Prospect Info: Austin Osmanski (2016, 189th) – '18-19: Rights relinquished; playing OA year in OHL

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Giving the local kid a shot with the 7th. No problems with that. I assume by the 7th round, the scouts are looking for Buffalo kids, family friends, the Vesey family gardener, kid's with cool social media handles, or players with the ability to grow a beard already.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Brock has him in his "Honorable Mentions":

Austin Osmanski - Defence - Mississauga Steelheads
Osmanski is actually a similar player and prospect to Tyler Nother. He's another big defender (6'4) with decent mobility and puck skills, but who remains a bit of a project. Towards the beginning and into the midseason, I had Osmanski pretty firmly in my top 50 (41 at midseason). But some poor late season showings, combined with some other players really stepping up, caused Osmanski to take a bit of a hit in my rankings. At times, he showcases strong offensive potential and an ability to skate the puck out of his own end. But then at other times, he seems to struggle with overhandling the puck and making poor decisions. Defensively, he has excellent gap control and a great reach which he uses to keep forwards to the outside. But late in the season I saw him losing too many loose puck battles for a bigger defender. That being said, like Nother, I wouldn't be surprised if an NHL team rolled the dice on him late. There were definitely times this year where I thought to myself, this guy could be an NHL player.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Does anyone know more about him as a player?

I know everyone hates the +- stat but I think when I guy has a +- significantly higher than the rest of his team it stands out. Pretty much the only guys on Mississauga with positive +- were Nylander (+8) McLeod (+10) and Osmanski (+19).

Is it crazy to think that he may have a better shot than your typical 7th round "local kid" pick?

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Super excited to see how this kid develops after watching him today. Good passes, good skating and plays quick and aggressive

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Does anyone know more about him as a player?

I know everyone hates the +- stat but I think when I guy has a +- significantly higher than the rest of his team it stands out. Pretty much the only guys on Mississauga with positive +- were Nylander (+8) McLeod (+10) and Osmanski (+19).

Is it crazy to think that he may have a better shot than your typical 7th round "local kid" pick?

Called it.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Mississauga's on-ice portion of training camp began today and Osmanski was skating with Team Blue in their intra-squad scrimmage.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl - Sabres Notebook - East Aurora's Osmanski Draws A Crowd.

Austin Osmanski couldn’t wait to see what he looked like in a Sabres uniform. He wasn’t alone.
The East Aurora native had tickets for 50 friends and relatives Saturday night against the Devils, and more people showed up on their own.
It continued the whirlwind run Osmanski has enjoyed since Buffalo drafted the 18-year-old in the seventh round in June.

“Right after the draft, it was a completely different lifestyle,” said the defenseman for Mississauga of the Ontario Hockey League.
“You see people that you know and people that you don’t know, and they know you.
It’s kind of died down now being back in Mississauga. It’s a normal-person status and stuff like that.”

Osmanski started on the blue line alongside Brycen Martin, a third-round pick from 2014.
All seven of Buffalo’s defensemen are left-handed shots, which has forced Osmanski to make adjustments.

“We’ve had to practice both sides, practice shooting from the right side, which I haven’t done really ever,” he said. “It’s going to be different, for sure.”
It was different pulling on the uniform, too. “I’ve been here once before at development camp, and this is just another step,” Osmanski said.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/09/17/sabres-prospect-tournament-ideal-head-start-amerks/

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
In Windsor at the Spitfires - Steelheads game. Osmanski has played well but unfortunately he lost an edge in the offensive zone which resulted in a Windsor 2 on 1 the other way and a goal. You could see how horrible he felt. Middle of the second period.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Osmanski didn't play the rest of the period though he just lost an edge. He played a lot in the third but wasn't out for the last few minutes when they needed a goal.
I will say Michael McLeod was easily the best player on the ice. He outplayed Logan Brown who got drafted one spot ahead of him though they both got points.
Prospects Camp invite Jalen Chatfield looked pretty good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Osmanski didn't play the rest of the period though he just lost an edge. He played a lot in the third but wasn't out for the last few minutes when they needed a goal.
I will say Michael McLeod was easily the best player on the ice. He outplayed Logan Brown who got drafted one spot ahead of him though they both got points.
Prospects Camp invite Jalen Chatfield looked pretty good.

Glad Osmanski is okay.

And I'd love Chatfield as a potential UDUFA target at the end of the season.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@SabresProspects - Austin Osmanski scores a third-period goal as Mississauga comes back to beat Flint 3-2 in a shootout.
With his team trailing 2-0, Osmanski kicked off the late rally when he accepted a return pass, went to the net and scored with a forehand.

@SabresProspects - With a developing confidence when skating the puck, Osmanski gets his first goal of the year in just his fourth game of the season.
A year ago, Osmanski scored just two goals all season long, with both coming in his 16th game of the schedule.

Sabres Prospects Recap - Friday, October 7 - http://www.sabresprospects.com/2016/10/107-recap-pu-osmanski-spark-victories.html

Last edited:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Greyhounds vs Steelheads on NHLN, Osmanski had a few solid plays, a nice PK breakup, but then got beat wide by Senyshyn for a goal 5-on-5. Looked to be backing off at the blue line after that, and got nicked for an after-the-whistle penalty.

FWIW Nicholas Hague ('17 eligible) of Mississauga has looked like a mirror image of Ristolainen, a big mobile all-situations left-shot d-man who could be on the board when the Sabres select.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad