AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well Acadia gets the job done. Four goals in the third to win 4-2.

UPEI edges SMU 2-1. Didn't see the game but it looks like the Panthers played a better defensive game keeping the shots under 30. Still I can't see them beating the Huskies on Sunday.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Well Acadia gets the job done. Four goals in the third to win 4-2.

UPEI edges SMU 2-1. Didn't see the game but it looks like the Panthers played a better defensive game keeping the shots under 30. Still I can't see them beating the Huskies on Sunday.
Panthers were much more aggressive on the puck!
I don't think they beat SMU at the forum.
Still anything can happen, it's one game,!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I think that UPEI will need to get an amazing game from their goalie, whichever they decide to start to have a chance at this one. SMU is hard to beat at home.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB vs SMU - I'm picking UNB in four but this will be a very close series. Huskies are definitely capable of pulling off the upset. Last two games of the regular season between these two teams were VRed wins but only by a goal.

STFX vs Acadia - Safe bet is probably X in four. Now that most of their roster is healthy I'm sure that the Axemen are going to play better in the playoffs than the second half. Probably depends if their goaltending can hold up though.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I would agree that X and UNB are favoured. but SMU and Acadia are clicking. The 3 teams that advance to the UCup will be battle hardened! Losers will face off in a best of 3 series, to advance to Nationals. If the two teams are Acadia and SMU, it would be the Axe who would hold home ice advantage. Last year it was Acadia beating SMU in that series, this year I like SMU chances, if that plays out again.
Wouldn't it be a surprise to see the top 2 teams in this position?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I would agree that X and UNB are favoured. but SMU and Acadia are clicking. The 3 teams that advance to the UCup will be battle hardened! Losers will face off in a best of 3 series, to advance to Nationals. If the two teams are Acadia and SMU, it would be the Axe who would hold home ice advantage. Last year it was Acadia beating SMU in that series, this year I like SMU chances, if that plays out again.
Wouldn't it be a surprise to see the top 2 teams in this position?

There is no 3rd place series if UNB should lose their semi-final series vs SMU (if X also lost, they would be out as there is no need to determine a 3rd place team when one of the two teams is UNB).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB -v- SMU is always a tough series to handicap.

In 2012-13 UNB win the final series 2-1, on the shoulders of LaCosta, and again in the CIS Finals.

In 2013-14 SMU frustrates UNB to no-end and with Peters in nets the Huskies go on to win 3-1. Two games go to 2OT (both going to SMU) and the 4th game was 1-0.

Three years of no post season games

In 2016-17 UNB wins both games at home and split on the road and win 3-1. Blow-outs at home but tight 1 goal games on the road.

The key will be UNB winning the first two games at home - they don't have a good record when they split at home. They are 4-1 this season with scores of 4-2, 5-1, 4-5 SO, 3-2 & 5-4 = 21-14 > 3 v 2. So, with the last three games being by 1 goal - it will be close. Good goalies will be the key to a win - it will be interesting to see how long a leash Dubeau gets.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
UNB and SMU both more than strong enough to win the semis. SMU is built in a manner that causes UNB grief. Team with the best goaltending should win and play X in final.

But what has set UNB apart from others is the ability to find that extra oomph come Nationals.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
No matter what, I think that both series are going to be knock em out, drag em out. Like said previously, UNB will need to take two at home, I don't think that they will do well in Halifax when they are must wins. SMU just seems to bring out their best in those games. A month ago, I wouldn't have given Acadia a chance vs StFx, but they seem to have turned it around, should be a good series but don't see X losing it.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Kris Bennet named AUS Rookie of the year and Randy Gazzola Most Sportsmanlike and men's hockey Community Service Award winner

StFX's Chase Marchand named AUS MVP
COACH OF THE YEAR (Bob Boucher Trophy): Brad Peddle, StFX X-Men

First Team All-Stars:
Goaltender: Chase Marchand, StFX (2nd year – Halifax, N.S.)
Defence: Jagger Dirk, StFX (4th year – Penticton, B.C.)
Defence: Ryan MacKinnon, UPEI (3rd year – Summerside, P.E.I.)
Forward: Hunter Garlent, Saint Mary's (2nd year – Thorold, Ont.)
Forward: Stephen Harper, Acadia (2nd year – Burlington, Ont.)
Forward: Michael Clarke, StFX (3rd year – London, Ont.)
Second Team All-Stars:
Goaltender: Corbin Boes, Dalhousie (4th year – Saskatoon, Sask.)
Defence: Randy Gazzola, UNB (4th year – Thorold, Ont.)
Defence: Cole MacDonald, StFX (2nd year – Wetaskiwin, Alta.)
Forward: Boston Leier, Acadia (4th year – Saskatoon, Sask.)
Forward: Chris Clapperton, UNB (3rd year – Cap d'Espoir, Que.)
Forward: Kris Bennett, UNB (1st year – Brampton, Ont.)
All-Rookie Team:
Goaltender: Rylan Parenteau, UNB (Saskatoon, Sask.)
Defence: Dylan Di Perna, Saint Mary's (Nobleton, Ont.)
Defence: Santino Centorame, StFX (Mississauga, Ont.)
Forward: Kris Bennett (Brampton, Ont.)
Forward: Kameron Kielly (Stratford, P.E.I.)
Forward: Jake Coughler, Saint Mary's (St. Catharines, Ont.)

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Close game at UNB tonight, found that they were just not clicking like normal, hopefully it was just a little rust from having the week off. SMU played well, I am sure that they would like to have two of the goals back. Should be another good one tomorrow night.

See that Acadia upset X tonight in Antigonish. I did notice that Bryson Cianfrone wasn't in the lineup, so obviously UNB submitted video of the slash. Hearing that he only got one game.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Wondering where Pomerleau was tonight...I checked the box score of the last regular season game against Dal thinking there might be because of a suspension, but he didn’t take any penalties that game.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
One of the better games that I've seen this year. Brassard really robbed UNB in the first stopping two breakaways and a point blank shot in the crease by Anderson. Of course the first and last goals he let in were bad.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Not to beat on that dead horse, but you know that the officiating is bad when the fans actually start chanting "Ref you suck" at the AUC...LOL

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
Officiating was questionable in the ACA/X game as well. Go watch Acadia’s first goal, bad enough goaltender interference, that even Marchand throws a fit. I don’t usually agree with Peddle’s tyrades at officials, but whoever was reffing that game deserved one after that. Along with the 5 min major to the X player at the end of the game, that essentially ended the game. Bad call.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I did notice that Bryson Cianfrone wasn't in the lineup, .... Hearing that he only got one game.

He, along with Matt Needham and Aaron Hoyles, were all serving 1-game suspensions. Cianfrone & Needham were Supplemental Discipline based on submitted video while Hoyles was the result of receiving two 10min misconducts in the same game which results in an automatic GM.

Wondering where Pomerleau was tonight....

Pomerleau was serving a 1-game suspension due to Supplemental Discipline based on submitted video.

Public Release of Discipline Actions
Now you may be wondering how I know all of this - well, the AUS now publishes discipline actions on their website. You will find it under "Member Info ->- Discipline"

AUS Discipline Page

Reactions: Prov1X

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
He, along with Matt Needham and Aaron Hoyles, were all serving 1-game suspensions. Cianfrone & Needham were Supplemental Discipline based on submitted video while Hoyles was the result of receiving two 10min misconducts in the same game which results in an automatic GM.

Pomerleau was serving a 1-game suspension due to Supplemental Discipline based on submitted video.

Public Release of Discipline Actions
Now you may be wondering how I know all of this - well, the AUS now publishes discipline actions on their website. You will find it under "Member Info ->- Discipline"

AUS Discipline Page
I did not know that, nice to see that they have made their decisions public, like I said before, you could get more info regarding suspensions at the Bantam AAA level than the AUS.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
In the SFX-ACA game last night, SFX dressed Matt Needham, he took warm-up and I’m told he was on the game sheet (until he was scratched) even though he was suspended from an incident at UNB on Feb 9. What is the protocol on this?

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
In the SFX-ACA game last night, SFX dressed Matt Needham, he took warm-up and I’m told he was on the game sheet (until he was scratched) even though he was suspended from an incident at UNB on Feb 9. What is the protocol on this?

Hearing from a source. That apparently Needham did not play X's final game against UPEI the day following the UNB game. Apparently X tried to use that as him already serving the suspension. No clue as to what happened last night regarding it, but you would have to think Acadia probably lost it once they saw him on the ice for warm-up, and something happened involving the league that made X scratch him.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Hearing from a source. That apparently Needham did not play X's final game against UPEI the day following the UNB game. Apparently X tried to use that as him already serving the suspension. No clue as to what happened last night regarding it, but you would have to think Acadia probably lost it once they saw him on the ice for warm-up, and something happened involving the league that made X scratch him.
Needham did not play in UPEI the following night, neither did Hoyle (who also got a one game suspension in Fredericton). So I am wondering what the issue would be with Needham dressing and not being able to play while Hoyle was allowed to play last night. The only thing that I can think of (and can't see it being the reason) is that Needham's came from "Video Review" while Hoyle's was an automatic suspension. And if you read the rules concerning suspensions, I am not sure if the following applies to his situation, but one would think that if he is did not play, it would count as his game for serving the suspension.

15.5 In instances where a five-minute major penalty for fighting, checking from behind or checking to the head has been assessed in the first game of a two-game weekend, or during an exhibition trip or series where multiple games are involved, coaches are to automatically sit the offending player for the next game pending the sport chair decision. If the resulting suspension is for one game, it shall be considered served. If the suspension is longer, the one game will count towards the suspension.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Yeah I’m wondering if Needham’s suspension hadn’t officially come down at the time of the UPEI game.
That has to be the reason, the suspension comes from the actual hit to the head penalty and not an accumulation of hit to the head or checking from behind penalties, which if had of been the case, I think that St Fx could have argued that they were aware that he would be suspended and decided to sit him out.
a. A total of three (3) two minute minors for checking from behind and/or checking to the head = one (1) game suspension
Since I was looking at the game sheet from that game, I am curious what Pomerleau did to get the one game suspension, he was not given any penalties in the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->