Austin Watson arrested for domestic violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't disagree to an extent. I think it's more the way they are reported and the idiots that read them that turn it into a problem. Stuff like this is reported the instant someone finds out regardless of how much information they have. To me, if they don't have enough information to write a two paragraph article about it, it shouldn't be reported. When someone literally tweets out the information with one sentence, that's not good. The internet has made this a problem when it really never was before. I literally watched OJ Simpson drive down the highway in his Bronco and at the time, nobody even knew what the hell he was running for but we didn't have the internet back them to instantly find him guilty so as information traveled slower, so did judgement.

I'm fine with it if they do it like they do here in Canada (at least in instances like this case) where they said someone was arrested for domestic assault, abuse, whatever. They don't give the ages, names, or the location of the parties involved. It'll just say like "a male was arrested in the east end of town last night for a domestic". Then if the person gets convicted of it (and warrants jailtime) then they report the who and what and whatever.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
Literally not true. Name one example of someone being charged for sexual assault for "looking at someone."

Whenever someone makes a comment like this it should be a huge red flag. This is likely a person who is afraid about where the discussion about sexual assault and consent is heading because it challenges their own behaviours.

:rolleyes:

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Is there are a Stat that says straight white men are often blind to what you claim them go be blind to ?

No, but you're asking for something to be quantified that obviously couldn't possibly be quantified. It's a pretty shitty way to dismiss an argument that I think is pretty indisputable: that minorities face unique challenges in their lives, that intersectionality will compound those challenges and that people who don't belong to those minority groups may not understand their experiences.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I might have accidentally quoted you then.

Shamed to different degrees in my opinion. For very minimal things like a shove and someone with no history I think minimal consequences. People with history, and inflict a ton of damage should be dealt with consequences that correlate to one another.

Could you name a single person who has ever said that all abuse must be treated equally and in the most severe terms? Obviously there's a degree of severity with any crime and no one is suggesting that if this was a one off shove from Watson that he should be on death row. This reminds me of the arguments going around about Louis CK a while back that asked people to stop being so hard on him because Harvey Weinstein was worse. Nah, f*** that. No one ever said that Louis CK was as bad as Weinstein or that he should've faced the same punishment. Louis CK doesn't have to be as bad as Weinstein for people to call out his shitty behaviour. Pointing out that some people behave worse is concern t-wording (the word will get my post deleted), plain and simple.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
dude, you literally just asked for stats while supporting your claim with an anecdote. that's so dumb.

Because my anecdote disproves his claim. That's why I want a stat that disproves my anecdote. I didn't think I had to spell out the purpose of using an anecdote to disprove an anecdote. Smh.

Use facts.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Let's wait for evidence before we railroad Watson.

I'm not saying we railroad anyone, but he did admit to shoving her according to the article.

Charges may vary, but the arrest was at least warranted by Watson's own admission.

EDIT: Wait, is this a thread about race politics?

EDIT AGAIN: I regret posting here.

Reactions: Amorgus and Sol

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
HFBoard poster: "Lets not make assumptions, innocent until proven guilty! Its probably the other person's fault!"
Victim blaming is a popular pastime here.
Yes. You revealed me.
Bon... I'm so disappointed.

But yeah, that poster seems to be projecting :laugh:

Personally, unless he gets convicted, what is even the point of reporting this? I find the whole reporting of crimes before a conviction stupid.
This type of mentality is how stuff gets, and has been in the past, swept under the rug and ignored for so long before it eventually comes to light due to the bravery of those who are often blamed for being victims who are only guilty of suffering at the hands of more powerful people.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonMorrison

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
What a horrible take.

Watson is innocent until proven guilty so I'm not going to demonize him, but to say that DV charges are usually a joke is exactly why women who are assaulted don't want to come forward.

Just a terrible mindset to have.
It’s also a terrible mindset to say it’s why WOMEN don’t come forward.

As a person with a fair bit of experience regarding domestic violence issues.....men are victimized at a very similar rate to women.......they are just much much less likely to come forward due to embarrassment etc.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I hope you make it all the way through the thread before it gets cleaned up. It's actually incredible.
Ah, I actually had the poster on ignore from his previous rhetoric you and @LeafsLegendAkiBerg were, unfortunately, having to deal with.

It wouldn't be an HF thread touching on these topics without a special few handwaving away domestic violence allegations and using their singular personal experience to pretend as if the plethora of data and peer reviewed studies documenting the insidious nature of privilege and systemic oppression don't exist.

Anything that calls into question their ignorant beliefs is like kryptonite.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This thread has turned into something entirely unrelated to the news article.

I'm locking it. This thread needs a time-out & I need to get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad