Auston Matthews Contract

Is Auston Matthews Overpaid?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think that he'll necessarily go to Arizona, but isn't it the slightest bit worrying he took a contract right to UFA?
McDavid, Draisaitl, Ekblad and Eichel all signed for 8 years. Even Marner did 6 which is also kinda the norm (Pasta and Barkov). Mackinnon took 7. All these guys are recent top picks who became elite.

He's stands out with his 5 year contract. I would say him resigning is just as likely as him testing the waters (impossible to know, just guessing) but I think it's a little weird (at best).

He was willing to go 8 years, but Toronto didn't want to pay him what he wanted (both before the season he signed, and then mid-season when the price went way up). 5 years was a compromise to get the cap hit down. Same deal with Marner not going full term.

I'm sure he'd like to go to Arizona, but if anything, he used Arizona to play Toronto. I don't know if there were any substantial rumors about an offer sheet, but I'm going to assume it's true, because if it's not true, than Dubas is missing a few letters to his name.

I don't think there was any loyalty with this contract to Arizona or Toronto. Which I applaud, because I think players need to take care of their business first, and their team owners business second. This was a player and his agent playing the game to perfection, and getting one of the most lucrative post-ELC deals of the cap era.

He probably asks for max after this contract is up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad