Austin Watson arrested for domestic violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ya women who get the **** beat out of them don't come forward because they're worried that the person who beat the **** out of them might get in trouble. That makes sense.

Take a lap.

Yeah that's why Bobby Ryan's mom ran away with his dad and their kids instead of having him go to jail and be free of him.

One day when you grow up and enter adult life you might actually know what the f*** you're talking about, maybe.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Yeah that's why Bobby Ryan's mom ran away with his dad and their kids instead of having him go to jail and be free of him.

One day when you grow up and enter adult life you might actually know what the **** you're talking about, maybe.
Lets all make a blanket statement why women stay in an abusive relationship.

Its 100 percent about love for every single one of them. They all think alike am i right?

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Personally, unless he gets convicted, what is even the point of reporting this? I find the whole reporting of crimes before a conviction stupid.
This isn't new. Crimes have always been reported and discussed well before their conviction.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I'm not sure why the frequency of someone loving their abuser is even a topic for debate. Abusers should be shamed regardless of how their victims deal with trauma.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm not sure why the frequency of someone loving their abuser is even a topic for debate. Abusers should be shamed regardless of how their victims deal with trauma.

The word abuse has a very broad and unclear meaning because something very minimal could be considered abuse. Something atrocious could be considered abuse. To treat the person in question the same way in both scopes regardless of the situation is wrong.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
So just to be clear, your argument is that most women who are being abused love their husband and want to stay with them?

Most women end up staying, be it for love, children, lifestyle with vs without, and punishment doled out to the abuser impacts them as well (Voynov's wife having to go back to Russia for example) but they get no recourse for it. That's why so many victims (both male and female) go to extreme lengths to cover up abuse.

paragon

May 5, 2010
So rare that it was newsworthy. How many times have the true reports of women who have been assaulted gone unheeded? Too many, and for too long.
The only thing rare was that it was caught on camera.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Owned as in you showed one example where some piece of **** beat his wife and his poor wife decided to stay with him?

Do we need to go look for examples where the abuser beats his wife and she actually wants out of the relationship? If you seriously think there are more of the former than the latter you should have your brain checked.
I don't know what the entire debate has been about so I dont want to get too involved but he's not wrong about victims of domestic abuse staying with their partner. More often than not, victims will not report abuse to authorities the first time it happens. That doesn't mean they will not eventually go to the police but abuse usually doesn't start with a complete beating out of the gate on the first date. It typically starts with mental abuse, then moves to something as simple as blocking a door during a fight, then to physically restraining someone, then to a shove, and then to actually striking. That kind of progression leads a victim to feel like what they're going through is the norm and it usually takes something really bad or someone else seeing or hearing it for it to actually get reported to the police.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This isn't new. Crimes have always been reported and discussed well before their conviction.

I know it's not new. You missed my point tho. I'm saying that it's stupid to report arrests for crimes. Well, minor ones like this anyway. If the charges get dropped, then what? You've dragged someone's name through the mud for what exactly?

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
The word abuse has a very broad and unclear meaning because something very minimal could be considered abuse. Something atrocious could be considered abuse. To treat the person in question the same way in both scopes regardless of the situation is wrong.

Ok cool but that's not what I was talking about.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I know it's not new. You missed my point tho. I'm saying that it's stupid to report arrests for crimes. Well, minor ones like this anyway. If the charges get dropped, then what? You've dragged someone's name through the mud for what exactly?
I don't disagree to an extent. I think it's more the way they are reported and the idiots that read them that turn it into a problem. Stuff like this is reported the instant someone finds out regardless of how much information they have. To me, if they don't have enough information to write a two paragraph article about it, it shouldn't be reported. When someone literally tweets out the information with one sentence, that's not good. The internet has made this a problem when it really never was before. I literally watched OJ Simpson drive down the highway in his Bronco and at the time, nobody even knew what the hell he was running for but we didn't have the internet back them to instantly find him guilty so as information traveled slower, so did judgement.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I guess this isn't obvious to some folks, but the thing that's especially cruel about domestic violence is that is violence inflicted upon someone with whom one is in a loving/familial relationship. Can't you see how that creates psychological conflict within a victim? People seem to indicate that this is a syndrome, or somehow irrational. It isn't. It's the most natural thing.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Great , I wasn't talking about you. If you're not conflating both extremes then you're doing it the right way.

But you quoted me and completely missed the point of my post. I have no idea what "conflating both extremes" means in the context of my post. When I use abuse in the context of relationships, I mean a pattern of physical or emotional mistreatment. When the topic is why victims stay in abusive relationships, the severity of abuse is a meaningless distinction to make unless we're talking about the rationalization victims make. Abusers should be shamed regardless of the severity of their abuse. Pointing out that some abuse is worse than others just feels like an appeal to relative privation.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Most women end up staying, be it for love, children, lifestyle with vs without, and punishment doled out to the abuser impacts them as well (Voynov's wife having to go back to Russia for example) but they get no recourse for it. That's why so many victims (both male and female) go to extreme lengths to cover up abuse.
Ok well I can agree with some of this.

I don't necessarily agree that most want to stay, but it certainly is a complex issue. If it is minor cases of abuse (i.e. shouting matches or pushing where both partners are involved) I would definitely agree that a lot of the victims are inclined to stay for various reasons including those you mentioned. In more extreme situations where there is significant abuse resulting in injury, I find it more likely that the victims are staying out of fear than preference. If the victim wants to stay with the abuser then yes punishment to the abuser is unlikely to help the victim, although it could result in the victim realizing the cycle of abuse and wanting out of the relationship.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
But you quoted me and completely missed the point of my post. I have no idea what "conflating both extremes" means in the context of my post. When I use abuse in the context of relationships, I mean a pattern of physical or emotional mistreatment. When the topic is why victims stay in abusive relationships, the severity of abuse is a meaningless distinction to make unless we're talking about the rationalization victims make. Abusers should be shamed regardless of the severity of their abuse. Pointing out that some abuse is worse than others just feels like an appeal to relative privation.

I might have accidentally quoted you then.

Shamed to different degrees in my opinion. For very minimal things like a shove and someone with no history I think minimal consequences. People with history, and inflict a ton of damage should be dealt with consequences that correlate to one another.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Are you having difficulty making posts with actual substance?

What point are you trying to make cause you're not making any.

If you're going to go around throwing bs accusations, at least read the thread. the poster in question is the one who brought up an unrelated racial incident.

I was trying to find a polite way to say the media is very broken. Sports media is a crude bully civil rights angle to it, I'm of the opinion that the Devante Smith Pelly thing was blown out of proportion, metoo/times up is a witch hunt, the celebrating of taking Russia's flag away in the Olympics wasn't really about steroid abuse.

So let's not pretend that the politically charge undertones don't run both ways. Sort of the point I was making, both sides tend to discuss everything but the what happen, whats best and how should this be handled.

I guess it's just ignorance day.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yiiiiiikes. The acknowledgement of white privilege is not racist but okay. I'm glad you told me that you're also not white because it's shining a light on the fact that you may have some internalized issues in regards to your own relationship with race (something also extremely prevalent in my marginalized community). Oh well.

Lmao. I have no issues with where I'm from. I love my people and my heritage. My entire family came to the US 20 years ago and are all financially successful with families.

I don't believe in white privilege because if any of the crap you said was true, we'd all be in poverty. White people never held us down. There's even scholarship programs for minorities and preferred enrollment for minorities.

This white privilege you talk about, I've never seen it, because it doesn't exist. The only privilege here is claiming victim status rather than taking control of your own life.

Reactions: BonMorrison
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad