where as in 2017 he finished tied for 2nd in goals with Kucherov.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
In the end Crosby still won and you seem to have a problem with me stating a fact about Matthews rookie season where he was unlucky to score in 13 games and how it could have made a difference for him winning the award.

Not you specifically but this is like those who said Patrik Laine got screwed out of winning the Calder in 2017 because of a concussion, since they were confident he would have scored in the games he ended up missing. So were those people wrong with that logic?
I’ll ask one more time, why is it bad luck that he didn’t score in 13 games vs not bad luck Crosby didn’t score in more games? Also why is it luck at all and not a slump?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No, it doesn't... It's literally never been that way. If two guys are tied for 1st the next is considered 3rd.

Same way if two teams are tied for 15th, the next wouldn't make the playoffs as 16, lol.
Your comparison doesn't make any sense. The top 16 teams don't make the playoffs, it's done by division. If two players are tied for first, they're both considered first. That's what tied means. Matthews is the runner up because if he placed one spot higher he would have also tied for first and all 3 would have won the award. It's not like playoff spots even a little bit

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I’ll ask one more time, why is it bad luck that he didn’t score in 13 games vs not bad luck Crosby didn’t score in more games? Also why is it luck at all and not a slump?
I just said he was unlucky not to have scored in those 13 games since he finished 4 goals behind Crosby. I have been very consistent with that, however you seem to find something wrong with that.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I just said he was unlucky not to have scored in those 13 games since he finished 4 goals behind Crosby. I have been very consistent with that, however you seem to find something wrong with that.

Ah the typical LeafNation75 argument:

whenever MY player doesn’t do something, it’s because of bad luck.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Still wrong. If 20 other players scored one more goal than Matthews he would not be the runner up. He would be 21st.
If 10 people scored two more goals and 10 scored 1 more goal then he would not be the second runner up he would still be 21st. It’s not that complicated.

I can see that you find this very complicated, despite its simplicity.
Lets see if we can break it down for a 5 year old.

Who won: Ovechkin (1), Pastranak(1).
Who was the runner up: Matthews(3).

See how he was both third place, behind the trophy winners, and runner up for the trophy, as in finishing just behind the winner (s)?

I know its tough, but if you take a night and look it over for a while youll be able to get it.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Congrats. You’ve done it again. You’ve somehow made the last three pages about trying to rub the nose of all those Leaf Haters noses in the urine, except you can’t even do that right.

Yes, Sherlock. Matthews would be overpaid at 13.5 million over 8 years because he’s somehow making more money than the best player in the game, which Matthews isn’t close to.

Just stop it. f***. Stop acting like someone thinking your player is overpaid like it’s some grand sin on your team. Are you new to sports? Serious question.
I never said Matthews was overpaid, in fact I voted that he was paid fairly. Do I wish he signed for 6, 7 or 8 years of course I do. But regardless of the 5 years him making $11.634 AAV is not unreasonable for what he does during the game and his goal scoring abaility.

I also think had Matthews made to July 1, 2019 and became an RFA and if he signed an offer sheet from the Coyotes for 7 years and $14 million AAV as an example, the Leafs haters such as yourself would have loved to see it happen.

Let me post these links of previous threads about Matthews and an offer sheet to the Coyotes where others on here wanted it to happen.

Speculation: - Auston Matthews Offer Sheet?

Proposal: - Matthews Offer Sheet from Arizona?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Crosby also missed a number of games to start the season with a concussion suffered in practice. Bad luck offsets bad luck, not sure why that is even brought up as an argument.

Anyhow I don't hate the 5 year term but he should have come in around the same cap hit% that Stamkos did for his second contract which would have been 9.5 to 10 million.

I like the player but felt he got close to a Malkin post ELC without being in the same tier as a player as young Malkin was.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can see that you find this very complicated, despite its simplicity.
Lets see if we can break it down for a 5 year old.

Who won: Ovechkin (1), Pastranak(1).
Who was the runner up: Matthews(3).

See how he was both third place, behind the trophy winners, and runner up for the trophy, as in finishing just behind the winner (s)?

I know its tough, but if you take a night and look it over for a while youll be able to get it.
Still wrong. He was not the runner up no matter how many times you try to convince yourself. He was third. Again if 20 players finished one goal ahead of him he would not be the runner up. I can only assume that you don’t like to admit when you are wrong or you just don’t understand basic concepts. I’ll move on and leave you to it.

Reactions: Snowman

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Still wrong. He was not the runner up no matter how many times you try to convince yourself. He was third. Again if 20 players finished one goal ahead of him he would not be the runner up. I can only assume that you don’t like to admit when you are wrong or you just don’t understand basic concepts. I’ll move on and leave you to it.
Still wrong, he was the runner up to the trophy winner, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself. I can only assume you dont like to admit when youre wrong or just dont understand basic concepts. Id be happy to continue to help you understand any time you want but i imagine youre too proud.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So Matthews finished with 47 goals compared to the 48 goals which won Ovechkin and Pastrnak the Rocket Richard Award, however you claim Matthews was not the runner up? Thanks for that laugh and that's some horrible logic.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It destroyed the Leafs salary structure. Even if this COVID-19 thing never happened, and the cap kept growing, 5 years is not long enough for the cap inflation to lower the cap hit.

He was an RFA who got paid like a UFA because I assume the Leafs freaked out about the prospect of an offer sheet from Arizona. The term is the bigger issue than the cap hit. The McDavid contract would be better because at least (before COVID-19) it would have had enough term to deflate the cap hit.

Leafs are going to continue to be good, but it is going to be very difficult for them to peak with the contracts they have. They were lucky that the Sens were foolish enough to bail them out of Zaitsev.

Reactions: Garthinater

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So Matthews finished with 47 goals compared to the 48 goals which won Ovechkin and Pastrnak the Rocket Richard Award, however you claim Matthews was not the runner up? Thanks for that laugh and that's some horrible logic.
I gave you the example. If 20 people finished one goal ahead of him then you’d say he was the runner up? He’d be 21st. Not the runner up.
Cripes! What are they teaching kids in Ontario these days! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad