News Article: Auston Matthews - August 1st., Contract Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I don’t get those who worship at the alter of Friedman.
He gets some things right but I seriously doubt he’s kept in the loop on any negotiation that may be currently in progress or may have already occurred.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Matthews wants extension with Maple Leafs before next season

By Kyle Cushman

Auston Matthews doesn't plan on leaving the Toronto Maple Leafs.
"My intention is to be (in Toronto)," Matthews said Monday during the team's end-of-season availability, according to the Toronto Sun's Terry Koshan.
"I think I've reciprocated that before, how much I enjoy playing here and what it means to me, the organization, my teammates. … The work that we're putting in to continue to strive for that end result is extremely motivating."

Matthews said signing an extension before next season is "important" and that a potential deal "will work itself out in due time."
He signed a five-year contract with a cap hit of just over $11.6 million in February 2019. That deal is set to expire after next season, which would make Matthews an unrestricted free agent.
Colorado Avalanche star Nathan MacKinnon signed an eight-year contract extension in September that will give him the league's highest cap hit in the fall at $12.6 million.
After scoring key goals in the first round against the Tampa Bay Lightning, Matthews was unable to find the back of the net in Toronto's five-game series loss versus the Florida Panthers. He finished the postseason with five goals and 11 points after tallying 40 goals and 85 points in the regular season.
The 25-year-old said he was dealing with bumps and bruises throughout the 2022-23 campaign but noted it's his "job to push through that," per The Hockey News' David Alter.

Which is what you say to avoid being traded. He was less than a 3rd line player in the 2nd round, I want a mean junk yard dog like Tkachuk that shows up when it matters.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why are people immediately jumping to conclusions here. Even if Friedman’s speculation has merit, which it likely doesn’t, (as how would he have any clue what Matthews’ camp of his agent, himself, gf and maybe his immediate family is going to be looking for). Even IF we take that statement at face value that could mean 5 years at 12.7M which would honestly be a pretty good deal for us

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Matthews wants extension with Maple Leafs before next season

By Kyle Cushman

Auston Matthews doesn't plan on leaving the Toronto Maple Leafs.
"My intention is to be (in Toronto)," Matthews said Monday during the team's end-of-season availability, according to the Toronto Sun's Terry Koshan.
"I think I've reciprocated that before, how much I enjoy playing here and what it means to me, the organization, my teammates. … The work that we're putting in to continue to strive for that end result is extremely motivating."

Matthews said signing an extension before next season is "important" and that a potential deal "will work itself out in due time."
He signed a five-year contract with a cap hit of just over $11.6 million in February 2019. That deal is set to expire after next season, which would make Matthews an unrestricted free agent.
Colorado Avalanche star Nathan MacKinnon signed an eight-year contract extension in September that will give him the league's highest cap hit in the fall at $12.6 million.
After scoring key goals in the first round against the Tampa Bay Lightning, Matthews was unable to find the back of the net in Toronto's five-game series loss versus the Florida Panthers. He finished the postseason with five goals and 11 points after tallying 40 goals and 85 points in the regular season.
The 25-year-old said he was dealing with bumps and bruises throughout the 2022-23 campaign but noted it's his "job to push through that," per The Hockey News' David Alter.

Lol... Everyone keeps saying he's leaving to LA, or somewhere in California, and never once provided a real reason for why? Shocking!

Reactions: Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Which is what you say to avoid being traded. He was less than a 3rd line player in the 2nd round, I want a mean junk yard dog like Tkachuk that shows up when it matters.

The offense was not that and that’s very frustrating but no he wasn’t.

And Tkachuk was basically a non factor in the series after game 1

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol... Everyone keeps saying he's leaving to LA, or somewhere in California, and never once provided a real reason for why? Shocking!
They did provide a reason... he's 'Murican and he wants to play in 'Murica!

Or something dumb like that.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
We all know about the surgery from 2021.

From this year, articles about nagging hand injuries.

The hand issue has been since the start of the season... that should be obvious to anyone who has watched him. He wasn't the same shooter this year, as last. You could just see it in his shot... it just wasn't nearly as accurate, or dangerous... the 17.8% shooter of the last two years, became a 12% shooter this year.
You can tell Matthews wrist or something is acting up as he will start to take way more slapshots than wrist shots and will often end up close to the PP quarter back roll with Marner moving down the wall.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
What do you people honestly think he'll get on the open market in the summer of 2024? He's becoming the most paid player in the league regardless, because Dubas f***ed up his first contract.

He'll be offered 14/15per probably by 75% of the league.

He might be offered that by some teams, but contenders can afford the cap, and bottom dwellers won't be saved by Matthews, we learned that much - he is most effective with proper setup man.

Most of the league will offer him 12, some 13 he'll get 14 on Leafs and you'll call it a discount because the Arizona janitor allegedly offered 16 mills per.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If he wants 5 years 13million he is the one traded IMO. Set an example with him for the others.

Why? 5x13 would be a fairly solid deal. Matthews will be 27 by the time he plays the first game of his extension. Lock him up 27-31 and revisit where he’s at then. I think if anything, Matthews should want the 8 more than us. Though I’d fully sign him to either deal

Reactions: bax and js2k6

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Imagine telling people not to make more money to appease you. Next time you're at work tell them you want a pay cut.
No one's asking him to take a pay cut. Considering his playoff record, he should. All we're saying is, if he is serious about wanting to be with this team and help win a championship, he should work within the financial parameters that allow the team to bolster the weaknesses; i.e. goal and defense.

Reactions: hullsy47

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Bull poop, he doesn't plan on leaving,,,,what a pile of crapola.

What he means is if they dont insult me with a lowball offer, I might stay...but only as highest paid.
"I know I look disinterested but I am really interested in the admiration that big money shows. Look, 90m over 6 years and I promise to try to try".

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
13 x 5 I guess is where we're heading....

I'm very dismayed at his wrists, more than anything.

He didn't mention anything about his wrists but we all know something is still not right there. He mentined bumps and bruises though which are what every player deals with.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Let’s see if he’s willing to take a team friendly/winning level deal after raking the Leafs over the coals with this current one to do it.

My guess is no.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let’s see if he’s willing to take a team friendly/winning level deal after raking the Leafs over the coals with this current one to do it.

My guess is no.
He can say I want X for Y years and not signing after July 1st. Dubas gave him the hammer by giving him 11.6 for 5 years.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Eliot Friedman just reported he believes Matthews wants to sign at a medium term at highest cap hit in the league.

1684183113337.gif

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I’m sure he will sign and take Dubas to the cleaners…again
Oh for sure he will and for the love of Christ, we need a new GM in. Dubas will shake in his boots and cave when Matthews agent tells him what they want. I wouldnt pay him anything at 12 or higher, "Well then you'll lose him" So be it. Adios.

Im curious what we could get for him.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If he's following the trend of other younger players his agent does all the dealing, which means he leaves nothing on the table, bonuses based on individual performance not team success, max term and highest paid player in the league.

If I'm Dubas or whomever deals with Matthews' agent I say "Not on my watch" and start calling other GMs asking what their offer is.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No one's asking him to take a pay cut. Considering his playoff record, he should. All we're saying is, if he is serious about wanting to be with this team and help win a championship, he should work within the financial parameters that allow the team to bolster the weaknesses; i.e. goal and defense.

Our weakness is we can't score more than 2 goals in elimination games, or any of the last 7 games these playoffs.

They did provide a reason... he's 'Murican and he wants to play in 'Murica!

Or something dumb like that.

Lol touche

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, and that's all as may be, but none of that equals chronic wrist problems. Bugged him this year after surgery in September, sure. Chronic injury, no.

The wrist surgery was September 2021....

He was fine in 2021/22 after the surgery.

This season was 2022/23

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Why? 5x13 would be a fairly solid deal. Matthews will be 27 by the time he plays the first game of his extension. Lock him up 27-31 and revisit where he’s at then. I think if anything, Matthews should want the 8 more than us. Though I’d fully sign him to either deal

Because he hasn't earned a raise. He simply hasn't. These guys are being paid like top 3 players and they have been top 15. If he cared about winning he would take his current cap hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad