Austin Watson arrested for domestic violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
DV charges, barring violent ****, are usually a joke. 100 bucks it gets dismissed
What a horrible take.

Watson is innocent until proven guilty so I'm not going to demonize him, but to say that DV charges are usually a joke is exactly why women who are assaulted don't want to come forward.

Just a terrible mindset to have.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
What a horrible take.

Watson is innocent until proven guilty so I'm not going to demonize him, but to say that DV charges are usually a joke is exactly why women who are assaulted don't want to come forward.

read the thread before posting. But yeah they are usually a joke and get dropped. text messages can count as DV. My ex got one for shattering my window, but yeah only guys get DV charges. 99% of the time they arent violent.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
What a poopy offseason for poopy NHL people if all this stuff turns out to be true.

We're only just getting starting into the offseason as well. Sad. I hope it doesn't get to NFL levels. Seems like there's been a fair bit of DV in the NHL in the past few years though.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Yikes, I really liked him as a player too, but I will never be a fan of someone that hurts a woman. Will be interesting to see how the league treats this in comparison to Voynov.

Reactions: amethyst

paragon

May 5, 2010
What a horrible take.

Just like Hoffman and his girlfriend are innocent until proven guilty...

These days we have reverse burden of proof because of social media. You are condemned unless you can prove your innocence. Remember how people threw Patrick Kane under the bus when a gold digger tried to set him up.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
literally all the non anecdotal stuff you said?

"only guys get DV charges"
"99% of the time they aren't violent"

1. that was sarcasm. sorry you didnt pick up on that. i said my ex got one, shes a female.

2. yeah i exaggerated, good god. not that hard to tell.

3. im not trying to down play this or similar crimes, just stating what i have witnessed in court rooms and dealt with personally.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Just like Hoffman and his girlfriend are innocent until proven guilty...

These days we have reverse burden of proof because of social media. You are condemned unless you can prove your innocence. Remember how people threw Patrick Kane under the bus when a gold digger tried to set him up.
I do agree that social media and the likes have made innocence until proven guilty difficult. That being said, people are allowed to come to their own determinations on a case, they don't have to blindly follow what the legal ruling is. The court system and rule of law does not get it right 100% of the time, not even close really. What people shouldn't do is blindly take one person's versions of events over an others, if there is no proof to back either up.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wouldn't call any domestic assault charge a joke.

But thanks for coming out. Anyways, the NHL should take a page from the MLB and treat this like the Osuna case.

Yup. Like most places, the right and just thing to do is for him to be on paid leave while under investigation/arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad