TSN: Auston Matthes ranked #23 among 1st overall picks in the modern era

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Here’s the criteria TSN applied:
1. The player’s impact on the team that drafted them.
2. The player’s performance over the totality of his NHL career
3. The player’s achievements relative to those who were drafted No. 2 and 3

For the Leafs, Gary Leeman and Wilf Paiement had more points in a season then Sundin. Mats Sundin goes down as a good Leaf with plenty of fellow company like Olczyk, Vaive,
Bill Derlago, Phil Kessel, John Anderson. He was never as good as Doug Gilmour and perhaps one of the least emotional leaders the Leafs have ever had. Big talented forward that
could get a goal and two assists in games he just mailed in. Clark made impacts that shut off the rest of the world off until everyone came to their senses.

Sorry, this is just laughable in so many different ways. Its amazing how some people think that PPG during the 80s is the same as PPG over the past couple decades. I guess that means Pat Boutette, who had a couple PPG seasons makes the grade as well, right? Doug Gilmour played 25+ minutes a game. Clark is amazingly overrated as an actual impact player on the leafs. The biggest impact he made was getting us the highest scoring Swedish player of all time.

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
All lists are subjective and I can live with a few abnormalities. Auston Matthews is just about right, he's already shaken our foundations, and will be much higher if the trend continues. He could be the best American forward of all time. That said, Kane and Modano are both ranked high. Thornton should be waayyyyyy higher. I'd put him above Vinny. The fact that he didn't stick with Boston is no excuse for ranking him so low. There aren't many players that can match Thornton's vision at his peak. Clark over Sundin is a joke. Everybody is high on Fleury right now, way too high. To put him above Lindros, Sundin etc. is laughable. Especially Lindros. Injury free Lindros would dwarf most on this list.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Maybe some number crunchers can help me out here, but wasn't Matthews still on pace for around if not more than 40 goals despite his 3 injuries? It's clear he was playing hurt but he was still putting up very good numbers, as long as this guy stays healthy he will be dominant.

Maybe one of if not the best all round centre in the game at some point in his career..

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Chris Phillips at 25 stands out like a sore thumb. That doesn't mean he was bad but many of those defensemen below him were/are higher impact defenders.

Here’s the criteria TSN applied:
1. The player’s impact on the team that drafted them.
2. The player’s performance over the totality of his NHL career
3. The player’s achievements relative to those who were drafted No. 2 and 3

With these rando criteria, Lindros should be dropped way down the list: no impact on the team that drafted him, shortened career, lesser career than Scott Niedermeyer.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Chris Phillips at 25 stands out like a sore thumb. That doesn't mean he was bad but many of those defensemen below him were/are higher impact defenders.

With these rando criteria, Lindros should be dropped way down the list: no impact on the team that drafted him, shortened career, lesser career than Scott Niedermeyer.
No impact on his team? If it weren't for Lindros, Quebec wouldn't have moved to Colorado and won two cups!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Sorry, this is just laughable in so many different ways. Its amazing how some people think that PPG during the 80s is the same as PPG over the past couple decades. I guess that means Pat Boutette, who had a couple PPG seasons makes the grade as well, right? Doug Gilmour played 25+ minutes a game. Clark is amazingly overrated as an actual impact player on the leafs. The biggest impact he made was getting us the highest scoring Swedish player of all time.

Sundin to impact is like a vending machine to customer service. He flopped the product out. At any point, one could of come out with a dolly, haul him away and replace him with someone else that could do the job and you'd lose nothing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
All lists are subjective and I can live with a few abnormalities. Auston Matthews is just about right, he's already shaken our foundations, and will be much higher if the trend continues. He could be the best American forward of all time. That said, Kane and Modano are both ranked high. Thornton should be waayyyyyy higher. I'd put him above Vinny. The fact that he didn't stick with Boston is no excuse for ranking him so low. There aren't many players that can match Thornton's vision at his peak. Clark over Sundin is a joke. Everybody is high on Fleury right now, way too high. To put him above Lindros, Sundin etc. is laughable. Especially Lindros. Injury free Lindros would dwarf most on this list.

Seems about right.

Sundin to impact is like a vending machine to customer service. He flopped the product out. At any point, one could of come out with a dolly, haul him away and replace him with someone else that could do the job and you'd lose nothing.

:confused::confused:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Wendel Clark was a more rare player but Mats Sundin was a quantum level above Clark as a player:

Clark: Power/physical winger with a killer wrist shot and who even developed some additional offensive skills as his career progressed. Flaws: Terrible defensive player, overzealous - tendency to take inopportune penalties, too brave - damaged his body at a young age.

Sundin: Unquestioned number 1 center, key player to defend against in every game, large and durable, flawless diplomat, first ballot Hall of Famer. Flaws: too even tempered, didn't go into his extra gear often enough.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
564 career points in 793 games during an inflated era for stats.

10 spots back: 1327 points in 1294 games (including many post prime years in the deadpuck era).

Come on!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How is Sundin behind Clark, Kovalchuk and Tavares? How is Gilbert Perreault 8th when he basically had a similar career to what Sundin put together?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wasn't saying anything close to that, I fully expect McDavid to be at the top of the list soon. He's an incredible player and probably a top 3-4 player on that list already in terms of skill.

But Perrault, Modano, Hawerchuk, Thornton all have 1300+ points and hardware of their own, and Lindros had an incredible (tho short) career as well. Kinda hard to say since I don't know what they're basing it on because I'm at work, and can't watch the video -- I just don't see the logic in having him above these players yet have Hischier, and Matthews where they are, doesn't add up.

Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with McDavid being that high -- I'd have him higher.. My problem is that it seems like they're basing it on what the players have accomplished throughout their careers, and not based on skill -- yet have McDavid above some HHOF players. Just seems like it's all over the place.

Yes I understand what your saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->