AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Both teams are in the same place they were last year, albeit slightly different 2nd round results.

ACD had lost three straight to SFX last year, but forced them to 5 this year. While SMU lost in four last year, the first two games were blow-outs - this year they lose in three but the first two games were tight while game 3 at home as not.

I'm going with ACD - they rebounded last year and won in 2 straight and have the same team this year. They know what's on the line and want to return to improve on their 3rd place finish.

The winner of this game will likely get ALB in the 1st round regardless of UNB/SFX outcome - a rematch with ACD would be great to see (can ALB vanquish their demons)

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
Bad first killed X last night. They weren't great all night, but the first 10 minutes killed them. 3-3 game from that point on. Need to respond with a much better game on Wednesday if they plan on forcing game three.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Thought this was the best place for this tidbit. I'm sure it will be a hotly discussed item next season.

The 2019 Winter Universiade is in Krasnoyarsk, Russian Siberia next year.

The proposed dates are March 2 to 12th. The University Cup starts on the 14th.

The AUS is the assign conference to attend this event.

My thoughts on this - start & finish the season early to allow a full team to go after the playoffs.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yup. Late Feb or early March before leaving for Russia.

Same problem for the Women as well - the Women's Nationals starts on the 14th

Who would represent the conference though? Just players from eliminated team? I can’t imagine the 2 teams who are going to Nationals would be too eager to send guys.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There would be no way any team that is going to the Nationals would allow a player to be sent, obviously, they are not going to be picking your players that are sitting in the stands. Also, with the roster restriction, you may need one of the guys due to injury or suspension. I am sure that you can pick a pretty strong team from the players of the teams that don't qualify for Nationals. Only issue would be that you are picking your team at the last moment.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
For the last few FISU games, the hockey tournament starts on day 1, so you have to leave a few days early and it's a 31hr flight so you probably need a few extra days (Tue 26th/Wed 27th for a Saturday start on the 2nd).

They probably have to submitted the roster a week before the event (and that's being generous) - Feb 23rd. The second round would have to finish a few days before this so you can comb through the players and figure out the coaching staff (yup - who's going to coach this team? I can't see a coach of an AUS finalist just leaving and missing the finals).

If the second round ended on the 20th, you'd have 3 days to get a roster and staff together from the leftovers. The finals would be on the 25/21/1 and end 2 weeks before the University Cup. No players or staff from the finalist would go to the FISU games.
--
Reduce the season to four(4) games per for 24 (down from 30) and save 6 games (3 weekends) and end the playoffs on the 20th (see above) and leave the next weekend. The AUS champion & Runner-up would be off for 22 days and their all-stars would fly directly to Lethbridge when they return.
--
OR the USPORTS/AUS may choose not to go.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
UNB takes the AUS title in 2 straight with a 5-0 win tonight, Acadia and SMU going to a game three.
Dubeau looked great tonight, also named MVP of the playoffs!
I think it will be pretty hard for UNB not to remain at #1 for the Ucup finals!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That was about as good a game you can play...completely shut down the X-Men (who, in all fairness, were missing Cook and Needham plus Centorame for most of the game).

Who would have guessed the biggest strengths all year for X (special teams and goaltending) would kill them in this series.

Dubeau was fantastic all playoffs.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I was expecting a closer in Antigonish for sure. Almost a perfect game by UNB. X was hurting a little. Seemed like they were resigned to the loss after the second goal. Overall I think the VReds wanted this more because of the past two years. Both teams will get a much needed week off before the U Cup.

I didn't see any of Acadia vs SMU. Interesting to note that Cheveldave had replaced Brassard in the SMU net. Safe to say if the Huskies win Friday he will start in the U Cup. Alex Cord got a 5min major so might be suspended.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
One more team will punch their ticket to Fredericton tomorrow night, I am leaning towards Acadia since they are the home team.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If Acadia plays like they did in game 1.... SMU did a good job in game 2 keeping the Axe at 2 goals. On the big ice Acadia can spread SMU out and perhaps take advantage of the openings. As always, penalties will be crucial!!!!
In the regular season head-to-head Acadia had a 45% PP vs 14% for SMU. In the 2 games ACA is 1-9 and SMU is 0-10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad