TSN: Auston Matthes ranked #23 among 1st overall picks in the modern era

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
https://www.tsn.ca/lemieux-tops-tsn-s-ranking-of-no-1-picks-from-modern-era-of-the-draft-1.1117349

For those who didn't watch TSN earlier tonight after their mock draft show, they did a ranking of the top 1st overall picks of the modern era since 1969 and they ranked Auston Matthews at #23. Below is the full list to see who Matthews was ahead of and who went ahead of him.

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Sidney Crosby
3) Alex Ovechkin
4) Guy Lafleur
5) Dennis Potvin
6) Patrick Kane
7) Connor McDavid
8) Gilbert Perrault
9) Mike Modano
10) Dale Hawerchuk
11) Eric Lindros
12) Marc-Andre Fleury
13) Vincent Lecavlier
14) Steven Stamkos
15) Ilya Kovalchuk
16) John Tavares
17) Joe Thornton
18) Wendel Clark
19) Mats Sundin
20) Nathan MacKinnon
21) Rick Nash
22) Taylor Hall
23) Auston Matthews
24) Bobby Smith
25) Chris Philips
26) Rejean Houle
27) Billy Harris
28) Pierre Turgeon
29) Roman Hamrilk
30) Aaron Ekblad
31) Mel Bridgman
32) Owen Nolan
33) Rob Ramage
34) Ed Jovanovski
35) Rick Green
36) Dale McCourt
37) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
38) Gord Kluzak
39) Rick DiPietro
40) Bryan Berard
41) Nico Hischier
42) Erik Johnson
43) Joe Murphy
44) Patrik Stefan
45) Nail Yakupov
46) Brian Lawton
47) Greg Joly
48) Doug Wickenhesier
49) Alexandre Daigle

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Give him some time, he'll go way higher up on that list.

Just like I doubt Nico Hischier is going to be 41 for his entire career as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At least this is one list where fans of other teams can not complain about TSN ranking Matthews to high because he plays in Toronto, like when they ranked him #10 on their top 50 players list prior to this past season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Haha that's a good place to start for sure. I don't follow these things closely, are these the same clowns who didn't include Malkin in their top 100?
It's a TSN list of players selected 1st overall in the modern era of the NHL draft since 1969. So this is nothing like Malkin not being included on the top 100 players of all time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's a TSN list of players selected 1st overall in the modern era of the NHL draft since 1969. So this is nothing like Malkin not being included on the top 100 players of all time.

Ah Ok, if that wasn't done by TSN, who was it? (not that I really care).

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
All kinds of things wrong with that list but whatever...expect that Matthews will raise his ranking as his career progresses

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good to be slightly better than halfway on the list at this early stage in his career. Interesting to mix F, D and G and players that are retired (HOFer or otherwise) or still playing - and at different points in their careers.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That's a bad list

Thornton is too low, and if Matthews and Hischier are rated low because they're still new, wtf is McDavid doing above some of the players he's above.

3 years in the league....

Year 2: Ted Lindsey, Art Ross, Hart Trophy
Year 3: Art Ross

The above were no fluke seasons, and most definitely wasn't padding his stats with skilled linemates.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Sobering. Maybe I want Tavares after all.

(That Marleau contract was supremely sabotaging to everything holy! Now we must pay!)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
3 years in the league....

Year 2: Ted Lindsey, Art Ross, Hart Trophy
Year 3: Art Ross

The above were no fluke seasons, and most definitely wasn't padding his stats with skilled linemates.
I wasn't saying anything close to that, I fully expect McDavid to be at the top of the list soon. He's an incredible player and probably a top 3-4 player on that list already in terms of skill.

But Perrault, Modano, Hawerchuk, Thornton all have 1300+ points and hardware of their own, and Lindros had an incredible (tho short) career as well. Kinda hard to say since I don't know what they're basing it on because I'm at work, and can't watch the video -- I just don't see the logic in having him above these players yet have Hischier, and Matthews where they are, doesn't add up.

Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with McDavid being that high -- I'd have him higher.. My problem is that it seems like they're basing it on what the players have accomplished throughout their careers, and not based on skill -- yet have McDavid above some HHOF players. Just seems like it's all over the place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only player who I would debate that does not belong ahead of Matthews is Nathan MacKinnon. Yes this season he played great and is a finalist for the Hart Trophy. However Matthews rookie season alone was better than any of MacKinnon's first 4 NHL seasons.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There is a lot wrong with that list but the coup de gras was Daigle being on that list. I know he was a first overall but seriously?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
He'll move up eventually.

Clark above Sundin is what's wrong with the list.

Here’s the criteria TSN applied:
1. The player’s impact on the team that drafted them.
2. The player’s performance over the totality of his NHL career
3. The player’s achievements relative to those who were drafted No. 2 and 3

For the Leafs, Gary Leeman and Wilf Paiement had more points in a season then Sundin. Mats Sundin goes down as a good Leaf with plenty of fellow company like Olczyk, Vaive,
Bill Derlago, Phil Kessel, John Anderson. He was never as good as Doug Gilmour and perhaps one of the least emotional leaders the Leafs have ever had. Big talented forward that
could get a goal and two assists in games he just mailed in. Clark made impacts that shut off the rest of the world off until everyone came to their senses.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Yeah forget Matthews right now he only has 2 seasons under his belt. More focused on Sundin. How is Tavares even ahead of him? Or Kovalchuk?

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad